Devin Setoguchi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
loudi94 said:
According to his agent, if the draft wouldn't have been held this year, he could have easily fallen to the 4th or 5th round next year.
I find this hard to believe. I'm betting you don't have a link.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
timlap said:
I find this hard to believe. I'm betting you don't have a link.

Why is it hard to believe? The player had an up and down season this year. Add another year of prospects to the mix and a promising 18 year old gets the nod while a promising 19 year old moves way down in the draft. Corey Locke led the OHL in scoring in 2003 and he was taken round 4 #113 overall. Why? Age.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
loudi94 said:
Why is it hard to believe? The player had an up and down season this year. Add another year of prospects to the mix and a promising 18 year old gets the nod while a promising 19 year old moves way down in the draft. Corey Locke led the OHL in scoring in 2003 and he was taken round 4 #113 overall. Why? Age.
Well, with Locke it wasn't just age. There's also the bad skating and size.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
Seachd said:
Well, with Locke it wasn't just age. There's also the bad skating and size.

Good point (but he'll be in the NHL soon :teach: ). He was just an example off the top of my head. This year Syvret will go later in the draft than others because being older is a factor.

Zetterberg4Captain*

Draft Guru said:
Oh please. Let's not start a credibility debate here, you'll lose that one quickly. Flatt is useless, he'll never be an NHLer. And if he will, which is slim because he can't skate and can't fight, he won't be anything more than a 7th defenseman/minor-league call up.

You actually watch the Blades? Did you watch their playoff series against Prince Albert? The Raiders ran around hitting everything and everyone in sight, and where was big bad Flatt to do anything about it? Nowhere. Lorne Molleken was absolutely furious with Flatt and some others on the team that they didn't stick up for their teammates and fight. There's strong indications that Flatt won't be back with Saskatoon next season for that very reason.

Im thinking that you have never seen a Blades game. Yeah that playoffs series wass bad but Flatt can fight. Take it from someone who has actually seen him play. BTW, I wasnt arguing about you saying he was bad at skating I was argung about the fact that you said he was bad at fighting, which he is not, and not tough, which he is. Oh also I dont think there going to get rid of Flatt because of one playoff series, that was a pretty stupid thing to say.

maxen1

Jul 17, 2004
I'm totally impressed that you know Bobby Orr well enough that he would talk about his client in a negative way...

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
maxen1 said:
I'm totally impressed that you know Bobby Orr well enough that he would talk about his client in a negative way...

It's not negative, just realistic. Many of the players that will go this year in the first round would drop 2 or 3 rounds if the draft waited another year.

BTW, who said I knew Bobby Orr. Maybe it's just a friend of a friend of a friend of an uncle's cousin. :D Regardless, the fact is, a lost draft year would have been tough. :teach:

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
loudi94 said:
The hard to believe part is that his agent said that.

maxen1

Jul 17, 2004
maybe that's why Barnes is rated so low in this years draft? He opted out of last years draft because he got hurt which hurt his ranking this year. I think he is a good player but maybe not quite as good as some of you are suggesting... Has he ever been selected to a Canadian National team?

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
loudi94 said:
I understand that. Forget that I even brought that part up.
Already forgotten. Forget what, anyway? :D

I agree with your other point, btw.

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
Let's just say this...Joe Barnes and Hockey Canada do not see eye to eye. They've had problems in the past. Barnes' injury occurred at the Under-18 camp and Hockey Canada could have handled things a lot differently then they did. I don't think you will see Barnes on a Canadian team for what went on between the two.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
i don't know much about either of these guys, but i've noticed that there don't seem to be any real explanations for why one is better than the other exactly. if setoguchi has so much more potential than barnes, tell us why. how does barnes skills match up with setoguchi?

Michalek9

Sep 2, 2004
Saskatoon, Sask
Ok, well I live in Saskatoon and have watched my fair share of Blades games. Setoguchi is better than Barnes. Barnes isn't that creative with the puck put he can skate pretty good. He is mostly a north - south skater though. Barnes this year was helped out alot by Keller, Green, Rabbit, and Setoguchi. I would say that Barnes though is alot better than Wacey Rabbit. Some nights Barnes was unreal and sometimes he was no where to be seen.

Setoguchi has great speed and can skate north,south,east,west, wherever you want him to. He has a cannon of a shot. He hits and scores goals and is a good penalty killer and pp man. Hes a lesser version of Brule. Gooch as we call him will no doubt be much better than Barnes in the dub, ahl, or nhl if they any of them make it there.

Round John

Sep 9, 2003
Visit site
If I were to rank the Blades prospects in the draft.

1 Setoguchi. I've read comparisons between he and Langenbrunner. I think that is fair, with Setoguchi potentially having more offensive flare than Langenbrunner. Physically Setoguchi is solid and doesn't shy away from contact. He plays in all situations of the game, is a fast skater, and offensively creative.

2 Barnes. Coming off of a devastating neck injury has slowed his development, however Barnes has displayed courage and character in his return to competitive hockey. Barnes brings a solid frame and good skill set. For his size Barnes should be able to drive the net better, and for his size he shouldn't shy away from the physical contact which does happen with this prospect. Barnes can also be far too concerned with me over team stats over wins.

3 Rabbit. An offensively creative and quick forward. Rabbit is an elusive player however the grind of a full season seems to result in diminished production as a season progresses. His size precludes him from getting into the game in the corners and along the boards. In a wide open game he flourishes, in a tight checking physical game he withers.

4 Flatt. A big defenseman who realisitically showed better than his skill level paired with Blades top d-man Mike Green. He has limited mobility, vision, and breakout passing. His toughness can also be debated as he mostly was clutch, grab and hold on in any fight he was in, however it is believed he had a serious injury to his left hand for much of the season limiting his effectiveness. Flatt does have the ability to throw solid checks along the boards and plays effectively in front of his own net.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Michalek9 said:
Ok, well I live in Saskatoon and have watched my fair share of Blades games. Setoguchi is better than Barnes. Barnes isn't that creative with the puck put he can skate pretty good. He is mostly a north - south skater though. Barnes this year was helped out alot by Keller, Green, Rabbit, and Setoguchi. I would say that Barnes though is alot better than Wacey Rabbit. Some nights Barnes was unreal and sometimes he was no where to be seen.

Setoguchi has great speed and can skate north,south,east,west, wherever you want him to. He has a cannon of a shot. He hits and scores goals and is a good penalty killer and pp man. Hes a lesser version of Brule. Gooch as we call him will no doubt be much better than Barnes in the dub, ahl, or nhl if they any of them make it there.

OK Michalek, since you've seen Setoguchi play a bit, maybe you can give something (anything) encouraging to Shark's Fans who are doing a collective WTF.

Any guess what DW sees in him to not only pick him, but waste a 2nd rounder to actually trade up to pick him at #8.

Baron Von Shark

Feb 21, 2003
CA
Visit site
Ah I missed this thread. Mods, go ahead and lock or merge my Setoguchi thread with this one.

Here's a link on Setoguchi from the Sharks page: http://www.sjsharks.com/sharks/news/news.asp?news_id=1415

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Draft Guru said:
Of course it's based on potential. Nobody ever said it wasn't. What I said, and from what I've been told a number of scouts agree with me, was that Joe Barnes was Saskatoon's best player last year and is a more complete package than Setoguchi. And he has more potential. I've heard that numerous scouts/GMs went to Saskatoon to see Setoguchi play, only to come away amazed with Barnes and feeling he's the better prospect.

Obviously many scouts disagree with you Guru... actually, probably every decent scout... although I really like Joe Barnes and hope he does well in the Canes organization.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Hindsight makes this thread so funny.

Draftguru slams Setoguchi and praises Barnes, and then rips Flatt a new one.

Then draft day rolls around, Setoguchi goes 8th overall - Barnes gets passed over by everyone at least twice and Flatt gets picked up 77th overall - by Draftguru's team.

Oh the irony.

fuzzerson

¡Ãndele!
Jul 23, 2005
Seachd said:
Often players, unless they're standouts (ie. first rounders), get their age held against them in the draft. Not saying it's right or wrong. Teams are willing to go for more potential. So if that happens to Barnes, I won't be surprised.

And this is why I wish the draft age was 19.

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
Seeing as how younggunshockey.com had Setoguchi at #7, we love the Sharks' pick. Maybe next year we'll send the TSN crew a free subscription. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad