Status
Not open for further replies.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
kPIU4Fn.jpg

We are in a pandemic... where's his mask!?

Reactions: glenwo2

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Special teams need some big time improvement. PK especially. Way too passive until there is a loose puck IMO. Stay out of the damn box too anyhow.

Agreed on the PK. I don’t know how the team didn’t make an in-game adjustment. The Rangers are too skilled to give them that much space and time.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I’m laughing my ass off imagining how many goals Cory would’ve given up in this game
He would have allowed only 2. His hip is healed now. It takes 2 years to heal and it’s been over 2.5 since the surgery.

But seriously. The Rangers probably wouldn’t have gotten to 50 shots cause they would have taken us out of the game long before that and stopped attacking.

I wonder if the Islanders start him against us on Thursday or Sunday? Probably not.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
I know the big focus here will be the 50 shots against and the 8,567 penalties against, but I still felt like the Devils' play 5-on-5 was solid; outside of the power play, the Rangers didn't start generating many quality scoring chances until after halfway through the third, which I can see happening as a young team learns to play late with a lead against tough offenses.

Otherwise, it was all about the special teams, because the refs were calling anything against the Devils they could throw at them. Even then, the two goals the Rags did get on the PP were pretty fluky; I won't say it was because the Devils were rock solid on the kill or anything, there's still work to be done there, but they didn't look bad against a top-level power play that they were forced to face way, way too many times, and that's a legitimately positive takeaway from this game.

Again, though, Mac was key to making sure that PK had a prayer. His positioning and lateral movement are so, so good.

Basically, in spite of the shot numbers, I still felt like the Devils were the better team tonight for the majority of the game. Rags took over near the end, but otherwise it felt like Devils were in control, and that's with them having a goal taken away over the ridiculous offside rule.

5-on-5 shot attempts were 53-44 Rangers. Not good, but manageable given they led the entire game. One would expect improvement when Nico could come back as Zacha is horrendous.

Reactions: HBK27 and My3Sons

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
He would have allowed only 2. His hip is healed now. It takes 2 years to heal and it’s been over 2.5 since the surgery.

But seriously. The Rangers probably wouldn’t have gotten to 50 shots cause they would have taken us out of the game long before that and stopped attacking.

I wonder if the Islanders start him against us on Thursday or Sunday? Probably not.

Since the Isles have no other games this week I assume they'll just start Sorokin in both unless he stinks it up Thursday or Varlamov is back by then.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Since the Isles have no other games this week I assume they'll just start Sorokin in both unless he stinks it up Thursday or Varlamov is back by then.
Varlamov played yesterday and has two shutouts in two starts, so it’ll probably be him. At least on Thursday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad