Did Babcock have it right to begin with?

Stonehands1990

Apr 2, 2021
Well we're talking about leadership.. Effective leadership is most effective when the personalities of the team are understood. Core personality traits are reflective of their upbringing which has changed through each generation. The coaches ability to adapt and understand those personalities in the room can have a major impact on how the team performs.

Typically speaking the younger generations respond better to a leadership style that lends itself to input and feedback which leads to increased motivation and team commitment, rather than just dictation and fear mongering tactics. Conclusively it's no surprise that the young Leafs eventually tuned Babcock out because he wouldn't adapt to their personalities.

Babcock has the resume that gave him the ego to say it's his way or not. But he failed massively in his leadership style with this group because he didn't adapt his style to effectively motivate them. It's probably why the Red Wings were successful in his tenure, because it was an older team and that style of leadership motivated them appropriately.
Babcock‘s post graduate study was Sports Psychology. I’m gonna go ahead and say he knew how to handle personalities. As we’ve seen since his departure this group lacks mental toughness

Reactions: CaptainCrunch17

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Funny enough. I think both Keefe and Babcock were potentially wrong. And it all comes down to timing.

During the time that Babcock was coach we were a deeper team, largely due to our best players being on their ELCs. As a result, we had the depth behind them, to put them together more often and not be hurt by it

During Keefe's tenure here we have not been a very deep team, for the opposite reason. As a result, putting our best two players on the sand line has thinned out the lines even more than they need to be imo

I will say I am generally a supporter of going back to Matthews/Nylander and Tavares/Marner. I prefer the balance of lines 1 vs 2 this way better, I like that it forces to teams to defend hard mins against 2 lines, and I think it maximizes both Tavares and Nylander as their individual skill sets imo mesh better with Marner and Matthews respectively.

Unfortunately Keefe wants to play Matthews and Marner 30 minutes a night. Even when they're gassed Keefe will throw them out there

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
So you'd take Bozak, Gardiner, JVR, and all of those guys back?

yes, those players were good. Bozak was a reliable center. Imagine if we kept Bozak and Kadri. Matthews, JT, Kadri, Bozak down the middle would have been the best center ice in the league.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
I wasn't the one who brought up Lou or Babcock, and this thread is literally about Babcock. There is no disaster. There's a great team created by Dubas.
A great team that can’t get the job done when it matters……..is that really a great team?

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
A great team that can’t get the job done when it matters……..is that really a great team?
A great team that, despite losing one of the biggest pieces on the team (on top of the multiple other injuries being dealt with), barely lost to the cup finalists, after outplaying and outscoring them.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
He had his quirks and was pretty unlikable to some, but he knows the game and understands the chess match.

Contrast with Keefe who can’t counter basic tactical adjustments and the line between competency and incompetency is pretty clear.

Reactions: egd27

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Gave who an A? Not sure what another team signing their player has to do with Dubas or keeping Bozak as a 5m 4th line center.
we could have made it work
The ability to make something fit by making a series of detrimental moves doesn't change the fact that we shouldn't be trying to make it work, because a 5m 4th line center is a waste, especially when you have a top-6 deserving of high-end minutes.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Leafs needed discipline and structure. Babcock provided it. That’s why he was recruited and paid handsomely.

(Same with Lou)

Problem is the star players revolted. Wanted more of a say. Wanted more ice time. Wanted to play with certain players.

They got what they wanted.

And haven’t proven Babcock wrong.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
You really need an explanation about leadership styles and motivating people and why intimidation tactics are harmful?

I wonder if you have kids, when you have to discipline them do you intimidate them with

- i will ground you if you did x,y,z
- you will not get yyy if you did xxx
- clean your room or do your homework or else....

hey may be our legal system also should stop with the intimidation of putting criminals behind bar too

we really need your leadership in the global framework. Lead the change bud. i am fully behind you!

lets go....

lets start by doing a 200 on a highway, the intimidation of speeding ticket is just too harsh and just wrong!

:yo:

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
A great team that, despite losing one of the biggest pieces on the team (on top of the multiple other injuries being dealt with), barely lost to the cup finalists, after outplaying and outscoring them.
But ultimately lost to them after being up 3 games to 1 with Tavares missing for almost the entire 4 games. The team with 2 of some of the highest paid players in the League that couldn’t get the job done against a team that really only has one star player and is in fact a better team then the Leafs as they proved in the playoffs.
The Leafs are not a great team. The comments about them outplaying the Habs is just smoke and mirrors.
The one stat that is beyond contestation is the Habs won more games then the Leafs. That’s all anyone on whatever side of this debate or any team for that matter will remember. The Habs got it done with a lesser skilled team and the Leafs did not

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
I wonder if you have kids, when you have to discipline them do you intimidate them with

- i will ground you if you did x,y,z
- you will not get yyy if you did xxx
- clean your room or do your homework or else....

hey may be our legal system also should stop with the intimidation of putting criminals behind bar too

we really need your leadership in the global framework. Lead the change bud. i am fully behind you!

lets go....

lets start by doing a 200 on a highway, the intimidation of speeding ticket is just too harsh and just wrong!

:yo:
You mean we can’t do 200 on the highway………..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad