Rumor: Dhaliwal- Keeps hearing Habs want Boeser. Claims that Habs have wanted Boeser for a long time, previously offered Romanov.

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
Boeser MIGHT be useful. Or he might be Hoffman 2.0. The point is Anderson IS useful to Montreal. A Boeser for Anderson swap doesn’t do anything gir Montreal either team
Fixed that for ya mate

And the Habs are rebuilding so why would they want Boeser who doesn't help our team and is slow and soft as shit?
At least Anderson brings speed and toughness. You keep Boeser and the Habs will happily keep Anderson.
Ya, you may have been to busy responding to understand that I wasn't advocating trading either of them to the other team.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
well no, you are saying that, but habs fans in this thread have proposed or discussed boeser trades for drouin, dadanov, armia, monahan, gallagher, dvorak, hoffman and anderson.

so "most" habs fans are apparently wide open to a hockey trade for boeser here. they are just dickering.

plus there are other habs fans saying they can't take on boeser because they want to go sign dubois who is only one year younger than boeser.

so i am kinda not buying the most habs fans are focussed on a rebuild and picks.

so "maybe" 67 and counting should speak for himself and let other habs fans speak for themselves.
The bubble year was a long time ago, it's not the same GM

Rumour from the bubble aside (which has zero relevance to todays team). Boeser makes zero sense for Montreal Montreal has Caufield , Anderson , Gallagher and Armia as right wings signed long term. So unless the deal includes . Gallagher or Armia going the other way I can’t see how they make room for him (both positionally and cap wise )

Because it made sense two years ago not now,

Long term winger contracts
Slafkovsky, Caufield, Anderson, Gallagher potentially even Dach and we know there's interest in Dubois.

Right now the bigger need for the team is a long term 2C to replace money hands when he goes away either at the TDL or end of season unless Dach can take over.

Nevermind the GM and President has changed.

This makes no sense to me...
1) Different management team
2) Different situation: Bergevin built with some thought to the future but a lot to the present, too, so Boeser would've made sense, but now the Habs are in a full-fledged rebuild.
3) Boeser's contract means he'll be a UFA just as the Habs can start to hope to be a regular playoff team (if the rebuild goes well)
4) The only way this could work is if Vancouver wants to take back a pretty bad contract (Gallagher, maybe Armia) or is going to basically give Boeser away for an expiring contract like Dadonov, or maybe for someone Bergevin loved but that new management isn't enamoured with. Still hard to see a fit...

Totally different era of Habs.

Different management, players & situation (rebuilding vs not rebuilding)

Why would Montreal want Boeser exactly? :huh:

The same reason that it was stupid to trade futures for Dvorak. They're nowhere near being a competitive franchise. By the time they're in the playoff conversation he'll be a year or two from UFA and in his late 20s. Assuming they draft well, there's no guarantee that he hasn't been replaced by that point.

Teams that are rebuilding shouldn't make trades like this. They're stupid.

I'm not sure how Boeser would fill an urgent enough need in Montreal for the team to give up important assets to get him. The Habs needs are youth and talent at centre, goaltending and on defense.

I keep Anderson over taking Boeser. At least Anderson has speed to burn and brings physical intangibles thst Boeser totally lacks. He’s also $1.15m cheaper

Habs need:

Future #1 goalie
Future #1 or #2 D to support Guhle
#2C behind Suzuki

The rest is irrelevant.

Yeah, I do think the Habs knocked on the door before and likely again lately but I don't think he turns the needle for us during the rebuild/transition years. We are still going to hoard our futures and with Boeser, the best we can do is probably Armia and a 3rd rounder. If another team trumps that, let them.

I understand just fine. And comparing him to 21 year old Dach is just strawman. Anderson is a better fit for Montreal’s system. He’s blazing fast. Far better defensively and brings a physical aspect that Boeser totally lacks. He’s also developing chemistry with Slafkovsky. Is he a value contract? He’ll no. But neither is Boeser. And if the two I prefer Anderson.
Is that enough of other Habs fans telling you we don't really want him/need him .

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Fixed that for ya mate

Ya, you may have been to busy responding to understand that I wasn't advocating trading either of them to the other team.
That’s fair. I think that’s a reasonable assessment. Which is why I’m shocked by how many Vancouver fans continue to advocate for the trade

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Really weird and doesn't make much sense. Was it the previous regime that wanted Boeser, because the current one hasn't been around long? The Habs have too many forwards as is and Boeser really doesn't fill a need. We've got a much better version of goal scorer in Caufield already.

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
That’s fair. I think that’s a reasonable assessment. Which is why I’m shocked by how many Vancouver fans continue to advocate for the trade
I don't know why they would to begin with. It would be like Vancouver trading for another small LHD or Montreal for a small left shooting winger.

Makes no sense for either team for numerous reasons.

Do they have assets that would help the other team in a multi asset trade? yes probably. But those trades don't happen anymore

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Really weird and doesn't make much sense. Was it the previous regime that wanted Boeser, because the current one hasn't been around long? The Habs have too many forwards as is and Boeser really doesn't fill a need. We've got a much better version of goal scorer in Caufield already.
Yes. The rumour was from the bubble. So prior to Montreal trading for Anderson and and getting Caufield into the lineup

Reactions: CanadienShark

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Is that enough of other Habs fans telling you we don't really want him/need him .

well that also is wrong but more importantly it isn't what you said originally, and it does't refute what i said. also, why are you digging such a huge hole trying to dunk on me for my original post saying nothing more controversial than "both sides are overvaluing their trade pieces"?

i am comfortable that your original snotty statement telling me that i couldn't read properly because "most" habs fans wanted trades for prospects/ picks is complete horseshit. i am comfortable that is the case because habs fans, including some habs fans you just quoted, have discussed trading 8 different habs roster players for this player in this thread, meaning my original post in which i commented on both fan bases overvaluing their players was clearly "fair comment".

habs fan interest in this thread and the number of their own players they put out there as trade bait suggests you are maybe protesting a little bit too muich there, bub.

but if you want to go to the mattresses demanding that i acknowledge your opinion as the dominant habs fan opinion, i guess that is your tortured inane business.

• Haha
Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
but if you want to go to the mattresses demanding that i acknowledge your opinion as the dominant habs fan opinion, i guess that is your tortured inane business.
I think the consensus among Habs fans is that it makes no sense to expend assets to acquire Boeser, but if Vancouver just wants to get out from under his contract and Montreal can get him for one or many of our expiring contracts or for support players, sure, why not ? This team needs scoring, and Boeser could help there, and perhaps we can turn a negative asset into a positive one. (think Monahan hopefully fetching us a nice return as a rental)
But there won't be a positive, attractive return on Boeser from Montreal.

EDIT: re-ordering sentences to make some sense.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2018
Maybe you should try reading it a little more carefully.
Most Habs are not saying our player is better . What we are saying is he suits our needs more and we are rebuilding. So if we trade we should be trading for Prospects/picks.
Who in the salary Cap world takes on a $5.5 million dollar player with 4 years left pacing for 30 points without a Cap dump coming back? Pipe dream to think you could get picks and prospects for a player like Anderson. Expiring UFA’s will get picks and Prospects at the deadline but anything with term will be a “Hockey trade” with Cap going out and coming in, otherwise you’re the one adding picks to the player to dump them on a team like Arizona.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
I think the consensus among Habs fans is that it makes no sense to expend assets to acquire Boeser, but if Vancouver just wants to get out from under his contract and Montreal can get him for one or many of our expiring contracts or for support players, sure, why not ? This team needs scoring, and Boeser could help there, and perhaps we can turn a negative asset into a positive one. (think Monahan hopefully fetching us a nice return as a rental)
But there won't be a positive, attractive return on Boeser from Montreal.

EDIT: re-ordering sentences to make some sense.
I wouldn’t do it for an expiring contract. Boeser is signed for 3 years and that $6.65m could be better spent elsewhere. Boeser with his production and his cap hit simply isn’t a fit in Montreal

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
i dont think the Canucks should trade Boeser, only because his value is at a low point. He was a calder finalist not that long ago, has had a horrible past couple years and looks like crap, but even still is putting up points. To trade him you'd get a garbage return, hence all the replies here.

The Canucks should maximize their attractive assets -- Horvat, Kuzmenko, Schenn
They should not dump Boeser (or Garland) -- if they wanna dump someone, its Myers -- or Miller (given the opposite optics of his contract and team trajectory.)

Reactions: eli4spetterss0n

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
well that also is wrong but more importantly it isn't what you said originally, and it does't refute what i said. also, why are you digging such a huge hole trying to dunk on me for my original post saying nothing more controversial than "both sides are overvaluing their trade pieces"?

i am comfortable that your original snotty statement telling me that i couldn't read properly because "most" habs fans wanted trades for prospects/ picks is complete horseshit. i am comfortable that is the case because habs fans, including some habs fans you just quoted, have discussed trading 8 different habs roster players for this player in this thread, meaning my original post in which i commented on both fan bases overvaluing their players was clearly "fair comment".

habs fan interest in this thread and the number of their own players they put out there as trade bait suggests you are maybe protesting a little bit too muich there, bub.

Agreed. I'm not sure why fans act like their opinions are reality and reflective of what the ACTUAL team wants.

I remember long time ago, I was debating with several posters on HFBoards about a Cory Schneider to NJD trade. Most NJD fans said: 'WE DON'T NEED HIM, WE DON'T WANT HIM WE HAVE KINKAID'. Next couple days later, Schneider gets traded to NJD.

The reality is that Montreal is a rebuilding team that has trouble scoring goals. Sure they have a lot of wingers, but none of them are generating much offense outside of Caulfield. Boeser is a perfect buy-low piece that could be a staple in their top six for years to come at a very discounted price.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Agreed. I'm not sure why fans act like their opinions are reality and reflective of what the ACTUAL team wants.

I remember long time ago, I was debating with several posters on HFBoards about a Cory Schneider to NJD trade. Most NJD fans said: 'WE DON'T NEED HIM, WE DON'T WANT HIM WE HAVE KINKAID'. Next couple days later, Schneider gets traded to NJD.

The reality is that Montreal is a rebuilding team that has trouble scoring goals. Sure they have a lot of wingers, but none of them are generating much offense outside of Caulfield. Boeser is a perfect buy-low piece that could be a staple in their top six for years to come at a very discounted price.

yeah, i didn't start out focussing on this issue but i agree boeser is a decent fit for montreal in the real world, rebuild or not

if you feed boeser minutes he will generate points at a decent clip. even relegated to mostly second pp duty with vancouver and in and out of the line up with injuries he puts up points and he did it when the canucks were even worse than they are now. you can fairly criticize when and how he does it a lot of the time in terms of meaningful points, but he does do it and for a bad team just trying to look like a team any scoring is of some value. he also does drive play at times, just not all the time like he used to.

he's also a super likeable marketable player and a quality individual.

so he's a good fit now for montreal even if the team is seriously rebuilding which i seriously doubt. a little bit of lipstick on the pig.

and he is also a good gamble as a future core member at 25. he's not too old given the age of montreals current core pieces and the fact they covet pld. his presence on the roster might even help land him.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
yeah, i didn't start out focussing on this issue but i agree boeser is a decent fit for montreal in the real world, rebuild or not

if you feed boeser minutes he will generate points at a decent clip. even relegated to mostly second pp duty with vancouver and in and out of the line up with injuries he puts up points and he did it when the canucks were even worse than they are now. you can fairly criticize when and how he does it a lot of the time in terms of meaningful points, but he does do it and for a bad team just trying to look like a team any scoring is of some value. he also does drive play at times, just not all the time like he used to.

so he's a good fit now for montreal even if the team is seriously rebuilding which i seriously doubt. a little bit of lipstick on the pig.

and he is also a good gamble as a future core member at 25. he's not too old given the age of montreals current core pieces and the fact they covet pld. his presence on the roster might even help land him.
Oh look. Another Vancouver fan trying to pump Boeser’s tires. Boeser is not a fit in Montreal. Not at all. He’s slow, expensive, injury prone, and redundant considering Montreals current lineup.

Please, enough. No one in Montreal wants Boeser at 3 x &6.65 m. Retain half. Then sure. He’s worth a Flyer. But that doesn’t make sense for Vancouver. So just keep him and we’ll go our separate ways.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009

Yeah some people are just out to lunch.

Habs fans: WE'RE BUILDLING!

Same Habs fans: WE'RE NOT INTERESTED IN A 25 YEAR OLD TOP SIX FORWARD!

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Oh look. Another Vancouver fan trying to pump Boeser’s tires. Boeser is not a fit in Montreal. Not at all. He’s slow, expensive, injury prone, and redundant considering Montreals current lineup.

Please, enough. No one in Montreal wants Boeser at 3 x &6.65 m. Retain half. Then sure. He’s worth a Flyer. But that doesn’t make sense for Vancouver. So just keep him and we’ll go our separate ways.
No No he just told me both sides overvalue their player. We rather have Boeser than prospects or picks, now he's trying to sell us Hab fans how a player we are not interested in would be the perfect fit for our team.
And he says i'm digging a hole.:huh:

Who in the salary Cap world takes on a $5.5 million dollar player with 4 years left pacing for 30 points without a Cap dump coming back? Pipe dream to think you could get picks and prospects for a player like Anderson. Expiring UFA’s will get picks and Prospects at the deadline but anything with term will be a “Hockey trade” with Cap going out and coming in, otherwise you’re the one adding picks to the player to dump them on a team like Arizona.
We'll see.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

honestly, i don't care if you want him or not. i agree he has plenty of flaws. i just see him as a good fit for a team like the habs, which has plenty of flaws.

also, i started out just commenting on both sides in this discussion being equally ridiculous in their posturing but i have to say habs fans have since then really taken an enormous lead in that particular turtle derby of futility. well done.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018

Good point. But that means Vancouver has to accept that they'll be looking at returns at "a very discounted price".

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
honestly, i don't care if you want him or not. i agree he has plenty of flaws. i just see him as a good fit for a team like the habs, which has plenty of flaws.

also, i started out just commenting on both sides in this discussion being equally ridiculous in their posturing but i have to say habs fans have since then really taken an enormous lead in that particular turtle derby of futility. well done.
It’s been 10 pages of Montreal fans laying out all the reasons that Boeser isn’t a fit and Vancouver fans telling us we’re wrong and we should want him cause he had a good rookie season and one day he could be good again.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
It’s been 10 pages of Montreal fans laying out all the reasons that Boeser isn’t a fit and Vancouver fans telling us we’re wrong and we should want him cause he had a good rookie season and one day he could be good again.

you must have a lot of habs fans on ignore.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
Good point. But that means Vancouver has to accept that they'll be looking at returns at "a very discounted price".
I agree. Canucks won't even get close to full value for Boeser... his value will be akin to Bjorkstrand or less.

I think Armia + 2nd is a fair offer from the Habs and one the Canucks should consider just to shed cap space and pray Armia can bounce back.

you must have a lot of habs fans on ignore.
Dude is delusional - don't worry about him.

Literally 2 season ago Brock had 49 points in 56 games but yeah, he only had one good rookie year.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I agree. Canucks won't even get close to full value for Boeser... his value will be akin to Bjorkstrand or less.

I think Armia + 2nd is a fair offer from the Habs and one the Canucks should consider just to shed cap space and pray Armia can bounce back.
If Vancouver sells Boeser at a low point, I don't expect them to take a long, bad contract in return.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad