Did Gilmour ask to be traded?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Probably by people who lack those attributes themselves.

It's ironic that if he were the man that some wish, he would have walked as a UFA long before it got to this.

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
Bs. Potvin stood on his head for those two seasons. When his play went down, so did the boys. Was Cujo solid? You bet, but more often than not the Leafs were outscoring their problems during the Sundin years, and guess who led the charge?

I have never, ever in all my years as a Leafs fan heard it this way, it has always been the other way around.

I would be willing to bet that the 92-93 teams outscored the Quinn era teams handily.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Bob Rouse, Jamie Mccoun, Sylvaine Lebfebvre, Todd Gill, and Dave Ellett were as strong a defensive core as a 5 man tandem, the Leafs have ever had. None were superstars, none were PMD with flashy skillls, but they were hard to play against 5 on 5, 4 on 4, they rarely made any mistakes during that 2 year stretch.

cujoflutie

I have never, ever in all my years as a Leafs fan heard it this way, it has always been the other way around.

I would be willing to bet that the 92-93 teams outscored the Quinn era teams handily.

I'm on my phone so can't really look up the stats but the 1999 leafs led the league in goals while Potvin had the lowest GAA in 1992-93. Now that 93 team probably outscored the Quinn era teams but that was also an era in which potvins GAA of 2.50 led the league. It was a different game by the time Quinn got here.

Bob Rouse, Jamie Mccoun, Sylvaine Lebfebvre, Todd Gill, and Dave Ellett were as strong a defensive core as a 5 man tandem, the Leafs have ever had. None were superstars, none were PMD with flashy skillls, but they were hard to play against 5 on 5, 4 on 4, they rarely made any mistakes during that 2 year stretch.

and the #6 guy in 93 was Dmitri Mirnov whom Burns rarely played. I'd actually take our 2004 defense of Calle Johansen, Bryan Marchment, Ric Jackman, Aki Berg, Ken Klee, Tomas Kaberle, Brian Leetch, and Bryan McCabe over the Burns defense.

BillyD

JUST WIN BABY
Jun 23, 2009
To the older Leafs fans

heard a curious story the other day, that Gilmour asked for a trade to the Devils to save Cliff's job....anybody else heard anything like that or somewhat similar?

my memory is that leafs were rebuilding, dougie wanted out

MajorityRules*

Sounds like another former captain as well, what was his name now????

Not quite. One gave up on his team and wanted out. The other didn't want to give up on his team but had management give up on him.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I remember that time period fairly well.

There was never anything public from Gilmour. He never demanded a trade or quit on the team (like Chris Bosh did to the Raptors).

But, it was pretty obvious the team was on the down slope and Gilmour was really no longer that effective here and in some ways was blocking the ascendance of Mats Sundin to the primary forward on the team.

It was generally known that a trade was probably mutually beneficial to both parties.

It was awhile ago, but the closest situation I can think of was when Roy Halladay departed the Jays.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad