GDT: Devils vs. Panthers - 7:30PM MSG+2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We always lose to backups lol

And coach Don Rickles plays his backups against us more times than not, because he sees we can't beat them.

I remember reading Luongo was gonna start, then I saw Reimer lead the team out for warm ups and was like ''Of course, Rickles always plays his backups against us''

It almost seems like they're trying to phase Luongo out now, which is odd to me. Probably only because he was born in the 70's and he is now the last active NHL goaltender to be born in the 70's.

But they should have waited to phase him out after they found a guy that was better than him. Reimer is certainly not better than him and I don't think he will be, provided Luongo doesn't heavily decline this year or next. Reimer was beyond overrated on the Sharks board last year. There were a couple people that wanted them to trade for Reimer in the first place, instead of trading a first round pick for Jones. He played an awesome stretch for the Sharks, but it was merely a hot streak. He was hot all of last season, even with the Leafs. It was one of his better seasons in his career, but he fluctuates greatly from year to year. He's prone to solid years and prone to really good one's. I think he's a pretty good backup/decent 1b goalie at the very best.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
I thought the Devils played a great overall game. Honestly I thought it was one of the best 60 minute efforts they had all season :dunno:

I agree. I'm strangely not even upset about losing. Only game we've lost I've watched the highlights of.

We're just cursed in South Florida. Too many tough breaks. I thought we outplayed them most of the game, especially 5 on 5.

VoidCreature

Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Some more thoughts after a night's sleep:

1) Happy Zacha scored. Hope it's the first of many.

2) Cammy, Palmieri, and Rico all need to step up more than they have if this team is going to be successful. This is not a negative comment because I do believe that they can be better than they've shown so far this season, but they need to do it. Not being a chicken little; just trying to be realistic about our team's fortunes of three of our top forwards from last year continue to struggle.

3) Even in a loss, I think Hall showed how he could be a game changer for us. Encouraging to hear that Orr thinks he has been so happy here. Hopefully it stays that way.

4) Really pleased with Severson's play and glad I defended him when that wasn't necessarily the popular course of action. This is the kind of player I hoped he could be, and it's nice to see my faith rewarded.

5) At least the team managed to get a point in a game that was definitely not their best. Hope to see better results and effort next game.

I though Sevs might break out this year, but he's been even better than I expected. He could be a top offensive D man in this league, and his D is improving as well.

He has #1 potential for sure. :)

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I though Sevs might break out this year, but he's been even better than I expected. He could be a top offensive D man in this league, and his D is improving as well.

He has #1 potential for sure. :)

Like you, I had a feeling Sevs was going to have a breakout year (and I am really hoping this is what we are seeing) and I'm not going to claim that I foresaw this (more that I hoped for it, and saw potential in Severson). It is really nice to see him rewarding my faith, though. I don't want to sound like I'm gloating, just that I'm happy and I hope others can be too at least about this.

Hellraiser

Jun 12, 2015
New Jersey
Severson just needed a stable partner who could cover his ass if he made a mistake not Moore or Merrill. I never doubted that he would succeed with Greene and continue to turn into the defenseman we hoped he would be

VoidCreature

Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Severson just needed a stable partner who could cover his ass if he made a mistake not Moore or Merrill. I never doubted that he would succeed with Greene and continue to turn into the defenseman we hoped he would be

His confidence is growing game by game, just like Larsson's did when he played with Greene.

We suddenly have a pretty good young core. Amazing considering where we were two years ago.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I'm extremely pleased with Severson's play. This is the level I wanted him to be playing at, and it's great to see him translate that great play into tangible results.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
His confidence is growing game by game, just like Larsson's did when he played with Greene.

We suddenly have a pretty good young core. Amazing considering where we were two years ago.

I do think there is some truth to him overthinking his game last year, and it weighing him down somewhat.

He seems a lot more relaxed this year. He is playing loose and with confidence and the results are coming excellent.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Scoring was not the issue here.

3 goals absolutely should be enough, and on most nights it will be.

The major issue isn't still penalties. We are going to the box to much and it really cost us here.

We also played way to loose in the defensive zone in the third for my liking. It is somewhat enouraging to see some track meet hockey and see we could keep up, but i much prefer to not play that way.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Scoring was not the issue here.

3 goals absolutely should be enough, and on most nights it will be.

The major issue isn't still penalties. We are going to the box to much and it really cost us here.

We also played way to loose in the defensive zone in the third for my liking. It is somewhat enouraging to see some track meet hockey and see we could keep up, but i much prefer to not play that way.

That was likely more of a coaching change -- or risk if you want to see it that way.

Florida was doing an incredible job of clogging us up as we were leaving our defensive zone and going through the neutral zone. We weren't getting controlled breakouts through much of the game. The staff likely decided to risk opening the game up a bit so we could put some goals on the board.

Last edited:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
That was likely more of a coaching change -- or risk if you want to see it that way.

Florida was doing an incredible job of clogging us up as we were leaving our defensive zone and going through the neutral zone. We were getting very controlled breakouts through much of the game. The staff likely decided to risk opening the game up a bit so we could put some goals on the board.

Probably true, and we did tie it and force OT in the end.

Penalties and the line juggling are still my two biggest issues. Need to pick some lines and stick to them.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I don't think I've seen this huge jump from Sev's. I thought he was pretty good last year, and he has looked even better this year, but I don't see some completely different player. I think playing with Greene as opposed to whichever lousy linemate he was with last year, along with a better fwd core is the biggest difference in his "jump" in play.

I thought he was unduly in the dog house last season. I don't know if there was some sort of plan in trying to get Sev's to play a certain way, but both in sitting in the press box as well as never playing with Greene in a lost season, I didn't think he was handled very well at all.

Similarly this season, when Hynes said he's not seeing the same mistakes as he did last season, I scratch my head cause I think we've seen a bunch of bone headed plays with the puck in the early going, maybe even more so then last year. And it makes me wonder if they were not trying to purposely be overly tough on Sev's last year, where as this year it is all about instilling him with confidence and letting him do more with the puck.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I agree on the Quincey signing.

Call up Helgeson, try and pick up Warsofsky on waivers again, they should be playing over Quincey!

But seriously though, I'm surprised we haven't seen Helgeson. Especially with the same 6 D men playing every night and the number 7 being a permanent scratch. Maybe they like Helgeson about as much as I do?

I would have been okay with him up, as long as he played the same exact number of games than Santini and Mozik have played combined.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad