Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
fuzzerson said:
And this is why I wish the draft age was 19.

Here's what a former GM said about raising the draft age, when I asked him about it:

I don’t know. I don’t know what the goal is to raise the draft age. If you think you get to evaluate players a longer period of time before having to select them, that’s a fair point, but I can tell you that history shows that there’s no correlation of a higher draft age and players failing. Whether it’s a 20-year-old draft or an 18-year-old draft, the same percentage of players do not make it for different reasons. I think that when you start looking at it again, whether they’re 18 or 20, other than baseball there’s no business in the world, that 18, 19, 20 years olds to come and contribute at the pro level.

So while you do get a longer time to evaluate players, it doesn't necessarily mean they're going to boom.

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
Baron Von Shark said:
Give us an analysis, Chief!

According to this article, one of the scouts knows Setoguchi's father (possible translation: scout + dad = friends). http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2005/07/30/sports/s163504D75.DTL

Here's part of our player profile from the "2005 Young Guns EDGe":
7. DEVIN SETOGUCHI WHL SASKATOON 1/1/87 5-11.5/186 RW/R - Setoguchi impressed a lot of people at the Top Prospects Game - yours truly included. His quickness and determination were on display for all to see, whether in the offensive zone or on the backcheck. In game situations, Setoguchi plays with his needle pinned on the redline. He is a veritable whirlwind on the ice. Although he is somewhat undersized in terms of feet and inches, there's no lack of hockey courage in Setoguchi. He gets to places bigger players don't. He is a force rushing the puck and taking it to the net. His skating can intimidate the opposition and backs up defenders. On the backcheck, he's got the ability catch up to players and pick their pockets...Setoguchi is also a potent hitter, utilizing excellent balance to explode into the opposition...At the recent U18's Setoguchi was one of the bright spots for the Silver Medal-winning Canadian squad scoring 4 goals and 2 assists for 6 points in 6 games and taking a team-high 29 shots. Simply put, Setoguchi is one of the most dynamic players available in the upcoming draft.

Baron Von Shark

Feb 21, 2003
CA
Visit site
Thanks, Chief. :clap:

I was mainly worried about his skating (heard some accounts that he was not on his feet), but the more I research, the more I read otherwise, which is great news.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad