Diablo IV

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Diablo IV will feature permanent character progression

Now we're getting somewhere. I'm sure there will be a respec at SOME point either by demand at a cost or in expansion, but at least having the trappings of proper character building is very important to me. I guess "talents" can be switched but I'd have to see what they are first.

My most memorable characters from D2 are all the semi broken ones that could still do Hell with skill and gearing.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I never really considered the "tone" of Diablo 3 a problem.

The biggest problem with Diablo 3 is they never figured out the loot grind. When the game first game out the loot grind was way too punishing to find loot you could use yourself so you'd need to use the auction house to outfit your character which really took killed the desire to grind for loot.

Then with the expansion and development of rifts, greater rifts etc and revamping of set items they swung WAY too far the other way.

Builds became entirely dependent on full set bonuses and legendary/set items became increasingly easy to find where it got to the point that you could fully gear out your level 70 character (which took maybe 90 minutes to get if you were going slow) in a day or two. Then the only goal became finding slightly better versions of the set items you already had and trying to grind out paragon levels

There was something much more rewarding about the loot grind in D2. Yes, there was still the absolute elite items that you'd need if you wanted to have a truly elite character, but there were always alternatives along the way to fully gearing out a character and there was frequently variations in your character builds if you wanted to be a little different.

Not that D2 was perfect. The introduction of the really over powered runewords along with never truly fixing botting and duping of items really changed the landscape of the game.

I'm concerned that the only thing Blizzard heard with D3 is that the game wasn't dark enough. So we're just going to end up with a re-skinned D3 that's a bit grittier in art style.

I know I am in the minority on this but I firmly believe that ties into their horrendous decision to go with the skill rune set up instead of a skill tree. There wasn't enough real variation within each character build to have an addictive loot grind.

I don't think the runeword system ruined D2, I think it was the biggest draw. It was the botting and duping that ruined it. Having a runeword type system would have given great variety to D3 but again, hard to do when pure statistics are the only thing that mattered to a successful build.

The very limited information that has been posted in this thread already makes me believe D4 will be a better game than D3 in every aspect.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I know I am in the minority on this but I firmly believe that ties into their horrendous decision to go with the skill rune set up instead of a skill tree. There wasn't enough real variation within each character build to have an addictive loot grind.

I don't think the runeword system ruined D2, I think it was the biggest draw. It was the botting and duping that ruined it. Having a runeword type system would have given great variety to D3 but again, hard to do when pure statistics are the only thing that mattered to a successful build.

The very limited information that has been posted in this thread already makes me believe D4 will be a better game than D3 in every aspect.

Indeed duping and the in game economy coming down to the good ole SOJ really wore on me like so many that were not willing to cheat and dupe items.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gardner McKay

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
legendary specific affixes:
  • Hit Effect: Your attacks have up to x% chance to spawn a hydra that will aid you in combat
  • Lightning strikes a nearby enemy dealing x damage whenever you shapeshift
  • +x to your equipped skills
  • Fireball launches 3 projectiles that deal x% of normal damage
  • Lightning Traps periodically appear around you dealing x damage after 2 seconds to nearby enemies
  • Upheaval ignites the ground burning enemies for an additional x damage of 3 seconds
  • Weapon mastery skills have an additional charge.
  • Cut to the Bone talent activates against enemies that are hit by your shouts instead of stuns
  • Critical strike chance increased by x% against bleeding enemies.
  • Your shouts generate x Fury per second while active.
  • Cast Nova at your Teleport location
  • Teleport moves you to a random location and costs x mana instead of having a cooldown.
  • Teleport grants a barrier that absorbs x% of your maximum life for 15 seconds.
  • Teleport forms a rift in your path that increases your critical strike chance by x% for 5 seconds.

tcy2T2i.jpg

Defensive:
  • x Max Life.
  • x% Damage Reduction.
  • x% Dodge Chance.
  • x% Damage Reduction from Enemies within Melee Range.
  • x% Damage Reduction from Enemies out of Melee Range.
  • x% Fire Resistance
  • x% Lightning Resistance
  • x% Cold Resistance
  • x% Poison Resistance
  • x% Reduced Damage from Elites, Bosses, and Players
  • x% Reduced Duration of Enemy Control Impairing Effects
Offensive:
  • x% Attack Speed.
  • x% Critical Strike Chance.
  • x% Critical Strike Damage.
  • x% Increased Duration of Control Impairing effects.
  • x% Damage.
  • x% Physical Damage.
  • x% Damage to Stunned Targets.
  • x% Damage to Immobilized Targets.
  • x% Damage to Vulnerable Targets.
  • x% Damage to Enemies in Melee Range.
  • x% Damage to Enemies out of Melee Range.
  • x% Damage to Slowed Targets
  • x% Increased Damage against Elites
  • x% Fire Damage
  • x% Cold Damage
  • x% Lightning Damage
  • Hit Effect: Up to x% Chance to Slow
  • Hit Effect: Up to x% Chance to Slow on Crit
  • Hit Effect: Up to x% Chance to Stun
  • Hit Effect: Up to x% Chance to Stun on Crit

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Resource Management:
  • x% Cooldown Reduction
  • +x Maximum Mana (Sorcerer Only)
  • +x Maximum Fury (Barbarian Only)
  • x% reduced Fury cost for skills (Barbarian Only)
  • x% reduced Spirit cost for skills (Druid Only)
  • x% reduced Mana cost for skills (Sorcerer Only)
Other:
  • x% Movement Speed
  • x% increased movement speed for 6 seconds on Elite kill
  • +x rank to (insert skill here)

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Diablo 3 was so incredibly boring and stale for me so i'll probably be passing on this.
That makes sense... "I didn't like this version of the game so I am going to pass on the new version that is supposed to bring back a lot of what people liked about older versions and introduce new stuff"....

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
You realize this is much closer to the mold of Diablo 2 than it is the flaming hot pile of garbage that was Diablo 3?

Was Diablo 3 really that bad?

It was my first entry into the series (I'm more of a Warcraft/Starcraft guy) so it's hard for me to compare, but I rather enjoyed it. I wouldn't say it was amazing, but it was fun.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

It was my first entry into the series (I'm more of a Warcraft/Starcraft guy) so it's hard for me to compare, but I rather enjoyed it. I wouldn't say it was amazing, but it was fun.
On its own? Not really, it was average at best. Compared to Diablo 2? Yes.

The thing about Diablo 3 IMO is that it was boring. The PVP was absolutely terrible. There was minimal customization within characters due to the whole skill rune bullshit. Everything became about attributes. Running for gear wasn't even that much fun.

Once you complete the game there isn't much to do in my opinion. :dunno:

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Truthfully i didn't realize that. I'll have to check it out more as the release gets closer if they moved away from the mold of 3.

My first impressions are that if we put this on a spectrum of D2 ---------------------*-------------------------------------------------------D3 with the star representing D4....

Now that could completely change by the time the game releases but yeah. I am very excited.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

On release it was probably that bad. The online only play was unstable and the entire loot grind revolved around grinding gold so you could buy rares on the auction house that fit your chosen stats (rares were better than legendaries and sets at the time). Post-Reaper of Souls was much better, but the flaws are still there with the only way to build a strong character is through a few item sets and all of the power creep they have introduced is geared around that.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I never really considered the "tone" of Diablo 3 a problem.

The biggest problem with Diablo 3 is they never figured out the loot grind. When the game first game out the loot grind was way too punishing to find loot you could use yourself so you'd need to use the auction house to outfit your character which really took killed the desire to grind for loot.

Then with the expansion and development of rifts, greater rifts etc and revamping of set items they swung WAY too far the other way.

Builds became entirely dependent on full set bonuses and legendary/set items became increasingly easy to find where it got to the point that you could fully gear out your level 70 character (which took maybe 90 minutes to get if you were going slow) in a day or two. Then the only goal became finding slightly better versions of the set items you already had and trying to grind out paragon levels

There was something much more rewarding about the loot grind in D2. Yes, there was still the absolute elite items that you'd need if you wanted to have a truly elite character, but there were always alternatives along the way to fully gearing out a character and there was frequently variations in your character builds if you wanted to be a little different.

Not that D2 was perfect. The introduction of the really over powered runewords along with never truly fixing botting and duping of items really changed the landscape of the game.

I'm concerned that the only thing Blizzard heard with D3 is that the game wasn't dark enough. So we're just going to end up with a re-skinned D3 that's a bit grittier in art style.
D2 LOD had good loot system, but D2 pre-expansions loot system was miles better. Rare items and magic items and a few unique items gave us the chance to grind for crazy number of items.

hubnester

Nov 8, 2019
D2 LOD had good loot system, but D2 pre-expansions loot system was miles better. Rare items and magic items and a few unique items gave us the chance to grind for crazy number of items.

It was fine until they introduced runewords which was a little after LOD. They're too strong, it's almost always better to use a runeword. Enigma was 100% necessary to so many builds.

That said, still probably one of the best loot systems there's been. Miles better than D3. Rares still had value even after runewords, my favorite thing was even some blues had value.

Hopefully D4 takes more after D2's loot than D3's.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
It was fine until they introduced runewords which was a little after LOD. They're too strong, it's almost always better to use a runeword. Enigma was 100% necessary to so many builds.

That said, still probably one of the best loot systems there's been. Miles better than D3. Rares still had value even after runewords, my favorite thing was even some blues had value.

Hopefully D4 takes more after D2's loot than D3's.
Im playing right now, armors are mostly runewords but every single categories can be used, even whites for some, in other cases than armor.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $770.00