Confirmed with Link: Dhaliwal: Markstrom out 3 - 4 weeks

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Then we are actually pretty close.

I agree with the first half of this. I would have been using them as a duo much more.

I am not scared of a Markstrom contract as I think if you sign him for 5 years, you just need him to play to a level of the contract for the first 3. I think a 5 year extension means you are trading Demko, and hoping Depietro is the next in line, and two season in the 4 and 5 year of Markstrom his contract should be low.

However if Demko proves to be ready for the starter, I think you walk away from Markstrom.

Yeah I'm not rubbing one win of Demko in peoples face - I mean, unless they want to dog Demko after one goal against and say "this is why we need Markstrom" and then Demko goes on to post a .925SV% with 37 saves in that same game, then I will throw it back at people a little bit.

I am more so just hoping Demko can take the reigns here and run with it, mostly because we are tight on cap space and he is the cheaper/cost controlled/team controlled/younger goalie and keeping him as the starter would really help the cap situation moving forward.

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Yeah I'm not rubbing one win of Demko in peoples face - I mean, unless they want to dog Demko after one goal against and say "this is why we need Markstrom" and then Demko goes on to post a .925SV% with 37 saves in that same game, then I will throw it back at people a little bit.

I am more so just hoping Demko can take the reigns here and run with it, mostly because we are tight on cap space and he is the cheaper/cost controlled/team controlled/younger goalie and keeping him as the starter would really help the cap situation moving forward.

I really like Demko and always have. I am more scared of injury with him. He hasn't been able to stay healthy. Fingers crossed.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018

I know most people don’t look that far in advance but what happens if Demko is a top 10 starter?

A top 10 starter with arb rights, Pettersson and Hughes all needing contracts in the same year? If that happens Demko would minimally get Hellebucyk/Gibson money possibly Vasilevski?

the cap problems persist they’re just down the line a year and potentially the young spine of the team will all need monster Deals at the same time.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
I know most people don’t look that far in advance but what happens if Demko is a top 10 starter?

A top 10 starter with arb rights, Pettersson and Hughes all needing contracts in the same year? If that happens Demko would minimally get Hellebucyk/Gibson money possibly Vasilevski?

the cap problems persist they’re just down the line a year and potentially the young spine of the team will all need monster Deals at the same time.
Then he'll have been far cheaper than Markstrom in the intervening years and an excellent outcome for a 2nd round pick. You're complaining about the best possible outcome by raising the spectre of a limitation that is always there anyway.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Then he'll have been far cheaper than Markstrom in the intervening years and an excellent outcome for a 2nd round pick. You're complaining about the best possible outcome by raising the spectre of a limitation that is always there anyway.
I’m not complaining. He’ll only be cheaper than Markstrom for next season.

my purpose was to show that keeping Demko over Markstrom isn’t without its issues down the line. You know this.

I thought it was worth contributing to the discussion

Reactions: racerjoe

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019

Then he'll be a starter with a single season as his main body of work. That alone should keep his costs down. In that case, he would be a good fit for a bridge show-me contract.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
I’m not complaining. He’ll only be cheaper than Markstrom for next season.

my purpose was to show that keeping Demko over Markstrom isn’t without its issues down the line. You know this.

I thought it was worth contributing to the discussion
By this meaningless standard literally any course of action, even if it's far better than any alternative, has "issues." And having a fair bit of experience reading your posts, I don't think you're simply being thorough.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Then he'll be a starter with a single season as his main body of work. That alone should keep his costs down. In that case, he would be a good fit for a bridge show-me contract.
Yeah but I don’t think it’s ideal to be needing to give 3 key pieces fairly large deals in what we’re hoping is a Stanley Cup window. It would be awesome if Thatcher did that but clearly it’s not a given.

You could say he’s a good fit for a show-me and that would be ideal but we don’t know how it’ll play out. You’re still needing $25ish mill to sign all 3. Obviously things can change dramatically over time but the cap problems are likely to persist.

Reactions: Diversification

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
By this meaningless standard literally any course of action, even if it's far better than any alternative, has "issues." And having a fair bit of experience reading your posts, I don't think you're simply being thorough.
I couldn’t really care less what you think your experience reading my posts tells you.

it’s another angle to discuss in the future Canucks Crease.

It might be in the wrong thread though.

Reactions: racerjoe

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Yeah but I don’t think it’s ideal to be needing to give 3 key pieces fairly large deals in what we’re hoping is a Stanley Cup window. It would be awesome if Thatcher did that but clearly it’s not a given.

You could say he’s a good fit for a show-me and that would be ideal but we don’t know how it’ll play out. You’re still needing $25ish mill to sign all 3. Obviously things can change dramatically over time but the cap problems are likely to persist.
Agreed. This is going to be an ongoing thing that will take some years to resolve.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
The Lack situation was different. He was playing the tougher starts, then proved it with his play down the stretch.

That's the problem with that kind of thinking. Guys like Ryan Miller and Luongo have proven themselves year after year as upper echelon #1 goalies. There are plenty of flash in the pan goalies who manage to play very well as backup goalies and for short stretches when they have the ball.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
That's the problem with that kind of thinking. Guys like Ryan Miller and Luongo have proven themselves year after year as upper echelon #1 goalies. There are plenty of flash in the pan goalies who manage to play very well as backup goalies and for short stretches when they have the ball.

So from this can I take it you won't letting Markstrom go and run with Demko?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad