Devin Setoguchi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
People seem to rave about Devin Setoguchi and view him as a first round pick. Why? Joe Barnes was Saskatoon's best player last year, and is above and by far a better prospect then Setoguchi. He's bigger, skates better, more creative offensively and doesn't shy away from physical contact. He's more of a complete package than Setoguchi. Anybody who has Setoguchi over Barnes is kidding themselves.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Draft Guru said:
People seem to rave about Devin Setoguchi and view him as a first round pick. Why? Joe Barnes was Saskatoon's best player last year, and is above and by far a better prospect then Setoguchi. He's bigger, skates better, more creative offensively and doesn't shy away from physical contact. He's more of a complete package than Setoguchi. Anybody who has Setoguchi over Barnes is kidding themselves.
Barnes is also older and could have been drafted last year, had he played better.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
timlap said:
Barnes is also older and could have been drafted last year, had he played better.
He didn't opt in last year. But I agree his age is a factor and Setoguchi shows a lot of potential.

The Joker*

I also agree from a Blades standpoint that Barnes is a much bigger physical player than Setoguchi and I would almost be ready to choose him before Setoguchi :S

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
timlap said:

Could have played better? He was coming back from a serious neck injury and it took time to regain his confidence and get back into the flow of things. It certainly didn't help that he played on perhaps the worst team in CHL history with a horrible coach. He came back from the injury perhaps too soon and went out there and played every night to show that he's a team player. Looking back, he would have been better off sitting out the year as it seems to stick in a lot of people's minds that he didn't produce.

Seachd said:
He didn't opt in last year. But I agree his age is a factor and Setoguchi shows a lot of potential.

His age is a factor? How is his age a factor? He's one year older then everybody else. Before the NCAA changed their rules, college players were also a year older when they were getting drafted. Was their age a factor? I don't think so.

Hedberg16 said:
Setoguchi will go way ahead of Barnes because the draft is based on potential, not current production.

LOL! You're telling me what the draft is based on? :biglaugh:

Of course it's based on potential. Nobody ever said it wasn't. What I said, and from what I've been told a number of scouts agree with me, was that Joe Barnes was Saskatoon's best player last year and is a more complete package than Setoguchi. And he has more potential. I've heard that numerous scouts/GMs went to Saskatoon to see Setoguchi play, only to come away amazed with Barnes and feeling he's the better prospect.

My point is, a lot of posters here like to believe all the hype and jump on the bandwagon of these prospects, without ever seeing them play. Joe Barnes had a bad year last year, for the right reasons, and opted out of the draft. That shouldn't be a knock on him. I just don't see the reason for all the hype surrounding Setoguchi. I really don't think this kid is going to be anything special at the next level. Joe Barnes is going to get drafted a lot higher than many of you expect. Teams are going to do their homework. This kid is 6'4 220 and he's a phenomenal athlete. Sure, he's a bit raw and lost a year of development, but another year of juniors and two years in the minors, and you'll have a second line center on your hands.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Draft Guru said:
His age is a factor? How is his age a factor? He's one year older then everybody else. Before the NCAA changed their rules, college players were also a year older when they were getting drafted. Was their age a factor? I don't think so.

Often players, unless they're standouts (ie. first rounders), get their age held against them in the draft. Not saying it's right or wrong. Teams are willing to go for more potential. So if that happens to Barnes, I won't be surprised.

Default101

i think Mike Green should be up there as their top player last year as well

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
Seachd said:
Often players, unless they're standouts (ie. first rounders), get their age held against them in the draft. Not saying it's right or wrong.

That's the case sometimes, not all the sure. Sure the age factor will hurt a guy like Danny Syvret, but Barnes is only a year older.

Teams are willing to go for more potential.

Obviously. And what I'm saying is that Barnes has more high-end potential than Setoguchi. Setoguchi the #10 NA ranked skater and Barnes #90? That's the biggest joke of the century. Just goes to show you how bad these rankings really are.

Last edited:

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
Ry-Dogg said:
i think Mike Green should be up there as their top player last year as well

Mike Green had a great season, as did Ryan Keller, who led the team in scoring. But whenever asked by scouts, head coach Lorne Molleken has said Joe Barnes was his best and his most consistent player night after night.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Draft Guru said:
Mike Green had a great season, as did Ryan Keller, who led the team in scoring. But whenever asked by scouts, head coach Lorne Molleken has said Joe Barnes was his best and his most consistent player night after night.

Would you say Barnes injury makes him a big risk? Is it something that could later affect his health and playing?

Also, how physical is he? At 6'3'' most people assume the player is a handful, but does Barnes play afraid?

faucette78

Jan 6, 2005
I noticed that CSB has Joe Barnes ranked 90th overall and Setogouchi at 10th. Any idea why there is a such a discrepancy between their list and yours?

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
From what I've been told, Barnes has made a full recovery from his injury and there's no lingering effects. He's not at risk of re-injuring himself again.

As for the Central Scouting rankings, I don't think any scout in the industry takes them seriously. They're made for the sole purpose of familiarizing the fans and teams with certain players. I've talked to scouts and GMs and they take those rankings with a grain of salt. If they see somebody ranked pretty high on CSB or someone who they have ranked that they haven't seen, they might send somebody to go see that player and see what the fuss is all about, but that's it.

Setoguchi 80 spots higher than Barnes is a joke. But Dalyn Flatt at 67 is an even bigger joke. That guy is useless and I highly doubt he'll be a marginal player in the minors. He's not even tough, he loses every fight he's in.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Draft Guru said:
Could have played better? He was coming back from a serious neck injury and it took time to regain his confidence and get back into the flow of things. It certainly didn't help that he played on perhaps the worst team in CHL history with a horrible coach. He came back from the injury perhaps too soon and went out there and played every night to show that he's a team player. Looking back, he would have been better off sitting out the year as it seems to stick in a lot of people's minds that he didn't produce.
. . .
No doubt there were reasons why he didn't play better. But my main point is that it's misleading to compare Setoguchi and Barnes without considering the age difference. Barnes, fwiw, looks like an interesting prospect to me, but you know a lot more about him than I do.

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
The whole point of this thread was not to hype up Joe Barnes. I was just looking for some info on why, for those who have seen both play, people think of Setoguchi as the better prospect? Just a discussion, that's all. I've shared my views and I'd like to see some others.

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
Draft Guru said:

Let me guess you are also aware that barnes has been flown to new york this week, as the rangers are interested in him. joes a pretty good player. i don't care for setoguchi much myself. he plays hard he just cant bury the biscuit.

theres a reason why joe isnt ranked higher as well, there are a lot of guys better than him, thus his ranking. plain and simple. is he a good player, yes. will he be good in the nhl. could be.

Zetterberg4Captain*

Draft Guru said:
From what I've been told, Barnes has made a full recovery from his injury and there's no lingering effects. He's not at risk of re-injuring himself again.

As for the Central Scouting rankings, I don't think any scout in the industry takes them seriously. They're made for the sole purpose of familiarizing the fans and teams with certain players. I've talked to scouts and GMs and they take those rankings with a grain of salt. If they see somebody ranked pretty high on CSB or someone who they have ranked that they haven't seen, they might send somebody to go see that player and see what the fuss is all about, but that's it.

Setoguchi 80 spots higher than Barnes is a joke. But Dalyn Flatt at 67 is an even bigger joke. That guy is useless and I highly doubt he'll be a marginal player in the minors. He's not even tough, he loses every fight he's in.

Wow im surprised you know that he loses every one of his fights considering you live in NY. I actually watch the Blades and Flatt does not lose every fight he is in. Dont even kid yourself.

turnbuckle*

Interesting to hear your comments DG. I wasn't overly impressed by Setoguchi at the Under 18s, and when I spoke to a scout about him he just shrugged his shoulders...he wasn't someone he was considering as a possible first round pick. This draft promises to be a crapshoot after the first dozen picks or so I'd say.

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
daynus said:
Let me guess you are also aware that barnes has been flown to new york this week, as the rangers are interested in him. joes a pretty good player. i don't care for setoguchi much myself. he plays hard he just cant bury the biscuit.

theres a reason why joe isnt ranked higher as well, there are a lot of guys better than him, thus his ranking. plain and simple. is he a good player, yes. will he be good in the nhl. could be.

Yes, I am quite aware about Barnes being flown into New York. The Rangers have quite a few prospects coming. I know for sure Steve Downie is also one of them. I'll hear about the others and what they did probably Thursday.

I don't care about CSB's list. When have they ever been right? Their rankings are more of a compilation of all the top prospects, nobody in the NHL takes their rankings seriously.

I'm not saying there's not a lot of players better than Barnes. All I'm saying is he's definitely worthy of a 2nd round pick, and that he's better than Setoguchi. And I know first-hand of at least 5 teams that feel that way too and have Barnes rated higher. Teams have went to see Setoguchi play, only to come away more amazed with Barnes.

Last edited:

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
AG said:
Wow im surprised you know that he loses every one of his fights considering you live in NY. I actually watch the Blades and Flatt does not lose every fight he is in. Dont even kid yourself.

Oh please. Let's not start a credibility debate here, you'll lose that one quickly. Flatt is useless, he'll never be an NHLer. And if he will, which is slim because he can't skate and can't fight, he won't be anything more than a 7th defenseman/minor-league call up.

You actually watch the Blades? Did you watch their playoff series against Prince Albert? The Raiders ran around hitting everything and everyone in sight, and where was big bad Flatt to do anything about it? Nowhere. Lorne Molleken was absolutely furious with Flatt and some others on the team that they didn't stick up for their teammates and fight. There's strong indications that Flatt won't be back with Saskatoon next season for that very reason.

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
turnbuckle said:
Interesting to hear your comments DG. I wasn't overly impressed by Setoguchi at the Under 18s, and when I spoke to a scout about him he just shrugged his shoulders...he wasn't someone he was considering as a possible first round pick. This draft promises to be a crapshoot after the first dozen picks or so I'd say.

Setoguchi's a decent player, but I just don't think he projects as a scorer at the next level. He actually reminds me a lot of Duncan Milroy. Their paths also seem eerily similar. During Milroy's draft year, people thought he was a top 10 pick. And as the draft got closer his stock began to fall until he was a mid-to-late first rounder, and then the draft came and he went in the early second. And now he's struggled in the minors. The same thing has happened with Setoguchi. I heard a lot of people on these boards talking him up as a top 10 pick earlier this year. Now, I can definitely see Setoguchi dropping out of the first round, especially in this draft.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
Draft Guru said:
Setoguchi's a decent player, but I just don't think he projects as a scorer at the next level. He actually reminds me a lot of Duncan Milroy. Their paths also seem eerily similar. During Milroy's draft year, people thought he was a top 10 pick. And as the draft got closer his stock began to fall until he was a mid-to-late first rounder, and then the draft came and he went in the early second. And now he's struggled in the minors. The same thing has happened with Setoguchi. I heard a lot of people on these boards talking him up as a top 10 pick earlier this year. Now, I can definitely see Setoguchi dropping out of the first round, especially in this draft.

According to his agent, if the draft wouldn't have been held this year, he could have easily fallen to the 4th or 5th round next year.

shveik

Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
Draft Guru said:

You seem to take this a bit too seriously (personally?), Who knows why the CSB has Setoguchi higher? Who cares? Myself, not seeing either of them play, I'd have picked Setoguchi based on what you said yourself. To me he sounds like a guy who can't put it together, maybe due to pressure, and still manages to score 30 goals. He may or may not progress from here, but he is a more interesting prospect of the two IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->