Player Discussion: Devon Toews

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I can see him avoiding it because he only played half the year and he's an older sophomore. Plus, he plays a simple, risk-free game.
Absolutely. I think that may be one of the side benefits of having your prospects overripe in the AHL. I don't think Toews will become a true #1 Dman (or Pairing guy) in this league. But he is a solid top 4 guy who skates well, makes good decisions and is physical enough to stand his ground in front of the net. My guess is that he solidifies what we already have seen of him this year - a strong mainstay in the lineup that you can rely on. If we could wave a magic wand and make Aho that top pairing guy, we'd be set for the next 10 years with Aho-Dobson/Toews-Pulock/Pelech - Mayfield/Wilde with a number of other guys for redundancy.

Erik Brannstrom would look good for that Dman spot. f***ing Snow.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Absolutely. I think that may be one of the side benefits of having your prospects overripe in the AHL. I don't think Toews will become a true #1 Dman (or Pairing guy) in this league. But he is a solid top 4 guy who skates well, makes good decisions and is physical enough to stand his ground in front of the net. My guess is that he solidifies what we already have seen of him this year - a strong mainstay in the lineup that you can rely on. If we could wave a magic wand and make Aho that top pairing guy, we'd be set for the next 10 years with Aho-Dobson/Toews-Pulock/Pelech - Mayfield/Wilde with a number of other guys for redundancy.

Erik Brannstrom would look good for that Dman spot. ****ing Snow.

I really don't think 130 games in the AHL qualifies as over-ripening. He should have made the team going into the 2017-18 season since he outplayed Pelech and Hickey in the preseason by quite a bit.

Reactions: bigtim1988

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
It's crazy, but when folks say that Toews only has 2nd-pairing potential, I think that's underrating him. How can folks be so confident that his ceiling isn't much higher than what he showed last year? I'm not making predictions that he will be much better, but I'm not at all certain he won't be.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
It's crazy, but when folks say that Toews only has 2nd-pairing potential, I think that's underrating him. How can folks be so confident that his ceiling isn't much higher than what he showed last year? I'm not making predictions that he will be much better, but I'm not at all certain he won't be.
As I just stated that opinion I'll go on record to be extremely happy to be wrong. But I'm not sure that saying "I don't think Toews will become a true #1...." is being "so confident". Its an opinion on a message board - no need to be all that confident to state it. But, I generally use the term #1 Dman sparingly which more or less equates to a top 15 Defenseman in my mind (as opposed there being 31 top Dmen in the league). Its a high bar reserved for the likes of the Karlssons, Doughtys, Giordanos, etc. of the game. I would love Toews to ascend to that level. I don't think he'll get there mostly on account of its an extremely high bar, but if he keeps building on what he did last year and continues to improve, I'm as happy as Bones with a Shannon Blowup Doll.

Reactions: dano16

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Its a high bar reserved for the likes of the Karlssons, Doughtys, Giordanos, etc. of the game. I would love Toews to ascend to that level. I don't think he'll get there mostly on account of its an extremely high bar, but if he keeps building on what he did last year and continues to improve, I'm as happy as Bones with a Shannon Blowup Doll.

Okay. I don't think he's going to be top-15 either, but there's a long way between top-15 and 2nd pairing. I don't think Pulock will be there either, for what that's worth. I guess we really don't disagree.

Reactions: crasherino

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008

I agree. When I think of a solid top-4 guy I think of someone like CdH. And I think Toews ceiling is way higher than that, especially considering his skating and offensive abilities.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad