Devon Toews is underpaid

flashy

In the name of Kane.
Dec 17, 2009
Edmonton
picked him up when he was IR. at the start of the season in fantasy.

He is the most underrated defenseman in the league. Makar puts up the points and is amazing at at offence but when you look at the def stats and advanced its clear who the best overall (and i mean this litterally) defenseman is.

take the PP points away from Makar which Ill concede is a huge part of the guys game.

and look at 5v5 goals against, shots, chances, etc.

Avs are better at gf and ga with toews vs makar

not to mention Toews does PK (hard minutes) vs Makar getting fed PP

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
I think you have to give the advanced stats folks their due on this one. Toews is definitely a top defenseman in the league. And also the best Toews LOL

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

He is the most underrated defenseman in the league. Makar puts up the points and is amazing at at offence but when you look at the def stats and advanced its clear who the best overall (and i mean this litterally) defenseman is.

take the PP points away from Makar which Ill concede is a huge part of the guys game.

If you actually watch Colorado play, it’s pretty obvious that Makar is better. I don’t even think it’s that close, tbh.

Last edited:

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015

When you look at the games instead of advanced stats it becomes very clear Makar is the superior player

Reactions: TatteredTornNFrayed

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Could someone summarize some of his advanced stats like goals above replacement and such. I have a feeling he looks at least ok there, but is he anywhere close to, say, top-50 in NHL there?
upload_2022-3-8_0-54-58.jpeg

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Colorado Avalanche record this year.

5-6-1 without Toews
50-9-5 with Toews
Just asking, wasn’t there some overlap with his injuries/time miss with other key players missing time and or their goalie playing less good? The early part of the season is a blur at this point but I assumed that’s when he missed games?

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Just asking, wasn’t there some overlap with his injuries/time miss with other key players missing time and or their goalie playing less good? The early part of the season is a blur at this point but I assumed that’s when he missed games?
He missed first 10 or so recovering from a surgery done in the summer.

Then he missed at least one game against Nashville, where it was a total joke the game was even played, because everyone was missing for both sides.

And now misses four games due to some undisclosed injury.

I think for the first 10 games or so pretty much everyone was healthy. Almost instantly after Toews returned, Avalanche took over the NHL.

Reactions: MaKarter

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Avalanche is now 5-7-1 without Toews this season. That's .423 and over 82 games that's 69 points. As an example of a team close to .423 this season, Ottawa is .422 and is ranked at 26th in the NHL right now.

TatteredTornNFrayed

very angry indeed
Jan 15, 2008
Yes.
I don't recall all the details, but I think the early games Toews missed overlapped with some guys missing for Covid tests, as well as a Landeskog suspension, and Kuemper slow adjustment period at the beginning of the season.

Edit: I forget the reason, but Mackinnon was also out multiple games at the beginning of the season.

Last edited:

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Toews missed from four games recently, for example against Jets and Kraken. Avalanche got a grand total of zero points from those.

He returned last night and instantly a win. Then again, Blues is probably another of
All those teams are absolute garbage and playing even worse than expected as well.
so that must be the reason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad