GDT: Devils vs. Penguins - 7:00 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
If you are bleeding softies before the end of the 2nd period. I am not going to blame the rest of the team for sagging and not scoring 5 goals all of a sudden.

I thought the never giving up thing was our thing, the one positive that media and fans of other teams congratulated us for. So now we're just f*** it what's the point?
I think the team knew they could score 6 goals, and Pittsburgh also knew they could do it, thus played hard the entire game this time.

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
That’s why the next sentence said “and that’s true of most contenders” after discussing the Caps.. (I guess I forgot the “too” to make it clear they were an example of what is true of a number of other teams).

And, yeah, I agree with the bolded part of what I wrote too. Fitz found a useful player like Kulikov before and he can do it again. It’s not a bold claim, I’m not saying we’re signing Dougie Hamilton.
this team needs a guy(s) like Dougie

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
well we’ve played the last week with a 60% ahl roster including goaltending so it’s not surprising we’re this bad but it’s a pretty aggressive tank that came on all of the sudden

Reactions: TheDuke93

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Absolutely f***ing infuriating that this team comes out and gives up a goal like 41 seconds into the game after they have played the last bunch of first periods like complete dog shit. I'm not expecting wins but can we at least make it 10 mins into the first period without giving up a f***ing goal ffs

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Absolutely f***ing infuriating that this team comes out and gives up a goal like 41 seconds into the game after they have played the last bunch of first periods like complete dog shit. I'm not expecting wins but can we at least make it 10 mins into the first period without giving up a f***ing goal ffs
I agree with you, but that first goal was almost completely on Dell. That’s a puck that should just hit the goalie and it goes in.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
meme.png

Seeing who this triggers. :laugh:

RNCDevil

Jun 21, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Defensemen need to learn the system and develop chemistry with their partner. It hasn't been pretty so far but I'm not grading him until he gets a full camp.

But I see him making bas skill plays; bad passes, panicky turnovers, low-strength turnovers. Skating seems pretty good. Are you saying a lack of integration (which I'm sure is true) contributes to some of the bad, basic plays, too? Man I hope he turns it around.

Reactions: JK3

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
he definitely looks worse than “adapting to a new system.” looks like a grenade handler that doesn’t really hit nearly as often or hard as you want with someone with that size and little puck moving skill

NJ07102

Apr 15, 2012
Germany
Dell's body language says to me that he couldn't care less. But I may be wrong and that is just the way he always looks. In any event, our goaltending is atrocious and has been for years and I don't see anybody in the system that could change that any time soon.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I agree with you, but that first goal was almost completely on Dell. That’s a puck that should just hit the goalie and it goes in.
I feel kind of bad grousing so much about Wedgewood looking bad and giving up one bad softy against the Pens after watching Dell crap his pants while giving up several bad goals in his start.

Sal and the crew didn’t break out the Senn footage for shits and giggles, the goaltending was a grease fire on your face-bad and having this game follow Tuesday looked dispiriting in a new way for the players. Dell sort of settled down after the first goal against on Tuesday and the comeback made everyone feel better. The Pens are better defensively than the Rangers and went in lockdown more and the goaltending was way grosser. I’m pretty curious about what they do next here.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
View attachment 425457

Seeing who this triggers. :laugh:
But they had to buy him out though, right? The plan was a UFA goalie and Schneider has to be bought out for that.

It’s not triggering really. I wouldn’t even argue Dell and Wedgewood are particularly better than Schneider (except Wedgwood’s start to the season was better than Cory’s first few starting months since 2017-18) but this random flotsam and jetsam weren’t the off-season plan. Cory did win a few games at the end in the last two seasons, I will give him that (he just didn’t do at all before the New Year which was a problem.)

Cory got two starts in Bridgeport (0-1-1, 3.94, .843). In his defense, it is only two games and with the limited scheduling not very good Bridgeport team spends days it’s alternating between losing to Providence and Hartford.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Pre injury Cory takes this team to the playoffs
No, definitely not the current one. Maybe the one from a few weeks ago without the covid thing.
I’m not sure about that. While this team has some better players than that one for sure, we still score almost as sparsely as the 15-16 team.

If anything, we would have been in the race much longer and really might have questioned the trade offs of Palmieri, Zajac and Kulikov at the deadline.

It probably would have also changed the Palmieri/Zajac trade dramatically, as they were traded several days before the deadline and we even started scratching Palmieri for precautionary reasons over a week before the actual deadline. With the 15-16 Cory in nets for us, we’re likely not nearly as bad off that we’re scratching Palmieri an entire 8 days before the trade deadline or trading him and Zajac 5 days before the deadline.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Under absolutely no circumstances should the Devils take a goalie with their 1st. Any goalie they take is at least 2-3 years away from the NHL and won't help them at all in the meantime. We could have taken Askarov at #7 last year and didn't.

It sucks watching the team get shelled - BUT, and I cannot stress this enough, every game from now until the end of the season is meaningless. Wedgewood and Dell don't matter, neither will be here in a month.

Blackwood is a fine young starting goalie who has had consistency issues, which happens when you're 24. A lot of his bad play has overlapped with injuries and illness. We will get a competent backup through free agency, hopefully this time they won't retire during training camp.

Also, the more straight line answer is that with us almost certainly picking in the top-5 there's absolutely no way Wallstadt is the BPA at our position.

Last edited:

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Yeah, that would be really cool, playing all the way through training camp and then even the season itself. That would whip ass. Never thought that would be something I'd need to hope for, but here we are.
The best ability at this point is availability....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00