Did anyone like Raymonds shootout goal?

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Not sure I understand the explanation that shootout is a gimmick and has no place in hockey...

That argument seems too transplantable to another topic people defend to the death.

Fighting is just a gimmick and has no place in hockey.

Personally, I like the shootout. If a regular season game has to get decided one way or the other (i.e. No Ties) then I prefer the shootout over even 4-on-4 hockey for 5 minutes.

Getting to see guys actually get the opportunity to show-off some of their slick moves on penalty shots is great. I can't fathom how this new feature has been so harshly rejected.

As it regards the Raymond move though, I didn't really like it because I thought it looked goofy and lacked fluidity. And I think there may have been some worth to the argument that Raymond stopped forward progress.

I didn't think it was otherwise wrong. In my view, the rules on shootouts should be further loosened, not restricted. I would love to see guys start attempting the "lacrosse-style" shots with more regularity.

The shootout should be about encouraging and developing creativity and skill, and not subjugating and marginalizing it as "show-boating" or "classless" behaviour.

My Sweet Shadow

Sep 5, 2008
Sioux Lookout, ON
The NHL ruled it a goal, so I don't have any real issues with it for now. However, I'm all for making a rule against it. It's basically a loophole where the explanation kind of makes sense, but it just feels wrong.

Tyler Biggs*

Comeback player of the year, early nomination, Mason Raymond!

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
Going to side with 'shootouts are already a joke so why not allow spin-o-ramas'. Having said that, I don't think it makes much sense to explicitly permit just the spin-o-rama. There should be a general exception allowing one to stop forward motion for at most a second in order to pull off a move or something, since the intent of the forward motion rule just seems to be to make sure the shooter doesn't waste time and take all day to get to the net.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00