Did Mac Hollowell's progress make Durzi expendable

HOLLOW made Durzi Expendable

• Total voters

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
The 2019 draft is the first we'll get a true indication of Dubas's draft philosophy. Hunter' methods produced last years draft as much as anyone.
No, they didn't Dubas scrapped the draft board and owned the draft. This draft doesn't reflect Hunter because of how much they changed the board.

Reactions: zaqq

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Hollowell takes an absurd number of shots. I really like the way he plays, but all of these types of guys are expendable in trades for upgrades to the NHL roster.

vwbm

Aug 27, 2013
Hollowell takes an absurd number of shots. I really like the way he plays, but all of these types of guys are expendable in trades for upgrades to the NHL roster.
yes this is why you restock with the picks.
totally agree lets wait on Hollowell before casting judgement on the kid.. gotta feeling he may pan out you'll see... Krugg Spurgeon there's been smaller highly skilled D-men working out beautifuly.

Reactions: therealkoho

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
yes this is why you restock with the picks.
totally agree lets wait on Hollowell before casting judgement on the kid.. gotta feeling he may pan out you'll see... Krugg Spurgeon there's been smaller highly skilled D-men working out beautifuly.

Spurgeon looks like he stayed in the W 2 years after his draft, but made the jump to the NHL after 23 AHL games, Hollowell like Spurgeon is an above average skater who is equally effective both sides of the blueline. Durzi's skating is average, has good offensive instincts but he's still learning and struggling a bit with the defensive aspect of his game.

Durzi has some upside no doubt but the Leafs put his name on the available list for a reason

Reactions: vwbm

vwbm

Aug 27, 2013
can't wait to see him on the marlies..
only a matter of time.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Durzi is turning 21 soon ... 16 year olds play in the OHL.

The OHL only allows two 20 year olds per team ... Durzi was bullying children.

Reprehensible.

this is slander! in a full season Durzi barley cracks 20 PIM.
soft as butter!!!

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Why smurfs landed us the best D in a trade with another team in how many years?
Grundstrom's a smurf ? and Duzi while not the biggest guy isn't anywhere near as smurfish as "The Hollow Man" , also the first was the most valuable asset we gave up in the trade .

Thervguy

Oct 22, 2016
I watched him play the Generals today .Wow 3 for the hat trick, he scored to help win 3-2. Great skater ,very smart player ,and what super shot. Picked 2 corners.Not happy he beat my Generals though .

Last edited:
Reactions: Pyromaniac

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Durzi is turning 21 soon ... 16 year olds play in the OHL.

The OHL only allows two 20 year olds per team ... Durzi was bullying children.

Reprehensible.

LOL

Sean Durzi

Defense -- shoots R
Born Oct 21 1998 -- Mississauga, ONT
[20 yrs. ago]
Height 6.00 -- Weight 187 [183 cm/85 kg]

Durzi did what 49 points in 40 games as a 19 year old?
How many 16 year olds play in the OHL?
Aren't the 16 year old the special / elite potential players?

74?

20 teams?

3.7 per team

Okay, that puts it in better perspective.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
didn't like the Durzi pick but a D the size of a circus midget doesn't replace anyone

Dubas has to stop with his infatuation with drafting smurfs and guys who've already been passed over once/twice .
....and those glasses!....

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I doubt it, Duzi was probably still liked by Dubas but in the grand scheme of things was considered expendable.

Probably Sandin and maybe Liljegren are the only two guys in the prospect system that wouldn’t be moved at this point

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Natural Hatty today by Mac..how often does a D in the OHL do it? No idea but I dont even think Bouchard did

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
LOL

Sean Durzi

Defense -- shoots R
Born Oct 21 1998 -- Mississauga, ONT
[20 yrs. ago]
Height 6.00 -- Weight 187 [183 cm/85 kg]

Durzi did what 49 points in 40 games as a 19 year old?
How many 16 year olds play in the OHL?
Aren't the 16 year old the special / elite potential players?

74?

20 teams?

3.7 per team

Okay, that puts it in better perspective.

I know right .... he's turning 21 soon & there are 16 year olds in his league.

15 years olds too ... they're the special ones.

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013
Will be interesting to see how these late bloomers pan out.

I think the development piece of players being groomed in the AHL with world class facilities and top coaching is one way the Leafs can get ahead of competition

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I know right .... he's turning 21 soon & there are 16 year olds in his league.

15 years olds too ... they're the special ones.

If we go by insurance he'll be turning 21 soon April 22nd., right now he's 20. Yes, 74, 16 year olds, and I doubt he lines up exclusively against the 3.7 16 year olds every team ices on the same line.

Regardless, LA didn't take him because they thought he was without value.

Hopefully, everyone wins so that they can get together for another win-win situation.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Hollowell did not cause Durzi to get traded; however, many people aren't giving him enough credit. He has always been solid on the defensive side and liked to mix it up with other players. He now has 58 PTS in 46 GP as a defenseman in the OHL. Overager or not, that is spectacular. That production for a defenseman is uncommon, and he is still playing well in his own end.

He is the best defenseman in the OHL right now.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
Jake Muzzin made Durzi expendable.

I liked Durzi and was very curious to see what he may become. More so because he was a complete unknown but by definition the guy we are looking for. Right shot puck moving dman. However thats 2005-2015 leaf fan mentality. Currently the Leafs are making the moves they need to in order to potentially reach the summit.

Like in the Phil Kessel trade. Pengiuins get their cups and leafs turn the assets into Anderson and Kapanen. Im sure in hindsight the pens would love to have their assets back for Kessel, however they got what they wanted out of the deal and that is the Stanley cup(s).

Reactions: zaqq

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
To add, initially the feeling was disappointment when we invited Durzi to rookie camp and chose not to offer him a contract. Only to select him with a 2nd round pick the following draft. Seems like whiff, however this trade does show value in the selection.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Durzi was a C level prospect.

Weird, I vividly remember everyone pimping him when Dubas used a 2nd round pick to draft him as an overager.

People went on, at length, about how overagers are an untapped market and Dubas was smart for "exploiting" it.

Now he's smart for trading him away..

Funny how that works.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad