OT: DFF's Hockey Name Hall of Fame (also: best and worst hockey names)

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I figured maybe this could use its own thread instead of taking over the Laughton/Jenner thread...

Hockey Name Hall of Fame Members

Radek Bonk
Cal Clutterbuck
Boone Jenner
Daren Puppa
Ron Tugnutt
Hakan Loob
Jeff Buekeboom
Peter Zezel
Kirk Maltby
Wayne Gretzky
Tony Twist
Andy Moog
Ziggy Palffy
Zarley Zalapski
Ron Duguay
Byron Bitz

2014 Ballot

Joel Otto
Dale Hawrechuk
Justin Abdelkader
Rob Klinkhammer
Niko Dimitrakos
Branko Radivojevič

Must receive 75% of the vote to be inducted.

Last edited:

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Best and worst hockey names

From the Laughton vs Jenner thread, let's gather up the suggestions of best and worst (or just really funny) hockey names here. I'll start:

Best: Gordie Howe. A no-nonsense, three-syllable name with the necessary "ie" at the end of the first name.
HMs: Dougie Gilmour (as above, with one more syllable, easy to say); Stu Grimson (perfect name for what he was, a feared enforcer)

Worst: Sheldon Kannegiesser. I remember this name from my days of hockey card collecting in the 1970s. The series featured many pics that looked like the photographers asked the player to get geared up in his living room. Kannegiesser's card was one of the most common, and least desired, one season.
HMs: Pat Boutette (just doesn't strike me as a "tough" name, probably because of the "ette" ending); Wacey Rabbit (Boston prospect, no explanation necessary); Hakan Loob

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
My username is basically a tribute to cool hockey names, and both guys played for the Flyers (Zalapski for about a second). I've always liked Abdelkader because it sounds like a superhero or something, but I couldn't go against Branko.

BrimFullofAsham45

Dec 22, 2002
Justin Abdelkader is not just a horrible hockey name, its also a horrible name in general. Does not deserve to be in this poll whatsoever.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I have both these cards and as a kid I couldn't stop laughing at the site of them (thought they were brothers)....but Juha's name I always thought was bad but the pic made it worse I think..

juhawiding.jpg

$T2eC16F,!yUE9s6NEG6TBRns(!D!Ng~~60_57.JPG

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Wacey Rabbit is another good one. I used to always get him in NHL13. Also Byron Bitz. That guy is definitely getting added.

Reactions: Amorgus

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
Going current here, but Jonathan Quick has to be the best name in hockey right now. Fits him perfectly.

Some bad ones

Jordin Tootoo (sound like a ballet dancer)
Grant Clitsome (no explanation needed)
Pierre-Luc Letourneau-Leblond (Sounds so snobby)

Reactions: Amorgus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad