GDT: Devils vs. Islanders - Leftovers Edition - 4:00 PM MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I wish they would ask him why he doesn't play Bratt, then he'd give some dopey answer like backchecking and I'd laugh my fanny off considering how bad EVERYONE this side of Coleman and Zajac is at it.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
The funny thing is that Edmonton's roster is a tirefire and Hitchcock can't do anything to change that, but a coach like that - a hard ass with attention to detail and a short shelf life - is exactly what our guys could use.

Zajac and Coleman aren't playing well relative to the others because they "get" what Hynes is doing or are executing at a higher level. They would play well under any coach.

Azathoth

May 25, 2017
Centre of Chaos
Zajac plays like crap for the first 60 mins and Hynes gives him mins OT while the kids who showed up to play today never left the damn bench. Great coaching there Hynes.

Part of me gets wanting to have vets out there, but with all the open ice in OT the skill/speedier guys like Bratt zacha and Coleman should be getting more opportunities.

Reactions: Ronnie Bass

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I don't think Hynes makes in game adjustments very well. I think when they have to go off script there is real panic.

Regardless, this just isn't a well coached team. There is a real lack of discipline and so much sloppiness.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I don't think Hynes makes in game adjustments very well. I think when they have to go off script there is real panic.

Regardless, this just isn't a well coached team. There is a real lack of discipline and so much sloppiness.

The system works when they skate hard and execute. When they don't, it's a complete clusterf***. It's basically balancing on a razor's edge, which we did well last year. This year, not so much.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
To get a point out of that game was probably a blessing. Not the best game defensively, one goal called back on offside and tying the game with 10 seconds left.

Thought the offense did well all things considered, it wasn’t an easy time but they grinded away and got into the dirty areas to get their goals.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I dont get what this idea is that the team needs to try in order to execute within their system properly

No shit sherlock, everyone needs to try in any system.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
The Devils are better this year than they were last year. Just not getting the breaks. They’re a bubble playoff team, although it may not show that way points wise. You can’t overreact to individual results.

I heard a lot of people say we rode our start last year into the playoffs. I dunno Ive been saying the same thing. We were not some running away with the league team, we got in by 1 point 1 loss in a close game and we dont make it. So seeing this team run near .500 at the moment doesnt totally shock me. I do believe they will got on a run at some point, run off 4 or 5 wins, the big question is can they hold of the slide that would come after.

Also I get being upset with the outcome, but frankly we have ZERO reason to even get a point out of this game. They played like crap the first 2 periods, maybe they have a couple of mins in the second they looked ok. The 3rd was the only decent period and it was only decent. I'll take a point in that game and run and be happy. Would i have liked a second one, of course, but the fact of the matter is we didnt even deserve the 1 we got.

As for Bratt, the only reason i can see for him getting less mins is because they saw how he died out toward the end of last season. I know that he got into better condition this offseason but then he was out for a while. It could be something as them simply managing his minutes at the moment to make sure she does get as worn down in the second half. Again this is just an theory , Im not trying to make excuses for anyone.

I agree that Palmieri needs to be much smarter in OT. I believe thats the second time he had tried to go throw guys in OT with all that open ice. He needs to be aware that in that situation use the rest of the ice to your advantage.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Situational awareness is the weakness of the team. Hynes will talk about consistency and effort all day but it won't absolve him.

How many guys start a cycle that isn't available? How many guys force a play up the middle when they could take the circles freely? How many guys tap a pass at their own blueline to a rushing forward or d-man who isn't there to receive it?

The answer is that every guy does. And that falls on the coach.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Hynes has a very simple pregame script and he either can’t or won’t try to adjust it on the fly during games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad