Did anyone else purchase NHL: Legacy Edition?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
For the first time in years I did not purchase NHL: Legacy Edition for my Xbox 360 because it looked no different than NHL 14 & 15 did. I'm just wondering for those who still have an Xbox 360 did you purchase NHL: Legacy Edition or did you not?

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Didn't purchase it - the time to stop purchasing anything for the 360 was a long time ago.

Carpe is right - it's just the old games with a roster update. You can check it out online, some people posted videos showing what it was about.

Timeless Enigma

Jun 9, 2007
Richmond, BC
NHL Legacy = NHL 14 with 2015/2016 rosters + no more bouncing puck + 3 on 3 overtime.

That's it really. Only reason to buy it is if you're still stuck on last-gen hardware like me. I got it 50% off so I don't feel too bad.

ki11joy

Aug 28, 2007
It's probably not worth it at full price, especially for Canadians, unless you skipped the last few seasons and are dying for a slightly updated hockey fix right now. I only had NHL 08 and 13 on the 360, so I could justify Legacy at $40 USD (~30% discount). It was mostly for online since the majority of my hockey gaming is on PC with updated NHL 2004 modern mods (and 1990s mods). Last I checked the online population for 360 was small, but decent. I usually don't have trouble finding versus or HUT season games after 5 PM on weekdays.

dream43

Nov 19, 2013
I have nhl 14 and legacy however the only time i play legacy is for Hut. I use updated rosters (from this year) and play that instead of legacy for all modes except Hut. They are 99% same the only diffrences are

-diffrent comentary
-Updated rosters (comparing base rosters)
-Hut overalls/rosters
-3 on 3 OT
-Game music
and the picture shows the stanley cup instead of your fav teams player/bergeron

These are literaly the only diffrances between both. I do not recomand getting legacy if you have nhl 14/15 as you are only paying for the changes i mentioned above. I got legacy from a freind for free but i never would have bought it myself.

Zobitembois

Devilsfanindisguise
Jan 25, 2011
Bought it for less than 20$ on the XBL Market. I own 15 on the same platform and Legacy plays really better, ragdoll on collision has been turned down, and from what I've read on Operation Sports forums it plays better than 16 on next-gen.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I have nhl 14 and legacy however the only time i play legacy is for Hut. I use updated rosters (from this year) and play that instead of legacy for all modes except Hut. They are 99% same the only diffrences are

-diffrent comentary
-Updated rosters (comparing base rosters)
-Hut overalls/rosters
-3 on 3 OT
-Game music
and the picture shows the stanley cup instead of your fav teams player/bergeron

These are literaly the only diffrances between both. I do not recomand getting legacy if you have nhl 14/15 as you are only paying for the changes i mentioned above. I got legacy from a freind for free but i never would have bought it myself.
Does Legacy have or not have the Winter Classic mode at Michigan Stadium? I remember when purchasing NHL 15 and was disappointed it was not added since they still kept the 2011 and 2012 Winter Classic mode.

Hawks And More Hawks

Mar 4, 2016
I bought it. I played NHL 13 but skipped 14 and 15 so it made a little more sense for me. Plus I got a nice deal on it during a Black Friday special. I figure it will get me through until I upgrade to an XboxOne.

dream43

Nov 19, 2013
Does Legacy have or not have the Winter Classic mode at Michigan Stadium? I remember when purchasing NHL 15 and was disappointed it was not added since they still kept the 2011 and 2012 Winter Classic mode.

Nah EA did not even bother changing the Winter Classic Arenas and just kept them from NHL 13. It is still The 2011 and 2012 Winter Classic mode.

Readytostart

Feb 19, 2016
I believe player progression is different as well. I don't know if that's a carryover from '15 or not, but this year has better and more realistic progression.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Nah EA did not even bother changing the Winter Classic Arenas and just kept them from NHL 13. It is still The 2011 and 2012 Winter Classic mode.
I found that to frustrating because they took the time to add the Leafs and Red Wings Winter Classic jerseys into those previous games, down to the patch on their right shoulder.

dream43

Nov 19, 2013
I found that to frustrating because they took the time to add the Leafs and Red Wings Winter Classic jerseys into those previous games, down to the patch on their right shoulder.

Exactly, if they can bother to put the jersey into the game the rink would not be to hard to change. You basicly just need to change the arena name and the symbol in the middle and a bit of commentary. It really is a bad deal to pay more than 10$ on this garbage.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I believe player progression is different as well. I don't know if that's a carryover from '15 or not, but this year has better and more realistic progression.

It's carry over from 15

from what i can tell Legacy is 15 with some slightly different tuners.

I didn't buy 15 at first but i went to check out legacy and saw what it was about....still lsited at full price at all the stores...so instead i grabbed 15 for $15.00 CAD

15 is definitly worth the upgrade from 13 and 14 IMO if you play BGM.

Player development is way better.

Draft strength is way better.

Game play's a fair bit different (not as "muddy" as 13-14) and the new announcers is kind of a nice change.

One thing i've noticed in all the ps3 ea games: they glitch a lot where the announcers seem to get the team records backwards. They'll go on a tangent about how the other team "has done everythign right over the last 10 games and it shows in their record while there opponent have really struggled"....and i've gone 9-1-0 and they've gone 2-5-3

nothing big, but funny

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Didn't buy it. I find it frustrating that so many people who participate in online play switched over from 14 to 15 to Legacy.

In modes like HUT, EASHL, and even in GM Connected (since people make so many trades), roster updates don't really matter all that much. The value in the game is almost entirely in the userbase. If enough people refused to spend 90 bucks to update to a game with marginal gameplay differences, 14 or 15 would still be useable.

I have a sneaking suspicion that when NHL 17 comes out on next gen, NHL Legacy might go free to play or at least free to play for HUT. I don't know about the semantics of paying for/running servers for a free to play game, but if they aren't releasing anymore PS3/360 games, it'd make sense for them to go free to play/continue supporting the game since everybody who would have bought the game has already paid for it, and there's probably a big chunk of people still on PS3/360.

That, or by "popular demand" they'll release NHL Legacy 2 "Seriously, this is the last game for next gen so give us your 90 bucks" edition.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Is there a big online community in NHL legacy? I have NHL 15 but the online community is diminishing.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Is there a big online community in NHL legacy? I have NHL 15 but the online community is diminishing.

Feels dead compared to NHL 15 this time last year.

I just got the game a month or so ago, and I tried out HUT for fun since there was 30 free packs or something (was that a promotion?). You genuinely can't find certain relatively common gold players because there isn't a lot on the market.

It is impossible for me to match up with a full game of people in EASHL drop in. I don't know if this is a consequence of me just getting the game now and not having any GP, so maybe the server doesn't want to rank me with players out of my level. But I gave up on playing any dropins.

Online versus takes a long time to find an opponent but there are still some people there.

I can't find anybody on online shootout.

Unless you're getting it for like 10 bucks, I don't think it is worth the upgrade.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
I think the AI is much better. I play on regular difficulty and an out of hand game usually ends up being 5-1 or 6-2 for me. I had 15 previously and I could rack up the score to over 10 no problem before the end of the 2nd on regular difficulty. So I think it has improved..........or I don't play as much anymore so my skill level has dropped lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad