Philadelphia, PA
I still cannot believe this happened:

n6FiJbh.jpg

SKocQAN.jpg

courtesy of Streamable from https://www.reddit.com/user/dyermakn

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Sometimes in scenarios where a player misses a gimme goal, his teammates may start celebrating prematurely. That was not the case there, it's like they knew Josefson would miss it :sarcasm:

Unfortunate for JJ but there was a replay of it that showed the puck was really bobbling on the ice, it wasn't as easy a tap-in as it looked like from the overhead.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Sometimes in scenarios where a player misses a gimme goal, his teammates may start celebrating prematurely. That was not the case there, it's like they knew Josefson would miss it :sarcasm:

Unfortunate for JJ but there was a replay of it that showed the puck was really bobbling on the ice, it wasn't as easy a tap-in as it looked like from the overhead.

This is exactly why I hardly ever criticize a player for mistakes like that.

If you've ever simply played with a puck, you can realize how unpredictable it can be at times. Sure goals can bounce over your stick before you even realize what happens.

It's unfortunate, but it's the reality of the game, not that he shouldn't have scored though.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Thing with JJ is that stuff like that seems to happen to him disproportionately often compared to other players. After a certain point, it's either that he's insanely unlucky or that he is in fact doing something wrong to botch all these opportunities. JJ does some useful things for the team but he is definitely perennially unable to produce offensively. No point in coming up with excuses for him on individual plays when it's a general problem for him.

RNCDevil

Jun 21, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Thing with JJ is that stuff like that seems to happen to him disproportionately often compared to other players. After a certain point, it's either that he's insanely unlucky or that he is in fact doing something wrong to botch all these opportunities. JJ does some useful things for the team but he is definitely perennially unable to produce offensively. No point in coming up with excuses for him on individual plays when it's a general problem for him.

I think, watching it live, the thing that made it so crazy was Blandisi's effort and skill to get that pass off. You could feel a goal coming. So, to see witness the miss, was more shocking given the build-up.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I think, watching it live, the thing that made it so crazy was Blandisi's effort and skill to get that pass off. You could feel a goal coming. So, to see witness the miss, was more shocking given the build-up.

Definitely that was part of it, too. I remember standing up to celebrate thinking there was going to be a goal and then sitting down with a groan. Many of the fans throughout the arena had a similar painful, awkward moment.

It was just watching Blandisi as a fan you were thinking in admiration "How did he do that?" and then with Josefson you were on the other end of the spectrum, shaking your head and thinking, "Gah, how did he miss that golden opportunity?"

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Now that I've collected my thoughts and am re-watching the ceremony, my feelings:

1. Everything was extremely well done for the large part. The stage area was really cool to see live, I loved the giant mask and the pucks with the records/accomplishments written on the tape. Awesome stuff.

2. I'm clearly stating the obvious here but Doc is perfect. We were so lucky to have him be a part of this team and for him to come back to emcee these events. Him pulling Marty aside to let it all soak in was classic.

3. I took part in the initial booing of Bettman, but come on people, he's talking about Marty. Boo him when he gets up there, but the damn vuvuzuela guy sounded like an idiot when he blew it in the middle of him talking about Marty.

4. I got chills at several moments during the returns, mostly for Lemaire, Robinson and Lou. But man, the ovation and reaction for Line Burns was fantastic. Really glad that she came out for the event.

5. I still stand by Lou trolling Bettman as possibly the moment of the night. :laugh: That was classic.

6. Finally, with Marty, you could tell how nervous he was. As good of a talker as he is, you got the feeling he felt overwhelmed and nervous for his big speech and his instinct was to simply go through it. It's incredible to me how a guy that was as good as he is can possibly be the most humble, gracious athlete I've ever seen. The whole ceremony was outstanding, I loved Marty naming off some of the teammates from his Cup years as well. The entrance through the sticks of the current players to his exit after posing with the statue could not have been more perfectly done. I'm amazed I held it together and didn't weep like a baby.

All in all, it was absolutely the best night I've gotten a chance to be a part of as a Devils fan. I'm really lucky I got to be there and soak it all in.

I don't think anyone can understate how good Doc was last night. He was flawless, and his save of Marty was so smart and effortless. I also loved is little stat by the NHL magazine from 92 and the 5 goalies fact.

The ovation for Line Burns was a really emotional moment. Glad she was there and eve happier she got so much love.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Well the lease is up in about 20 years, hopefully that wasn't a Freudian slip :sarcasm:

I'm a huge 24 fan but could not place that voice, think I was too wrapped up in the moment. Totally awesome that was Kiefer; is he a Devils fan?

Very classy by Marty to throw in a McMullen mention. The franchise really needs to formally memorialize him at some point.

Hoping Vanderbeek was there somewhere just as a fan. I'm fine with the new owners for the most part. Harris should have a bit more self awareness that he is a horrible public speaker (I am too, so guess what I avoid doing).

I think Harris and Blitzer actually care about the team - sure the arena makes them money, but they would be getting a higher rate of return with whatever investing made them billions in the first place. They have already talked about setting it up in trust for their children - dynastic ownership type stuff. For guys at this level, owning a professional sports franchise sets them apart from the other random billionaires out there. The prestige is being part of a select club of rich people (household names around here like Steinbrenner and Mara), not owning another piece of revenue producing real estate.

I'll tell you what I told my buddy. They paid him to be a fan for a day. :laugh:

I was shocked how high the 50/50 got.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I'll tell you what I told my buddy. They paid him to be a fan for a day. :laugh:

I was shocked how high the 50/50 got.

Hah I think I actually remember Kiefer being at the 2003 SCF at least. Not sure if he was supporting us or the Ducks though :P

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
So all the pins they handed out were gone when I left. Think I could call my rep and get one?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad