GDT: Devils vs. Penguins - 7:00 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
it depends on the choices offered though, if the Devils and the Bruins or the Caps etc offer a UFA D-man the same thing we do, where would you sign? Maybe we add some $ to sweeten the pot? its not always about money
The Capitals aren’t signing any UFA defensemen, they have a full lineup. And that’s true of most contenders. Most teams really. The defensemen market didn’t collapse last off-season like the winger market did but most teams will have enough trouble paying their RFAs. The bigger issue is keying in on who’s worth signing. Usually there’s not a ton of great players out there but we can replace Kulikov or whatever.

Reactions: TheDuke93

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
I'll tell you what, If i'm GM, I'm not relying on the waiver wire to improve our situation. Crawford retired before the season started, Fitz should've looked to work a deal immediately

Yep. Also obviously I hope Blackwood recovers from this bad stretch by next season... But if our luck runs out and if what good we saw were more abberations to the norm of Macks game, then gm better be on the ball to get a stable guy to stop puck as priority...

This situation can be a huge breaker...

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
This is a goaltending crisis though, I mean there’s a huge dangerous chemical fire and it’s called goaltending. Ruff and Fitz need to figure out something. Sal knows what’s up. (Or on fire.)
For sure goaltending is a problem but it's a wayyyyy worse one now with this defense. I wouldn't be confident with Mac back there. Getting PK and Smith back and Tennyson and Carrick out will help but the seasons toast. We can't solve any of these problems now, we're back to finding a goalie and fleshing out the defense again in the offseason.

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
For sure goaltending is a problem but it's a wayyyyy worse one now with this defense. I wouldn't be confident with Mac back there. Getting PK and Smith back and Tennyson and Carrick out will help but the seasons toast. We can't solve any of these problems now, we're back to finding a goalie and fleshing out the defense again in the offseason.
I will say I am very confident that we rebuilt to forward core. Granted some of the guys can bust but I think it will work out. I would 100% move Zacha and the Islander's first if there is a legitimate top 4 RD available that makes sense.

Reactions: JK3

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Eh, what team is trading a goalie at that point?
And remember that teams need to keep three goalies on their roster/taxi squad at all times. I think Fitz could have signed a better AHL goalie than Jeremy “can I have a job Dad?” Brodeur but the third goalie market was tough. Did the Caps grab Craig Anderson after Crawford retired? I think they did because believe he was a name thrown around for us. That was what was left by then.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
I will say the first goal wasn't a bad start, Zacha is rusty and was soft on the puck, Sid gets it Dell just has to make a save. Yes that is a f*** up but I wouldn't put that on starting slow as a group, maybe it is idk I wouldn't.
We gave up one 40 seconds in but at least we made it to the second this time before the collapse haha.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Its really not though. Guys are hurt. It happens.

Pucks are going in from the damn red line. You literally can't win games like that no matter what happens elsewhere on the ice.

That’s where you are wrong. If aliens abduct the other team and probe them the rest of the game so they can’t play at all there is a better than even chance that NJ will put more pucks into the empty net than they accidentally put into their own.

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
We gave up one 40 seconds in but at least we made it to the second this time before the collapse haha.
No what I mean is, that goal was on Zacha and Dell. He could have easily gotten that puck out but he tried skating and lost it. Dell then has a seeing eye wrist shot from outside the left dot and gets beat top titty. You just can't let that go in. It count's technically but I attribute that to rust and Dell being dog f***.

Reactions: JK3

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
The Capitals aren’t signing any UFA defensemen, they have a full lineup. And that’s true of most contenders. Most teams really. The defensemen market didn’t collapse last off-season like the winger market did but most teams will have enough trouble paying their RFAs. The bigger issue is keying in on who’s worth signing. Usually there’s not a ton of great players out there but we can replace Kulikov or whatever.
like usual you over analyzed a post, forget the Caps and insert (playoff team) there.
and see the bolded/underlined
its slim pickens from our perspective and the free agents perspective
I don't see us getting much

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
like usual you over analyzed a post, forget the Caps and insert (playoff team) there.
and see the bolded/underlined
its slim pickens from our perspective and the free agents perspective
I don't see us getting much
That’s why the next sentence said “and that’s true of most contenders” after discussing the Caps.. (I guess I forgot the “too” to make it clear they were an example of what is true of a number of other teams).

And, yeah, I agree with the bolded part of what I wrote too. Fitz found a useful player like Kulikov before and he can do it again. It’s not a bold claim, I’m not saying we’re signing Dougie Hamilton.

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
Yeah Dell was awful, one of the worst goalies I’ve seen in a Devils jersey in a while if not ever. BUT if you only score 1 goal, you can’t really blame the goalie for the loss. Pittsburgh is just so much better team right now. They don’t really even need Crosby and Malkin to dominate us.

Siege is a shutdown dman so you don’t really notice him until he makes a mistake (there were couple this game). Would love see some stats for Devils dmen the last 6 games if anyone can find them, to see how he compares to the others. TOI, +-, CF%, xGA etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad