Rumor: Dhaliwal- Keeps hearing Habs want Boeser. Claims that Habs have wanted Boeser for a long time, previously offered Romanov.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
If we're going by rumours, actual insiders like Seravalli, LeBrun and Dreger have been consistently reported that teams have been inquiring on Anderson's availability and Montreal has not had him available.

Most Habs fans don't even want him.

They are probably trying to swap an equally bad contract back for Anderson.

Bjorkstrand (Similar contract to Anderson) went for a 3rd and a 4th round pick a couple months ago - he was coming off a 57 point year.

Just because teams are inquiring doesn't really mean anything.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Maybe in NHL 23 - not in the flat cap world.

No true contender would give that contract to a declining third line winger.

I think you've got that flipped 'round pretty much backward, actually.

In a dumb EA NHL videogame, you might not see those sort of offers for Anderson. But in the real world, he absolutely brings the skillset teams will continue to pay for. He's also...not a "declining third line winger". He's a Top-9 Power Forward, who can absolutely play up a teams lineup...and doesn't appear to be in any kind of appreciable decline. He's pacing for ~23G this year? Which is pretty much right on what you'd expect from him in his "prime" based on previous results. Not to mention, watching him actually play...he isn't showing any particular signs of really slowing down or "declining".

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
What do you think the going rate is for a 20+ goal threat who can hit and skate and has size? $3M or less? I think not. But wait, he only puts up 30-40 pts. Anderson is not a perfect power forward like Kane or Krieder is but he's also not paid like them either. I think he's being devalued well below a $4M player because he is at $5.5M.

Dakota Joshua vs Anderson? If you have to exaggerate to prove your point, you don't have a good point

If Anderson is ever traded, the fans on his new team will change their tune. Narrative in how they evaluate him will be different. Reality

Some Middle 6F are going to make $4M - $6M range and that's what Anderson is. Fans trying to draw a line from top 6 vs bottom 6 are not considering there is a shit load of middle 6F types in the NHL. This is not a $8M+ or $3M less payout structure.

Dakota Joshua has 8 points in 26 games on a fourth line role
Josh Anderson has 10 points in 28 games in a top six role.

Yeah I don't know... is it an exaggeration?

There's no narrative here... Anderson is producing at a 36 point pace in his 3 year career with Montreal so far.

You don't pay $5.5M for 36 point third line wingers if you are trying to build a cup contending team. Anderson could be a solid piece at $3.5M-$.4M on a short term deal.

Bottom line results matter... it's great that he's fast and hits, but he makes $5.5M a year - it's not chump change.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
I think you've got that flipped 'round pretty much backward, actually.

In a dumb EA NHL videogame, you might not see those sort of offers for Anderson. But in the real world, he absolutely brings the skillset teams will continue to pay for. He's also...not a "declining third line winger". He's a Top-9 Power Forward, who can absolutely play up a teams lineup...and doesn't appear to be in any kind of appreciable decline. He's pacing for ~23G this year? Which is pretty much right on what you'd expect from him in his "prime" based on previous results. Not to mention, watching him actually play...he isn't showing any particular signs of really slowing down or "declining".

He's pacing for 30 points this year.

Do you pay third line wingers $5.5M? If you aren't serious about competing sure.

Anderson's point per game has been declining consistently since his career year (47 points). Given his playstyle, power forwards typically start breaking down around his age. He'd be great at 3.5-4M but not at his current contract.

Bjorkstrand went for a 3rd and a 4th last year. He was coming of a 57 point season. This is the realities of the flat cap.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

Bjorkstrand (Similar contract to Anderson) went for a 3rd and a 4th round pick a couple months ago - he was coming off a 57 point year.

Bjorkstrand isn't remotely the same sort of player as Anderson though. They're not in anything resembling the same "market". Their contracts aren't comparable at all. One guys is one of the few remaining "power forwards" in the league. The other is a tiny, soft, perimeter, one-way offensive winger. Players like Bjorkstrand (and Boeser in this case) are the ones that teams are shy to commit significant money to. Unless they're true "line drivers" offensively, they're dime a dozen. And you can get these sorts of players for pennies every summer.

Boeser's value is probably in the realm of Bjorkstrand's at this point. Because he actually is a comparable sort of player. With an actually worse contract.

Anderson is in a unique niche of maybe a dozen players in the league right now (if we're being generous), who bring roughly what he offers. That scarcity impacts value substantially in a way that isn't going to show up in the box score scouting.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
If we're going by rumours, actual insiders like Seravalli, LeBrun and Dreger have been consistently reported that teams have been inquiring on Anderson's availability and Montreal has not had him available.

Most Habs fans don't even want him.
Sarcasm, more referencing the Dubois situation lol.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

I doubt it, considering they were talking about attractive offers, but it's moot, because Montreal's not interested in moving him.

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Boeser is a typical one dimensional offensive winger.

But even if he's not a fast skater, he's a steady producer.

This type of player isn't that popular around the league. More often than not we're surprised by the return when they get traded.

But, he's actually in the lowest part of his value trend.
Since their arrival in MTL, HuGo proved that they thrive in the buy low/sell high business.

If they're really interested in him, I think it would be with that perspective in mind.

Plus Habs top 6 isn't exactly very deep, he'd be a nice stop gap.

Anderson for Boeser I would do.

I think the formers' value will eventually trend down while Boesers' gonna go up.

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
No idea

Anderson is one of the worst contracts in the league so I'm guessing they want to dump him off?

Stop saying that, he's far from one of the worst contract in the league. Maybe 1 mil too much.

Your narrative on Anderson just show you haven't seen him play much and you just stats watched him. Sorry.

The guy hits, skates, drives the net, can drops the mitts once in a while and scores clutch goals. He's on a 20 something goal pace.
He has not much assists? Who cares, he's not in the NHL for his passing prowesses.

He's a rare and sought after breed in the NHL.

Maybe he's not worth a ton, but he certainly don't have negative value.

He has his strength and weaknesses, just like Boeser.

Both have similar value for different reasons, actually.

Last edited:
Reactions: Johny

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Stop saying that, he's far from one of the worst contract in the league. Maybe 1 mil too much.

Your narrative on Anderson just show you haven't seen him play much and you just stats watched him. Sorry.

The guy hits, skates, drives the net, can drops the mitts once in a while and scores clutch goals. He's on a 20 something goal pace.
He has not much assists? Who cares, he's not in the NHL for his passing prowesses.

At the stage that the Habs are at i Rather have Anderson over Boeser.
If we can trade Anderson for future assets sure. If not i'm fine in keeping him as he doesn't hurt us.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
At the stage that the Habs are at i Rather have Anderson over Boeser.
If we can trade Anderson for future assets sure. If not i'm fine in keeping him as he doesn't hurt us.
Yeah. I’d much rather have what Anderson brings to the table than Boeser.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
Boeser is a typical one dimensional offensive winger.

But even if he's not a fast skater, he's a steady producer.

This type of player isn't that popular around the league. More often than not we're surprised by the return when they get traded.

But, he's actually in the lowest part of his value trend.
Since their arrival in MTL, HuGo proved that they thrive in the buy low/sell high business.

If they're really interested in him, I think it would be with that perspective in mind.

Plus Habs top 6 isn't exactly very deep, he'd be a nice stop gap.

Anderson for Boeser I would do.

I think the formers' value will eventually trend down while Boesers' gonna go up.
Not a chance the Canucks will touch that contract.

Feb 19, 2018
I keep hearing “rare” skill set and more value due to it but in the same breath Tyler Myers is a negative asset? Imagine if Canuck fans started hyping up Myers due to him being 6’8 who’s a great skater and has a massive wingspan that could play some PK while clearing the net and drop them once in a while. Hardly overpaid right? Such a unique skill set he posses, also a rare RHD.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009

Great!

Anderson's a gritty 3rd line winger being paid like a consistent top six winger - that's a huge negative value contract. I'm not denying whether if he's a useful player or even 'rare' by your standards.

Focus on the big picture bud.

Power forwards have a VERY limited shelf-life in the NHL. He peaked at 25 with 27 goals and 47 points. He hasn't come close since. Dude's going to be 29 with 4 more years left when the 23-24 season starts. Nobody is touching that contract lol.

Dude has 10 points in 29 games - pacing for a nice 30 points and only trending downwards.

I keep hearing “rare” skill set and more value due to it but in the same breath Tyler Myers is a negative asset? Imagine if Canuck fans started hyping up Myers due to him being 6’8 who’s a great skater and has a massive wingspan that could play some PK while clearing the net and drop them once in a while. Hardly overpaid right? Such a unique skill set he posses, also a rare RHD.

Yeah... Habs fan making Josh Anderson sound like a 'rare breed' is frankly hilarious. Dude's an alright player that's being overpaid, is showing signs of regression, and has 4 more years left.

They don't understand the value he brings (being a power forward), also means he'll likely deteriorate faster as a player and thus rendering that contract to be terrible.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Here’s the thing. I don’t see any Montreal fans here trying to sell Vancouver fans on. Anderson. Just that we prefer to keep him over taking Boeser. It’s Vancouver fans that keep insisting that Montreal should take Boeser. We don’t want him. You may not like the reason. But quit trying to run down Anderson and pump Boeser’s flat tires. You keep Boeser, we’ll keep Anderson. That should make everyone happy no?

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Here’s the thing. I don’t see any Montreal fans here trying to sell Vancouver fans on. Anderson. Just that we prefer to keep him over taking Boeser. It’s Vancouver fans that keep insisting that Montreal should take Boeser. We don’t want him. You may not like the reason. But quit trying to run down Anderson and pump Boeser’s flat tires. You keep Boeser, we’ll keep Anderson. That should make everyone happy no?
So true.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Dakota Joshua has 8 points in 26 games on a fourth line role
Josh Anderson has 10 points in 28 games in a top six role.

Yeah I don't know... is it an exaggeration?

There's no narrative here... Anderson is producing at a 36 point pace in his 3 year career with Montreal so far.

You don't pay $5.5M for 36 point third line wingers if you are trying to build a cup contending team. Anderson could be a solid piece at $3.5M-$.4M on a short term deal.

Bottom line results matter... it's great that he's fast and hits, but he makes $5.5M a year - it's not chump change.

Anderson is playing a middle 6 role. But you like the 4th liner so go right ahead. Points approach flaw. If you are going to evaluate Anderson on his points, then you really don't know what kind of player he is. His value is size/skating and 20 goal threat. Turns up the heat in the playoffs.

Comparing Anderson to Joshua is like comparing Boeser to J Evans.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Yes but Canucks fans will insist Boeser is better and we are crazy :laugh:

Feb 19, 2018
Vancouver fans aren’t insisting anything, they are going by reporters who do this for a living.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
Anderson is playing a middle 6 role. But you like the 4th liner so go right ahead. Points approach flaw. If you are going to evaluate Anderson on his points, then you really don't know what kind of player he is. His value is size/skating and 20 goal threat. Turns up the heat in the playoffs.

Comparing Anderson to Joshua is like comparing Boeser to J Evans.
1671481514430.png

'Turns up the heat in the playoffs'

If Jake Evans starts producing like Boeser, sure go compare the two. If not, then what?

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009

When did we insist on anything? We are simply saying Anderson makes no sense for us or any team because his contract is terrible - going to be one of the worst in the league soon if not already.

A well connected source has mentioned that Montreal showed interest... but yeah I'm going to go off of a bunch of jabronis on HFBoards saying 'Montreal doesn't want/need Boeser trololol'.

I rather not compare Evans to Boeser even if he has a bump in production in the future. That's the point
The point is Dakota Joshua, is producing better than Anderson on a more efficient basis.

Evans has 5 points in 31 games...? There's no comparison. My comparison actually has merit because Joshua is producing more efficiently than Anderson. Dakota also brings size, can skate well, has grit and plays the PK.

Anderson is pacing for 28 points over 82 games. he makes $5.5M in a flat cap world. He's a negative value player but sure you can consider yourself otherwise.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
When did we insist on anything? We are simply saying Anderson makes no sense for us or any team because his contract is terrible - going to be one of the worst in the league soon if not already.

A well connected source has mentioned that Montreal showed interest... but yeah I'm going to go off of a bunch of jabronis on HFBoards saying 'Montreal doesn't want/need Boeser trololol'.

The point is Dakota Joshua, is producing better than Anderson on a more efficient basis.

Evans has 5 points in 31 games...? There's no comparison. My comparison actually has merit because Joshua is producing more efficiently than Anderson. Dakota also brings size, can skate well, has grit and plays the PK.

Anderson is pacing for 28 points over 82 games. he makes $5.5M in a flat cap world. He's a negative value player but sure you can consider yourself otherwise.

I don't care about Dakota Joshua points. You can focus on this but do you really think we lower our asking price on Anderson cause fans brought up Joshua? Come on man. Keep telling us how Anderson sucks. It doesn't matter cause he's our property and we are glad to have him. We will consider a trade if we get our pry away value. Ridicule us all you want. We know what we got and he's liked in our dressing room. Anderson is not being shopped like Boeser is. You may disagree but then that means you are getting fooled on what fans/media are saying vs what our actual Management has said.

And no, we are not desperate for Boeser. If you want to trade for low value to unload him, maybe we offer you Armia and a 3rd rounder. Doesn't measure up to your asking price? Sure, leave us alone then. We made our offer and we are not going to go higher. It's the same if someone offers something low on Anderson. Thank you but we decline. Have a nice day. Once there is no deal, it makes no sense to trash the player... that is stupid

I think there is more energy being spend on other fans devaluing Anderson than there is with Habs fans devaluing Boeser.

Last edited:

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018

OK but ask yourself.

What actual value does a player like Anderson have for the canucks who need to actually rebuild? He is beyond worthless for the route that team needs to go down.

Boeser might actually be beneficial to Montreal if he were to go there. but Anderson to Vancouver would be one of the more pointless moves that team could make. Anderson is the bottom 6 presence a playoff bubble/pretender team needs to make. Not a team like vancouver

kvladimir

Dec 1, 2010
Heh, didn't want to necro this thread, but since it's back, allow me to repost this:

I will probably regret this, but oh well here we go:

To NYI:

Boeser (6.65M x 2 more years)
Pearson (3.25 x 1 more year)
Total: 9.9M + 3 contract years

To VAN:

Beauvillier (4.15M x 1 more year)
Palmieri (5M x 2 more years)
Dufour (750k, RW B prospect)
Total: 9.9M + 3 contract years (and an ELC contract)

So, cap space and remaining contract years match, and NYI takes Boeser on for Beauvillier and Dufour, but to make up for his high salary, VAN takes a worse cap dump (Palmieri for Pearson, who has 1 additional year).

I feel like this would make sense - Boeser has higher potential than Beauvillier, they are near the same age and should benefit from a change of scenery, no? Just Boeser's salary that is an issue...

Any good? :dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad