Rumor: Dhaliwal - Canucks will now take best offer for Horvat

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I just listened to Rick Dhaliwal on TV, he said that the Canucks latest offer was rejected, it was just short of $8 million, Canucks have gone as far as possible for the organization, and WILL be taking best offer for Horvat before the deadline

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Horvat is going to get comically overpaid because he's having an insane year this year.

He's a 2nd line center on a good team and some crazy team is going to pay him $8 million a year.
Not sure based on comparable players that 8 million is crazy. He’s played well before this year and been a beast in the playoffs. Scoring centre who is elite at face offs…. Those players will always get paid.

Horvat I’m guessing signs for something similar to what the Canucks offered…. He’s given 10 years to this trash team and gotten nothing back other than a slap in the face when they signed Miller first….

Don’t blame him at all, he’s been great.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Question is, would you rather have Miller or Horvat at 8M?

Miller has scored more in the last few years but is sometimes a clown defensively. Horvat scores less but is better defensively. Absolute faceoff ace. Horvat is 2 years younger and team captain.

Obviously this ship has sailed but Miller really should have been dealt instead.

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
Horvat is going to get comically overpaid because he's having an insane year this year.

He's a 2nd line center on a good team and some crazy team is going to pay him $8 million a year.
When you look at his historical numbers and the line mates he played with and the consistency of his numbers he's better than his previous years suggest I would say.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012

Miller has scored more in the last few years but is sometimes a clown defensively. Horvat scores less but is better defensively. Absolute faceoff ace. Horvat is 2 years younger and team captain.

Obviously this ship has sailed but Miller really should have been dealt instead.
With this analysis, Red Wings would choose Horvat. I would love it if they could trade for him, hopefully for a sign and trade. We would have a great 1C 2C 3C lineup and that's surprising to even think about because we never really had good center depth for the past 5-7 years or so.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
It's too bad it went this way with Horvat. I liked the guy, and was hoping he'd be a Canuck for a long time, but we can't afford to be paying a great 2C as if he were a 1C.

I don't think Horvat can continue this sort of goal scoring pace. I think he'll go back to being a ~30 goal, 65 point center next season. I'd pay him just over 7mil, but anything more than that is overpayment.

I wonder what we'll be able to get for the guy, hopefully we can maximize some sort of return.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Dhaliwal is probably the only guy around the Canucks that I would put any stock in.

I wouldn't go much, if anything,over 8 for Horvat, so depending on what his ask is, I'm fine to move on. I do think that one side will budge enough to make a deal happen in Vancouver though.

Canucks have a few days off before heading to Calgary, I do expect that a move or two will happen before that, there has been too much smoke surrounding the team to be quiet up until the trade freeze.

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
Whatever the "best offer" for Horvat is.

It means this team is done for the year. It also suggests that they knew which is why we saw Miller at centre yesterday during practice.

It doesn't matter what they suggest or do. They do not have a centre to take Horvats draws, d-zone starts or replicate his scoring.

The moment he is gone, we go from losing a few to losing the majority.

That would mean the most common sense thing to do afterwards is also cash in on Schenn and Kuzmenko.

I would also go even further to suggest that trading Boeser for a moderate return by taking back a similar shorter term contract on a non productive player is also a smart move. If Myers can also be moved for a moderate return by taking back a shorter term comparable contract of the same type of non productive player they do it.

The writing is on the wall for this team once Horvat is gone and management can accept that they can weaponize the cap space they can garner by smart trades and short term pain to retool around Hughes/Pettersson/Demko and Podkolzin over the next 2-3 seasons or they can continue doing the same thing the organization has done for a decade and hope for different results.

This is where it gets interesting for the Canucks fans and team builders out there

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018

Should have been. But by the way those tweets are worded, the management group stated that the Miller deal handcuffed them in regards to Horvat. Possibly buyers remorse?

Miller absolutely should have gone last year during a career year for the best possible return but for whatever reason they didn't pull the trigger and are now going to find some regret with Captain lackadaisical for the next 8 years worth of him Kovaleving on plays

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Honestly, 8 mil for Bo is not that bad.

He’s not a top line center, but he’s the perfect 2C. With the cap going up soon I don’t think it’s as outlandish as everyone’s making it seem.
The reason it is outlandish is that their agents started by asking for the Couturier contract (Friedman like two months ago), and this report indicates that they seemingly offered him that... and they said no.

Which means either they've upped their asking price, which was already very high given that agents will pick the best comparable while the team will pick the most favorable and usually work their way to a compromise.

Now their best comparable wasn't good enough. That's a big change. Either he is desperate to move on and the offer we made really didn't matter at this point (believable) or his agents have upped their asking price given his hot start and the fact the canucks decreased their leverage over the past few months (also believable). Or both.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

GM Armchair

Dec 16, 2019
He will take around 8mil somewhere else. He wants out and that makes it pretty easy to say no to any offer.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Could imagine Colorado doing something like Girard + newhook for an extended horvat

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Don't tell me: a player, a pick, and a prospect?

Is that still the standard ask on Vancouver's top-level trade offerings?

• Haha
Reactions: lawrence

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad