Diablo IV

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I can’t decide if I want to play the beta or just start fresh in June. I’ve been playing Last Epoch that sort of scratches the same itch.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Decided to check out the beta and was immediately thrown in a 90 minute queue. I get like 90 minutes a day max to play games so it looks like I’m waiting until the full release to play it.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Decided to check out the beta and was immediately thrown in a 90 minute queue. I get like 90 minutes a day max to play games so it looks like I’m waiting until the full release to play it.

I made it in, created a character, then got booted and had a 2 hour queue. I'm almost level 15 despite that hiccup. It's a pretty smooth game when you're not in town, I think connecting with other random people causes it to bug out a little bit.

Not being locked into a skill tree has been fun, you can rebuild to fight specific monsters as needed. Overall I like that game so far.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I made it in, created a character, then got booted and had a 2 hour queue. I'm almost level 15 despite that hiccup. It's a pretty smooth game when you're not in town, I think connecting with other random people causes it to bug out a little bit.

Not being locked into a skill tree has been fun, you can rebuild to fight specific monsters as needed. Overall I like that game so far.
I decided to sit through a queue tonight after the kids went to be. I've only played like fifteen minutes, beat the first couple of quests and seen basically what I needed to see. Seems like a better version of Diablo 3 and that is pretty much exactly what I was hoping for. I'm definitely going to have a lot of fun with it when it releases.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
I've been playing it a decent bit so far. Completed Act 1, playing as a Sorcerer and currently level 20. This has been great so far.

Reactions: beowulf

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I've been playing it a decent bit so far. Completed Act 1, playing as a Sorcerer and currently level 20. This has been great so far.

I haven't played since last night, one really small gripe I have is that the main town is a bit large. I know games do it to make them feel more immersive, but it just leads to a lot of unnecessary walking for a game that is entirely about discovering new place. Diablo 1 and 2 had pretty much everything you'd ever need to access a frame or two away (there were some exceptions) but 4 is pretty spread out. I do wonder if that'll become less of an annoyance for me as I get gear/attributes that make the character move faster.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Played some more. Still incredible. Really can't wait for the full release.

I made it to level 22 and had a decent time with it. The town size is still too large at times, and some of the monsters/dungeons are a little repetitive but overall it's been good. It's just the first act of the game and I think the change in weather is nice so it actually feels like you're traversing a bit.

Not sure if you had this, but I had encountered The Butcher at two different locations and after he killed me he disappeared. Not sure if that's a beta thing, a real game encounter thing, or what you get if you can actually manage to kill him but it was definitely the most challenging part of the game for me.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I made it to level 22 and had a decent time with it. The town size is still too large at times, and some of the monsters/dungeons are a little repetitive but overall it's been good. It's just the first act of the game and I think the change in weather is nice so it actually feels like you're traversing a bit.

Not sure if you had this, but I had encountered The Butcher at two different locations and after he killed me he disappeared. Not sure if that's a beta thing, a real game encounter thing, or what you get if you can actually manage to kill him but it was definitely the most challenging part of the game for me.
No I didn’t have that. Never encountered the butcher, but saw some people on Twitter say it messed them up. I only got to level 9 or something. Very early.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I'm by no means a Diablo veteran playing only D3 before this, but I really like this beta. Looking forward to release.

Also really want to try out the Druid.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Man oh man this game is soooooooo good.
It is, some real improvements since the closed beta I did last year. I only wish I could have played more, I guess they will be better prepared next weekend, as this time the wait times at first to get on the server were 45 min to an hour. And even Saturday and Sunday once that was fixed I found the game lagged at time. During the closed beta I mostly played a Druid and this time I mostly played a Barb and loved them both.

Well in our of the cut scenes of either Diablo 3 or Diablo Immortal, I cannot remember which, we learn that the butcher is not one demon but there are many of them in the hells.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
I finished the beta story as rogue, although I didn't have time to grind through all the dungeons or any side stuff.

map seems pretty big, when you consider beta was only fractured peaks/act 1

I'm coming out of my first playing of D4 fairly positive I think

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Well in our of the cut scenes of either Diablo 3 or Diablo Immortal, I cannot remember which, we learn that the butcher is not one demon but there are many of them in the hells.

I was more talking about the instances in which he appeared. It seemed like a random chance event and not a scripted location spawn. It was also unclear to me if this was a special event just for the beta or if it would occur in the actual game after launch.

It was unexpected and fun for sure. As a big fan of the original Diablo it's nice to see that character keep coming back.

Reactions: beowulf

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Well, glad I didn't play this in Beta as it's apparently bricking some 3000 series Nvidia cards, particularly 3080ti's (which is my card, although it seems to mostly be Gigabyte and maybe some Asus's ones).

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
That's probably avoidable by setting a framerate cap. It happened a few years ago to an Amazon MMO, in which high end GPUs would reach such high framerates (almost 10,000) in the menus that they'd catastrophically overheat. I recommend that all PC gamers set a global framerate cap so that that can never happen. Just go into your driver software (probably Nvidia Control Panel or AMD Adrenaline) and set the max frame rate to your monitor's refresh rate minus 3 or 4. For my 144Hz monitor, I have the max set to 140.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
For anyone interested in a detailed breakdown:

I agree with a lot of what he's saying here but I think I'll enjoy the game anyway. I'm not the type to grind a game forever anymore so I'll play it mainly for the story and to enjoy some of the different classes/playstyles.

Sometimes these games get a little too complicate for their own good and I think D3, POE, and D4 are all going to be guilty of that to some degree.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Well, glad I didn't play this in Beta as it's apparently bricking some 3000 series Nvidia cards, particularly 3080ti's (which is my card, although it seems to mostly be Gigabyte and maybe some Asus's ones).

I own the ASUS 3080ti and did not experience any issues

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Going to give it a try later but more likely I might stay up later and give it a try around midnight in hopes that there is no queue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad