GDT: Devils vs. Jets - Most Extreme Hockey Challenge! 7:00 PM MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Yeah I don't get when handedness became such a big deal, it seems like it was never really a talking point before a few years ago. I'd rather have someone that can play defense. Hell play Butcher on his off side at ES if you have to have him in the lineup, he can't be any worse than he's been.
Some coaches are obsessed with it (Babcock for example was for decades, not sure about now), others don't care as long as the player can handle their off-side.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I don't care who is playing, just play with some ****ing pride please. I'm sick of this team going quietly into the night lately.

Exactly, which is at the end of the day, all I'm trying to get at.

I wouldn't have really cared who got sat today. The defense has been atrocious and each member has been guilty at one point or another.

A wake up call for all involved is needed.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Exactly, which is at the end of the day, all I'm trying to get at.

I wouldn't have really cared who got sat today. The defense has been atrocious and each member has been guilty at one point or another.

A wake up call for all involved is needed.

A wake up call is not sitting some 23-year old kid who has barely a full season's worth of games in the NHL, a wake-up call would be sitting a vet like MarJo or a bigger name (like a Butcher).

Reactions: Blender

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Sigh. If people want to beat this into the ground, that's fine.

In truth, getting our shit pushed in for the last 10 days should be a wake up call already.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
A wake up call is not sitting some 23-year old kid who has barely a full season's worth of games in the NHL, a wake-up call would be sitting a vet like MarJo or a bigger name (like a Butcher).
Especially when that 23 year old has been playing a top pairing role and outside of a few bad sequences here and there has been a defensive rock back there. If he's not injured and this is some attempt at sending a message, whomever made that decision needs to go.

Reactions: Take Notes

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
saying “everyone’s guilty so it doesn’t matter” is a gross oversimplification. some players are definitely worse than others. we’re trying to win games here, sitting one of our most reliable and consistent and biggest defenders against. a big offensive team doesn’t make us better than having a third pairing turnover machine stay in the lineup because we can’t mess with offhands

Reactions: Blender

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Hynes will sit Butcher only if Yak shows he can offer a viable alternative on the third pair and PP. Sitting the Captain is a borderline nuclear option. It’s a bit early in the season to go that route. If Yak shows he can play a legit LD3 then they can have Greene sit a game if they are still hovering at about .500 in a few weeks. If the team is going into the toilet it won’t matter anyway. I get why they sat Mueller but I agree it reeks of standard NHL coaching routine by blaming young players and doubling down on fading vets to show leadership.

Hard to know where the spark is going to come from tonight but they are capable of it.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
The only thing I can think of other than sheer stupidity lol is that Mueller is banged up. Butcher easily could have sat as well if they wanted Yak to get into the lineup on the third pairing.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
The only thing I can think of other than sheer stupidity lol is that Mueller is banged up. Butcher easily could have sat as well if they wanted Yak to get into the lineup on the third pairing.
Only two things I can think of that makes this make sense is that he's injured, or he completely dogged it in practice yesterday and is being sent a message. His game performances in no way warrant being scratched. That would be sheer stupidity for sure.

Reactions: My3Sons and JK3

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
saying “everyone’s guilty so it doesn’t matter” is a gross oversimplification. some players are definitely worse than others. we’re trying to win games here, sitting one of our most reliable and consistent and biggest defenders against. a big offensive team doesn’t make us better than having a third pairing turnover machine stay in the lineup because we can’t mess with offhands

See, I believe I can argue this is an oversimplification as well. I know that many people probably consider it minor, but playing offhand isn't as easy as some think. Whether it is trying to transition the puck or chip it out of the zone, or trying to manage the puck at the point in the offensive zone at even strength, it isn't as easy as some believe and is why this is considered at all from a coaching stance.

Now, maybe they could have just taken Lovejoy out and put Butcher on his offhand on the 3rd line with Yakovlev, but maybe they're concerned about a pairing like that for Yakovlev's first game. Maybe put Mueller with Butcher on his offhand because they worked together last year on that. Who does Yakovlev play with then? You don't want to throw him into the fire with Vatanen right away I'd imagine.

Look, I'm not trying to start things, just simply being devil's advocate for the decision assuming Mueller is not banged up. Like I mentioned, I like Mueller and would prefer Lovejoy to be the guy being rotated out. For our sake, let's just hope it actually works. :laugh:

EliasFTW

Jan 27, 2009
Utica, NY
omgcw.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad