Post-Game Talk: Devils win! NJ 4 - Seattle 2

Devils 3 stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Yeah, I don't understand shitting on Geristwhattawhat because he was put into the line up. What's he supposed to do, say "Aww shucks. I'll pass, put in someone else."?

It was his first NHL game, and kudos to him for it. From what little I saw, he seems quite well liked by the team. Watch the fight again, you can see Whitey and a few others loving it on the bench.

His limited TOI wasn't terrible in terms of on-ice performance. Played with energy, didn't hinder the team in anyway other than us being down to 10F at one point.
I don’t think they’re shitting on him for what he did or how he played. I think they’re shitting on the fact that he did play(barely) and took up a spot in the lineup.

Reactions: Hisch13r

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Geersten is not a deterrent. Other teams do not care. That was also a clean hit. Other teams aren’t just gonna stop hitting Jack because of Geersten.
Ya 2 good points here.

1)Hit was clean

&

2)Geersten isn't all that tough.

That said, while I don't much want Geersten in the lineup, I do like when someone responds to a big hit.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It’s not just a deterrence issue though. It’s a confidence and team building issue for the players. The reality is the stupid unwritten rules of the game demand a fight sometimes and somebody has to answer the bell. Now obviously a guy who can fight and play is preferable. Bastian was good enough to be a RW4 and fight a bit. Geersten less so but better he fights than McLeod or Wood.

I’d like fighting removed from the game. I’d also like to see the league police the cheap shots and thugs. I doubt either happens in my lifetime.

Sadly that's really the best argument for a goon, it gives the players the emotional version of empty calories to fill up on as long as 'the culture' is what it is. Just like baseball players need pitchers to answer for guys getting hit or pitched in tight.

Of course there it winds up being pitcher throwing at hitter instead of the other pitcher, while with goons it usually winds up being goon on goon crime.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
12993219.jpg

Day to day

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Regarding the Doom and Gloom by some on Sharangovich.

Its 2 games.

He was our best forward in camp.

Relax.
I agree with this but at the same time I think he’s pretty overhyped by a lot of devils fans. I also don’t think he was our best forward in camp.

Reactions: Hisch13r

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I mean PK couldn't hit the damn plexiglass with his slapshot right now and his unnecessary desperation dive probably cost us the first goal. He was bad, and only looked marginally better when he stopped trying the slapshot and threw weak wristers on net because his slapshot wasn't landing in the same area code of the goalie.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I agree with this but at the same time I think he’s pretty overhyped by a lot of devils fans. I also don’t think he was our best forward in camp.
What do you mean by overhyped? Most people here think he's a 25 goal guy from what I've read, which from what we've seen is a pretty accurate potential, no?

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
What do you mean by overhyped? Most people her think he's a 25 goal guy, which from what we've seen is a pretty accurate potential, no?
Yeah I think 20-25 goal guy is reasonable. I think there’s others that think he’s gonna do more than that and be some elite first liner though. To me he seems like a middle-6 20 goal 40 point player. Maybe with Jack he gets more. Without him he might be a bit below that.

Reactions: Devs3cups

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Yeah I think 20-25 goal guy is reasonable. I think there’s others that think he’s gonna do more than that and be some elite first liner though.
The most I've read here is 25-30, which I think is pretty fair for Yegor. I agree he's not some elite 1st line guy though, but he'll be a good scorer, especially if he keeps on playing with Jack.

Reactions: DevilsfanfromCanada

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yeah Nico's game was better than I probably gave him credit for since he didn't wind up on the scoreboard (by a half a second) mostly cause he did good on the PK and defensive zone work in the third period.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
A measurement I use to determine how well a team is playing is Face Off Wins. Game 1 48.2% and Game 2 48.7%, not very good. Tonight they get a break, Hughes was out of the game but in Game 1 Hughes only had 4/11 so it is a team problem that needs to get fixed.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
A measurement I use to determine how well a team is playing is Face Off Wins. Game 1 48.2% and Game 2 48.7%, not very good. Tonight they get a break, Hughes was out of the game but in Game 1 Hughes only had 4/11 so it is a team problem that needs to get fixed.

They’ve been bottom 5 the last 2 years in it, it’s been a problem for a while now. It’s also one of the reasons why our penalty kill is so shit because teams are able to set up on effortlessly after winning draws.

Reactions: Maine Fan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad