GDT: Devils vs. Flyers - Season Finale - 7:00 PM - MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camille the Eel

Our D next year is currently what...Smith, a declining Subban (on an expiring contract, mind you), Severson and ??? Bahl may or may not be ready for the full regular season ride, I don't think there are any other realistic answers on the roster unless we re-sign Murray and we'd still need an addition or two.
Yes it's on D that Fitz has to be active. That's where we badly need to solidify.

Reactions: devilsblood

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Nothing sad at all being excited for the young kids.

You win championships with a young core. Not 12 UFAs and over priced trades.
Yeah when you ice a lineup who half should be in the AHL than you're gonna have a bad time. This team needs to desperately sign a top 6 winger and a top 4 D man to push some guys down the lineup.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Super excited for next season. The young guys have really impressed me this season, and I feel like they really like playing together.

Reactions: Guadana

MauDevils

Jan 11, 2009
New Jersey
Our D next year is currently what...Smith, a declining Subban (on an expiring contract, mind you), Severson and ??? Bahl may or may not be ready for the full regular season ride, I don't think there are any other realistic answers on the roster unless we re-sign Murray and we'd still need an addition or two. Sieg had a tough break getting his audition interrupted but he really didn't show much before that anyway.

You're forgetting defensive dynamo Jonas Siegenthaler. And we might still have to deal with Butcher if Seattle drinks heavily and takes Johansson.

Camille the Eel

They should be closer to the bubble and win more games, but I think the kids are going to need another year before they are really ready to do damage.
While I love our kids we are a little too light. In managing and developing the roster, if we can become a heavier team, and retain and develop the players who help us be that, while still playing with the speed we displayed this year, that would be nice evolution.

Reactions: NJDevs26

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
You're forgetting defensive dynamo Jonas Siegenthaler. And we might still have to deal with Butcher if Seattle drinks heavily and takes Johansson.

I more or less expect Butcher to be bought out or dumped for a song with the way they took pains not to play him, particularly when they could have rotated some guys in and out early in the season.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
What’s the alternative though? They are going about things the right way. No stupid panic moves have been made , we have cap room and are building through the draft . We are set at C which is more than the majority of teams can say. Some teams have 0 true 1c’s . We have two.
Patience man . It will be worth it .

I'm not saying there is an alternative. I'm not even saying I dislike what they are doing because I don't. I'm just done having any expectations until the team proves there is reason to have them. Weird season, yes. Covid killed us, yes. Crawford bailing hurt us, yes. The kids are still learning the pro game, yes. I get all of that. But it's just tiresome because every year for the past 10 years it's been something that's the reason we can't win yet. I can't not watch and root for the team, but I just won't believe blindly that a switch is going to flip and they will start winning. I am at the show me point here.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
I want to be excited for the kids but I'm just too jaded at this point. I'll believe it when I see it and not before. Talking about wins is great and having lots of potential is great, but it needs to translate to wins. Until it does, I'm just going to temper the expectations. Finishing anywhere around .500 next year would be a massive accomplishment. I see no chance of the playoffs.

ya, you seem to be in a pissy mood in general the last little while……everything ok?

Camille the Eel

Will Butcher will not be playing significant minutes, even third pairing minutes, on a contending team. He's been paid a few million, we really need to move on from him.

Siegenthaler we'll have to see what he looks like when healthy and ready to play next camp.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
our best teams had a mix of vets and young players, we have a ton of cap space, there is no harm in signing a couple of proven players

Yeah people are taking the no blockers thing a little too literally, especially when you also try to reconcile that with not wanting to rush kids before they're ready.

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
Yeah people are taking the no blockers thing a little too literally, especially when you also try to reconcile that with not wanting to rush kids before they're ready.
exactly, let the kids work their way up, sign a few vets for a year or two, its not the end of the world, this team has to win more games than they lose next year, we still have our core

Reactions: Devs3cups

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I'm sure some veterans will be signed to bring balance to the team. I think they just don't want it to be at the expense of deserving players. Some guys will be back in the AHL next season. I love the young guys though, and I want some veteran leadership in there.

Reactions: The 29th Pick

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I'm not saying there is an alternative. I'm not even saying I dislike what they are doing because I don't. I'm just done having any expectations until the team proves there is reason to have them. Weird season, yes. Covid killed us, yes. Crawford bailing hurt us, yes. The kids are still learning the pro game, yes. I get all of that. But it's just tiresome because every year for the past 10 years it's been something that's the reason we can't win yet. I can't not watch and root for the team, but I just won't believe blindly that a switch is going to flip and they will start winning. I am at the show me point here.

You summed up my own feelings much better and more succinctly than I have the last few weeks.

Reactions: Camille the Eel

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010

I understand what you mean, I really do. But this is the best group of young players we've had in a long, long time. It'll come.

Reactions: My3Sons

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
ya, you seem to be in a pissy mood in general the last little while……everything ok?

Lol. It's just tiresome ya know? I'm surprised I haven't gotten my typical Gritty gif WebEx message from my coworker I usually get immediately after the flyers beat the Devils. When this team was really good I was too young to fully appreciate it. Now that I have time to watch games, money to go to games, and am really invested in the team, they are terrible. One playoff game I've been able to go to. 1. It was freaking awesome as it was the game we beat Tampa, but 1 game. Last season I had season tickets and it was a freaking disaster. It was almost a chore to go to games.

Reactions: njdevils1982

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
exactly, let the kids work their way up, sign a few vets for a year or two, its not the end of the world, this team has to win more games than they lose next year, we still have our core

they can definitely use a veteran defender or two and maybe a wing they think will mesh with Jack. I’d sign Zjac as a 13th forward if he was open to it. Just be judicious on term

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Lol. It's just tiresome ya know? I'm surprised I haven't gotten my typical Gritty gif WebEx message from my coworker I usually get immediately after the flyers beat the Devils. When this team was really good I was too young to fully appreciate it. Now that I have time to watch games, money to go to games, and am really invested in the team, they are terrible. One playoff game I've been able to go to. 1. It was freaking awesome as it was the game we beat Tampa, but 1 game. Last season I had season tickets and it was a freaking disaster. It was almost a chore to go to games.

What are they gonna say now, nyah nyah we finished 6th and you finished 7th? I mean that'd take some balls for a Flyer fan to mock when we're both in the same boat this Spring.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
What are they gonna say now, nyah nyah we finished 6th and you finished 7th? I mean that'd take some balls for a Flyer fan to mock when we're both in the same boat this Spring.

I mean, that's true. I guess it's not rags fans we are talking about here. Luckily I'm not in the office tomorrow though as I'd undoubtedly hear about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad