GDT: Devils vs Penguins 7:00 PM MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Lurker from and outsider here:

6 points back after the wings likely win tonight.

Plus down 2 games in hand.

Going to be hard.

Detroit doesn't have any games in hand atm, it's the Flyers who are four points up and between us/the Wings who currently have two games in hand though one's coming off the board tonight.

I mean tomorrow's gonna be tough on paper even though the Caps have nothing to play for other than Holtby's record chase but if in some utopia we actually get two points tomorrow and Detroit loses in regulation Saturday (and the Flyers actually lose a game or two by then) then you can get a little nuts. We haven't been within five points since the mid-Feburary meltdown so getting to four with no games in hand for anyone would be a step up.

The Flyers concern me more than the Wings though atm, they'd better lose tonight. I don't see them losing at Arizona or against Winnipeg/Ottawa at home. That's four of their next five not counting the Caps at home.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Do you all realize just how close we were tonight to seeing a Ruutu goal?

He deflected it off a Pitts player which them hit the post.

Prob as close as he will come to scoring for the remainder of his fading career.

Fleury also made a shaky save on him very early in the game.

It almost looked like he was thinking ''Maybe I should let this one in and help this guy out, but I already gave up a freebie goal that I didn't even mean to allow''.:laugh:

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Go

:devils

and

nova-lg.png

:yo::yo::yo:

I Hate Tie DOMI

Jul 2, 2002
Ontario
Detroit doesn't have any games in hand atm, it's the Flyers who are four points up and between us/the Wings who currently have two games in hand though one's coming off the board tonight.

I mean tomorrow's gonna be tough on paper even though the Caps have nothing to play for other than Holtby's record chase but if in some utopia we actually get two points tomorrow and Detroit loses in regulation Saturday (and the Flyers actually lose a game or two by then) then you can get a little nuts. We haven't been within five points since the mid-Feburary meltdown so getting to four with no games in hand for anyone would be a step up.

The Flyers concern me more than the Wings though atm, they'd better lose tonight. I don't see them losing at Arizona or against Winnipeg/Ottawa at home. That's four of their next five not counting the Caps at home.

Boston might be the team to catch not Detroit.

They've lost 6 of their last 7.

Currently 7 points up, but NJ has a game in hand and they play each other next Tuesday.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Boston might be the team to catch not Detroit.

They've lost 6 of their last 7.

Currently 7 points up, but NJ has a game in hand and they play each other next Tuesday.

But even if you catch Boston AND/or Detroit you still have to pass the Flyers...they're six points up with a game in hand. And they're still red-hot even after blowing a point at CBJ.

Like I said in the other thread, one of Boston/Detroit has to get in the third automatic division spot anyway. You have to finish at least fifth in the Metro to get a playoff spot and currently five division teams including the Flyers are above us.

I Hate Tie DOMI

Jul 2, 2002
Ontario
But even if you catch Boston AND/or Detroit you still have to pass the Flyers...they're six points up with a game in hand. And they're still red-hot even after blowing a point at CBJ.

Like I said in the other thread, one of Boston/Detroit has to get in the third division spot anyway. You have to finish at least fifth in the Metro to get a playoff spot and currently five division teams including the Flyers are above us.

Yeah I know. I just try to forget about the Flyers. :laugh:

If you catch Boston AND Detroit you are in the playoffs. Doesn't matter about the Flyers in that circumstance.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
btw wasn't Bob Murray's quote about Palmeri that they traded him cause he (Murray) was afraid Palmeri would score 30 goals this year and they wouldn't be able to afford him? Well he's one shy of that now :laugh:

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

We've also got the dreaded late season Florida trip coming up yet.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
We've also got the dreaded late season Florida trip coming up yet.

Oh boy the Bleed special :laugh:

I don't actually think history repeats itself though...I don't feel this team would go down to Florida to die again like the last few. Either they'll be out of it by then or they'll stay alive through it.

I Hate Tie DOMI

Jul 2, 2002
Ontario
btw wasn't Bob Murray's quote about Palmeri that they traded him cause he (Murray) was afraid Palmeri would score 30 goals this year and they wouldn't be able to afford him? Well he's one shy of that now :laugh:

Luckily, the Devils don't have that problem. Give him all of Ruutu's & Elias's money next year if wants it. :)

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Like I said in the other thread, one of Boston/Detroit has to get in the third automatic division spot anyway. You have to finish at least fifth in the Metro to get a playoff spot and currently five division teams including the Flyers are above us.

That assuming the isles have actually righted their ship.

Passing the flyers isn't impossible. They don't have a cake schedule and their defense plus Mason isn't something to bet on.

If we win our games it can be done. We just have to keep wInning which is the problem.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey

He thought Palmieri would score 20 goals, and he wouldn't be able to afford him. I'm pretty sure they know the move was a mistake by now, he's exceeded their expectations.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

I don't actually think history repeats itself though...I don't feel this team would go down to Florida to die again like the last few. Either they'll be out of it by then or they'll stay alive through it.

This team has spunk.

I wish we had an extended period with both Boosh and Blender up with a healthy Camm and Cory.

I honestly think they could of done a little damage.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
That assuming the isles have actually righted their ship.

Passing the flyers isn't impossible. They don't have a cake schedule and their defense plus Mason isn't something to bet on.

If we win our games it can be done. We just have to keep wInning which is the problem.

Well the Isles might blow a playoff spot but it would take a 2007 Mets like collapse for us to pass them, we're eight points back and they've got two games in hand so I'm not even counting them in the teams we could/need to pass category.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Yeah I know. I just try to forget about the Flyers. :laugh:

If you catch Boston AND Detroit you are in the playoffs. Doesn't matter about the Flyers in that circumstance.

This isn't true. One of Boston or Detroit has to take the third spot in the division, so catching both is irrelevant. The Devils would have to catch the Flyers, there's no way around it.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
This isn't true. One of Boston or Detroit has to take the third spot in the division, so catching both is irrelevant. The Devils would have to catch the Flyers, there's no way around it.

Yeah only five teams can make the playoffs from one division. It WOULD be just our luck if we were somehow better than Boston/Detroit and didn't make it cause we were sixth in the Metro though, I think we'd be the first team in the top eight to miss the playoffs under the new system if that happened :laugh:

It's probably moot cause I doubt it plays out that way, but theoretically it's possible for the 6th place team in one division to be better than the third place team in another and still miss the playoffs cause the third place team gets one of the three automatic division berths and 4/5 in the one division gets both wild-cards.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

You just know I can't wait! If we get shutout by lard ass and blow a 100 goal lead to the Panthers!:rant:

I wish Boucher was called up a few weeks earlier, instead of wasting our time with Paul Thompson and Sislo in a top 6/9 role.

I'm okay with Sislo up now, just hated how those guys were brought up before Boucher. Though I didn't really want Boucher at any point before Christmas time or so.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
We are 5-2-0 in our last 7 since we last lost to Pitt.

That meltdown really hurts right now. If we just got a few more points during that period we would be really in the thick of the race and not need to win out to get in.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

That meltdown really hurts right now. If we just got a few more points during that period we would be really in the thick of the race and not need to win out to get in.

If we had a .500 record against Columbus and Toronto we'd probably be in the playoffs.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

The no-show to the Jackets, as well as earlier no-show's to the Jackets are really making it harder to swallow.

That and the ability to not be able to beat the tanking Leafs before a shootout either time.:rant::rant::rant::rant:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If we had a .500 record against Columbus and Toronto we'd probably be in the playoffs.

I still believe if we had won the season series against Columbus in 2013-2014, we get into the playoffs and they're still sitting here today with just one playoff berth and ZERO playoff games won in franchise history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad