Did Dubas Trade away a future Conn Smythe Winner in Nazem Kadri?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
LOL. Slam dunks. Apologies to the kid, but those slam dunks not looking so good today.

McCann was a slam dunk. Dubas managed to kick a gift horse in the mouth in order to protect Holl, who he'll now look to dump. Your boy is quite the GM but if he is paying you to police the board and defend him to the grave, I get it. If not, I have no idea what your motives are.
:laugh: There really is no legitimate defense for these moves. Sometimes things don't work out, that shouldn't be so difficult to admit.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Signing Tavares and trading Kadri are highly related mistakes - Kadri was too good to be a 3C, and Tavares had his 2C spot. Combined, those 2 moves were a massive mistake. Naz and $6.5 mil in cap space is soooooo much better than Tavares.

Had we kept Naz, not signed Tavares, and used that $6.5 mil well to improve goaltending and depth, you have to think we’d have had far more playoff success by now.

Edit:

The problem was their was no need to go after Tavares. Kadri is a good second line centre, who was pushed to the third line, when JT got here. We would have saved so much money on the cap and find a big shutdown third line centre.
Hah, posted at the same time, but completely agree.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Why do people still talk about this? Kadri traded himself away. Years of run ins with management and coaching, internal suspensions, being call immature publicly, having team meetings with his parents... and then finally the playoff suspensions. He ran out of runway here as an ongoing behaviour issues, at a time the team was trying to change it's culture. Seriously, after all of this time, there are some people who don't get this?

pentaguyy

May 2, 2022
Imagining a world where he has one more suspension left in him.

Avs up 3-0 in the Cup Final, up 4-1 in Game 4, third period. Naz does something stupid... comeback, game lost. Suspended 2 games.

We get to game 7.

they make the mistake of dressing Nazem...... oh, guess he had two more suspensions left in him.

Koolboss

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Kadri had to go, let's get real here.
Duh after Tavares was signed by Dubas

No, Dubas traded away a guy with 10 points in 19 games in the playoffs, who had been suspended for two playoffs in a row, likely losing us the series both years.

If you're upset about him having a great playoffs somewhere else years later, I sure hope you're not one of the people who has wanted to throw away our core players way better than Kadri in their early-mid 20s.
By core I hope you mean Matthews, the rest are interchangeable

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Why do people still talk about this? Kadri traded himself away. Years of run ins with management and coaching, internal suspensions, being call immature publicly, having team meetings with his parents... and then finally the playoff suspensions. He ran out of runway here as an ongoing behaviour issues, at a time the team was trying to change it's culture. Seriously, after all of this time, there are some people who don't get this?

So we should blame Kadri for trading himself for Kerfoot and Barrie ?? The problem is not trading him, it is what you got back. They blamed him for the two series losses and were so upset they forced a trade such that they took the best they could get. Funny that they kept Barrie at the TDL because they could not get a high enough pick. This after they decided to stand pat after losing the Zamboni driver game.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
So we should blame Kadri for trading himself for Kerfoot and Barrie ?? The problem is not trading him, it is what you got back. They blamed him for the two series losses and were so upset they forced a trade such that they took the best they could get. Funny that they kept Barrie at the TDL because they could not get a high enough pick. This after they decided to stand pat after losing the Zamboni driver game.

You are changing the goal posts of this discussion, which was simply, Kadri being traded away.

If you recall, Kadri had a M-NTC and he vetoed the first trade with Calgary. You pretend to have some idea, that we could have received a better trade for him. Is there any evidence out there, to support that a better trade was available? One piece of evidence. Please provide such evidence that a better trade was available.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Duh after Tavares was signed by Dubas
No, he was here after that. He had to go after a disappointing year and two consecutive playoff suspensions that likely cost us both series (which came after a longer history of issues).
By core I hope you mean Matthews, the rest are interchangeable
The rest of our core is not "interchangeable" (whatever you think that means).

Koolboss

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Oh well the culture change didn't really work so what now

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
You are changing the goal posts of this discussion, which was simply, Kadri being traded away.

If you recall, Kadri had a M-NTC and he vetoed the first trade with Calgary. You pretend to have some idea, that we could have received a better trade for him. Is there any evidence out there, to support that a better trade was available? One piece of evidence. Please provide such evidence that a better trade was available.

Even if we couldn't, clearly the trade that Dubas judged as fair and necessary ended up being awful value for us. We've bled so much depth now and have so little cap space year in, year out thanks to boy wonder, there's very little room for improvement other than hoping to hit in the draft. He's shown he's not very good at that either.

I have high hopes for Knies. Not sure what to expect from Niemela and not very high on Robertson. Other than those guys, cupboard's pretty bare.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Oh well the culture change didn't really work so what now

So, being late to practices, team meetings, run in's with coaches, and players parents being called in for a lack a maturity is still a thing? I can't seem to recall the last time Shanahan went to the press, calling any of the players immature. Do people even pay attention, or are they just mad and looking for a reason to complain?

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
You pretend to have some idea, that we could have received a better trade for him. Is there any evidence out there, to support that a better trade was available? One piece of evidence. Please provide such evidence that a better trade was available.
Are you telling me we couldn't get McDavid for a middle-six player coming off a disappointing 44 point season and two consecutive playoff suspensions?

I for one am shocked. :eek:

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

I am not saying there was a better offer. I am saying that if there wasn't one, you do not trade him for the sake of trading him (gee when did we hear that lately??). Same way if they decide to move Willie and do not get a good enough offer, you pull him off the trade market. You do not settle for less than market value. Simple.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Even if we couldn't, clearly the trade that Dubas judged as fair and necessary ended up being awful value for us. We've bled so much depth now and have so little cap space year in, year out thanks to boy wonder, there's very little room for improvement other than hoping to hit in the draft. He's shown he's not very good at that either.

I have high hopes for Knies. Not sure what to expect from Niemela and not very high on Robertson. Other than those guys, cupboard's pretty bare.

*** Judged as the best offer, for a player with a league wide damaged reputation...

I get it, y'all are looking for reasons to be mad at this point.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I am not saying there was a better offer. I am saying that if there wasn't one, you do not trade him for the sake of trading him (gee when did we hear that lately??). Same way if they decide to move Willie and do not get a good enough offer, you pull him off the trade market. You do not settle for less than market value. Simple.

Again, you seem to miss the point. Do you have kids? If you tell a kid, if you do this X will happen. If X happens, you carry through. They did... that's the end of it. He was a problem player in the organization, and forced their hand. They gave him warnings, and he blew it.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
*** Judged as the best offer, for a player with a league wide damaged reputation...

I get it, y'all are looking for reasons to be mad at this point.

I mean all you and many others are doing are attacking his reputation as an excuse to trade him. He didn't need to be traded despite what people keep saying especially for that pile of garbage but OK.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
He didnt HAVE to go. he was traded because of his non-stop suspensions in the playoffs
wish we never traded him the trade at the time felt fine if we had to but just didnt work out

No... he wasn't trade simply because of a couple of playoff suspensions.

Years of run ins with management and coaching, internal suspensions, being call immature publicly, having team meetings with his parents... and then finally the playoff suspensions. It was years of problem behaviour, and being told, this happens again, your gone... and he did... so... move on.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I mean all you and many others are doing are attacking his reputation as an excuse to trade him. He didn't need to be traded despite what people keep saying especially for that pile of garbage but OK.

Stating facts, that are publicly available, as stated by the team is attacking his reputation? I mean these are the things he did. Yes, when a team says, if his happens one more time, he goes... he goes. Is that hard for you to understand, or just doesn't fit the narrative?

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Again, you seem to miss the point. Do you have kids? If you tell a kid, if you do this X will happen. If X happens, you carry through. They did... that's the end of it. He was a problem player in the organization, and forced their hand. They gave him warnings, and he blew it.

Everybody gets why they traded him. That is no excuse.

Everybody knew Duchene wanted out of Colorado. Sakic dug in and traded him when somebody met his price. We could not move Kadri fast enough (July 1st) and took less than fair value. Mistake.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
They told him they would trade him if he got suspended again?

Reactions: Koolboss
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia