Did anyone else purchase NHL: Legacy Edition?

Stories

Science!
Sep 10, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
Thinking of picking this up for PS3 as I won't be upgrading to a PS4 until the Neo/PS4K hits. Surprisingly hard to find a good deal on it.

Nikola Tesla

Oct 13, 2015
Europe
I bought both the legacy edition and the PS4 edition (got good deals).
It's mind-boggling how they can create a "new" game and do the same mistakes over and over again.
The legacy version, and I kid you not, is EXACTLY the same as NHL 15. Every single fault 15' had 16' still has. It's a joke really.

I refuse to buy this game until they actually make some changes.
How have they not patched the "waiting for user" issue in EASHL yet???? It's been years now.

Don Corleone

Jul 9, 2013
The answer to any questions concerning quality is EA. Seriously nearly everything they touch turns to crap. They might be working on a good game but will ruin it by focusing and adding typical EA stuff such as micro transactions just for our enjoyment. To make it even worse there is not a single other hockey game out there, except for manager games, so EA knows they can make minor changes or in the case of the Legacy edition nothing and they still sell copies.

Last edited:

kcoxsabresfan

May 4, 2010
One of the worst purchases I've ever made. I thought it would be more than a roster update. It turned out to bee an inaccurate roster update. The game didn't have Jack Eichel for months. I understand the Ncaa player issues, but it took months to get one of the best young players into a game that was only a roster update. Months

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
I bought it, i only play two games at this point (nhl and call of duty mw3) so not worth it for me to upgrade to a ps4.

My biggest issue is it is hard to find Online Versus Play matches...seems like no one else has it apparently cause it takes me like 10 minutes to get a new online game started.

HawksFan28

Apr 2, 2006
I just downloaded it and burned it...

I haven't played video games in years but decided to start playing again recently so I haven't really played much of the NHL games but I enjoy playing Legacy..... I like the Be A Pro and B A GM modes, especially be a pro..

I just started my first season in the be a pro mode (power forward center) and they sent me to the AHL after the pre-season after I scored like 17 goals and like 10 assists (like 6 games). I have NHL 11 and I did the be a pro on 11 and had similar preseason statistics but they started me in the NHL. Not to mention that in Legacy the coaches message was like: "you're guaranteed a position on this team" lol.....

Whatever, I've played 9 AHL games and have 27 goals and 13 assists and I've hit all my "seasons expectations" and I'm only rated a 71. You would think the NHL club would have brought me up by now.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I bought it because my NHL 15 wasn't working right so I traded it in for a pre-owned version. I only paid like $12 after a few gift cards and trade in credit. No way in hell was I paying full price for that. It's honestly a slap in the face to charge full price for game that's nearly identical to a game they released 2 years ago.

Stories

Science!
Sep 10, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
Currently bidding on eBay to get a copy for $20. Seeing as there won't be a new release, this would the last version. This game has surprisingly held its value pretty well. I guess since not many copies were made.

Stories

Science!
Sep 10, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
Just got it for 20 bucks on Amazon, and downloaded Reff93's 2016-17 roster. I can now play a gm starting at next season!

Nice, I'll download it too once I get my copy. Just got it for $16 on eBay thanks to a coupon. This'll tide me over nicely until I jump to the PS4 Neo whenever that comes out in 2017.

Stories

Science!
Sep 10, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
Having played a little bit now, here's what I can definitively say about legacy versus the current gen NHL 16 editions, the skating feels much more authentic. Especially on defense. On current gen 16, defensive skating always seems to trigger the backwards cross over animation that is really really slow for no reason any time your man is along the half boards. And then it pulls you out of position as the animation is slow and over exaggerated. Not in legacy. That alone makes it a better game to me.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
The eashl in legacy is still alive and well. I played every version since '10 and legacy is by far the smoothest and most authentic game I have played. If you dont want to upgrade to play 17 then I recommend legacy its great game with an active community.

JTX

Biscuit inthe Basket
Jan 20, 2010
Cape Coral, FL
I bought a like new copy on Amazon on August 13th for $16.94 and had it in less than 48 hours.

The most recent NHL I had before this was '13 and I can see why people are crabbing about it being too much the same, especially if they payed $60 American for it, but I got it for less than twenty bucks delivered so I am quite satisfied. Its a very good game and the last one they'll ever make for the 360 so I'm going to enjoy it for what it is.

I have played the XBone versions of NHL 16 and Madden at my brother's house and I honestly don't think I'm missing much. I'm never going to buy a next generation system again so I'm more than happy with my copies of NHL Legacy and Madden NFL 16.

Readytostart

Feb 19, 2016
I've been meaning to post this for a while. In my copy of Legacy, the AHL standings on the main screen (in GM mode) are missing half the teams for the Eastern Conference. It's strange, and has never been fixed.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Jul 3, 2013
I would never purchase a special edition of the NHL series. Although I have been a loyal customer of this series going on 23 years now, I also find that they go out of their way to rip off their customers with these HUT packages and special editions.

JTX

Biscuit inthe Basket
Jan 20, 2010
Cape Coral, FL
I would never purchase a special edition of the NHL series. Although I have been a loyal customer of this series going on 23 years now, I also find that they go out of their way to rip off their customers with these HUT packages and special editions.

I too think those are lame, but that's not what NHL Legacy Edition is.
It's basically NHL 16 for Xbox 360. There will not be an NHL 17 on 360.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I bought a cheap copy of the Legacy edition on eBay and wow... am I disappointed. I really liked NHL 14, after spending some time with NHL 16, it turns out I really don't like the next-gen iterations. I knew Legacy was basically NHL 14 part 3, but I was hoping that it was at least NHL 14 with two years of gameplay polish and roster updates. Low and behold... they just took 14 and made everything worse.

I played two Online Versus matches in Legacy and I won 7-5 the first game, but the person scored all 5 goals on cross-crease's. Clogging the passing lane or trying to intercept the pass did NOTHING. Defensive plays that worked admirably in NHL 14 to prevent these goals were useless, as was everything else I could try. The second Online Versus match played out the exact same way. Even offline the AI played a very obnoxious game where they would exploit similar unrealistic tactics that people deploy online (repetitive circling in the neutral zone until they find an opening, over-deking, etc). Not that it made it difficult or anything, it was just annoying. Hitting was toned down too, so I couldn't even lay people out like I enjoyed doing when I got frustrated in NHL 14 lol.

At that point, I already had enough. Took Legacy off my shelf, into the "sell it on eBay or trade it in when I'm feeling less lazy" pile, went back to NHL 14 and it was actually quite fun. I played a few matches online, won a few, lost a few, got frustrated but never really felt cheated. Offline was enjoyable too... is especially nice with the custom rosters I downloaded getting everything current up to this offseason.

I really think the NHL games hit their modern pinnacle with 14. If I wanted to play a hockey game with lazy updates and ****ty gameplay, I'd just go and get NHL 17 on my PS4 (which I'll probably do when I can find it used for $20 on eBay in a few months; since I want to adhere to a more strict three year NHL buying/owning schedule than I have been... 11 to 14, 14 to 17, 17 to 20, etc).

Last edited:

Blueland89

Dec 1, 2009
Cartersville, Ga
The gm connected league that I am commisioner of switched from 14 when this game came out. It's the same game but different rosters and was a nice shake up.

If anyone is interested terested in gm connected the league is gmc addicts.

gravyface

Jun 22, 2010
Reviving the thread, but I inherited a PS3 and haven't played an NHL game since NHL 97 for the Genesis :laugh:

Sounds like I want to find a copy of 2014, but what about roster updates? I see EA has official updates and somebody named "Reff93" (which brings up nothing on Google).

Any ideas?

Lyons89

Aug 21, 2012
Reviving the thread, but I inherited a PS3 and haven't played an NHL game since NHL 97 for the Genesis :laugh:

Sounds like I want to find a copy of 2014, but what about roster updates? I see EA has official updates and somebody named "Reff93" (which brings up nothing on Google).

Any ideas?

Yeah, get legacy and join our Gmc league. Couple open untouched teams left!! League is ran through Facebook/whatsapp

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Sooo out of curiosity, should I stick to NHL 12 or should I upgrade to this or NHL 14 or 15?

This is for the PS3. I just wanna play either the Be A GM mode or a regular season mode, no online obviously.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
From what I have heard it is basically 14 or old gen 15.

Not a bad thing but you could just get a roster update.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad