GDT: Devils vs. Islanders - 6:00 PM MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I will admit Severson played a lousy game tonight. But I still wouldn't bench him. Maybe if we were a stacked team that was top 5 in the league, you give him a night off for it, but come on. Lovejoy has played 80 ****** games this year and he hasn't been benched. Moore has played 150+ ****** games for us since he's been here. He hasn't been benched. The team gets drastically worse with Severson on the bench. Again, I'm fine with the turnovers since it's statistically shown night in and night out the team generates most of it's chances with him on the ice. Like I've said all year, the second the talent on this team collectively improves, Severson will turn into a fan favorite for this team. Once we get forwards that can actually finish, Severson will be appreciated more.

But you're right. The Lovejoy love-fest is mindboggling. I'm starting to get convinced he might even get protected which could by far be the worst thing this organization could do. Because if he gets protected, you automatically have to dismiss Hynes/Shero's credibility. Then you know those two just don't have a clue what is needed to build/manage a successful team. Now I still trust Shero, but like you know, I'm done with Hynes. If he isn't playing Lovejoy for the tank, then he seriously cannot evaluate talent. And I don't want to hear from anyone else that there aren't better options. Because there are. Prout/Hegelson/Auvitu all are. Which is one of the saddest sentences I've written lol.

I don't agree on Helgeson being better, Helgeson is the worst thing we've had to witness since Mark Fraser.

i mean, maybe he is better than Lovejoy at this point, but that's only because I think Lovejoy has grenaded.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
Helgeson stinks, anyone assumes he's a better option only thinks that because his last name isn't Lovejoy. Rest assured he's not.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Helgeson stinks, anyone assumes he's a better option only thinks that because his last name isn't Lovejoy. Rest assured he's not.

I've been saying he stinks for over a year now, my buddy has been saying it for over 2. Stollery and Gragnani look pretty good next to him.

He has no upside at all, he skates alright but it's negated by his poor IQ and inability to make a play with the puck or even get the puck. In the rare event that he gets the puck, it winds up either getting iced or thrown like a grenade to someone or somewhere in the defensive zone. God forbid we're already in the D zone, which we usually are when he's on the ice. The D zone is his office.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think Palmieri was part of the question, wasn't he? I thought it was Palmieri is one of 4 American born Devils players with 25 or more goals in back to back seasons, who are the other 3?

Which were Broten, Gionta and Parise.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
One big criticism I have of Hynes is his handling of Severson. It's not quite DeBoer-Larsson bad but when we're a young team that doesn't have expectations I'd be more forgiving on the young guys. Then again, Severson is very mistake prone so maybe he just makes one too many for Hynes to totally let it slide. Now lord knows LJ and Moore make 10x as many, just don't understand why Seves gets the harsh treatment.

What? Severson is averaging 20 minutes a night this season.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
How weren't Arnott and Sykora brought back?

Jersey retirement night. This abrupt ending and half-distraction ending to his career doesn't deserve the reunion anyways imo.

Meanwhile, I'll just keep playing this in my mind and remembering how this moment makes up for all the grief the last several years.

7VyRYba.gif

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
That first Islanders goal wasn't as bad as it looked in slow motion. Still a stoppable goal, but I said it was probably the worst he's allowed all season, excluding a few of those at Barclays Center in February. I only saw the slow motion replay of it at first, because making my dinner went into the 2nd period.

Whatever

I'd re-sign him again to backup for next season, maybe 2 seasons. I think he's earned another deal from us. There will be younger goalies with higher ceilings available in the expansion draft, like Grubauer. Who was drafted by McPhee in Washington, so I don't see Vegas taking him. We could do MUCH worse than as a backup, if he plays like he did this year and in 14-15. Better than gambling on Wedgewood, who will have gone almost a year without playing due to injury, by the time next season starts. Not to mention the huge question marks surrounding him and if he's even a good goaltender with any kind of an NHL future at all.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Cammalleri was really tough to watch this game.

The metrics probably don't back that up, but he looked cooked numerous times in this game. Made a lot of dumb decisions too. He just looked like a 38-40 year old player, who is playing in his final career games this weekend.

Iginla and Doan don't even look that bad on most nights.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA

The metrics probably don't back that up, but he looked cooked numerous times in this game. Made a lot of dumb decisions too. He just looked like a 38-40 year old player, who is playing in his final career games this weekend.

I kind of felt embarrassed for him. He doesn't belong in the NHL. However, he isn't going to give up the money and neither would any of us. I see a future buyout.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Jersey retirement night. This abrupt ending and half-distraction ending to his career doesn't deserve the reunion anyways imo.

Meanwhile, I'll just keep playing this in my mind and remembering how this moment makes up for all the grief the last several years.

7VyRYba.gif

Throughout last week I got several emails from the team to attend last nights game as it would be "a historic night" :laugh::laugh:. Historic to see a guy skate in circles and shoot pucks for 15 minutes and take part in the opening face off for the second time this week?

Don't get me wrong, it was great to see Patty throughout the week, but it was gimmick central out there again. This is the kind of stuff the Yankees have gotten roasted for, the multiple overstated sendoffs for the same player.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Throughout last week I got several emails from the team to attend last nights game as it would be "a historic night" :laugh::laugh:. Historic to see a guy skate in circles and shoot pucks for 15 minutes and take part in the opening face off for the second time this week?

Don't get me wrong, it was great to see Patty throughout the week, but it was gimmick central out there again. This is the kind of stuff the Yankees have gotten roasted for, the multiple overstated sendoffs for the same player.

As far as business models go, following the Yankee lead is a pretty good road to travel.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ

Iginla and Doan don't even look that bad on most nights.

For me Cammalleri has been tough to watch all season. I hope he is gone next season regardless of cost to us.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ

I felt the same way Wingman it was gimmicicky. The Devils have never been good with Marketing 101. Last night I wouldn't have turned on the TV for any part of last night except Patty was there so I watched the pre game and puck dropping. I would like to see Patty get a job with the big team next season. Bye Patty, Thanks for the memories.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad