GDT: Devils vs. Flyers - Season Finale - 7:00 PM - MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
You can tell Nico is upset with loss, he went straight to the thoughtful chin rub.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The coaching staff did guys no favors by not rotating guys in an out of the lineup to give them a day off.

It's hockey culture, they don't want to be the NBA...but yeah a little NBA-style load management back in Feburary could have helped matters and it's not like results would have gotten much worse.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I want to be excited for the kids but I'm just too jaded at this point. I'll believe it when I see it and not before. Talking about wins is great and having lots of potential is great, but it needs to translate to wins. Until it does, I'm just going to temper the expectations. Finishing anywhere around .500 next year would be a massive accomplishment. I see no chance of the playoffs.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Fix the special teams. Fire Butcher Johnsson Wedgewood Dell into the sun, sign a stop gap streaky D or two . Try to kick the tires on any elite talent via trade , draft one of the three stud D in the draft and chill out until next year.
I feel we will be better next year and a playoff bubble team. Year after is where we earn the B while we enjoy the ride to rise from being shitbags.

Reactions: Dialamo

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I want to be excited for the kids but I'm just too jaded at this point. I'll believe it when I see it and not before. Talking about wins is great and having lots of potential is great, but it needs to translate to wins. Until it does, I'm just going to temper the expectations. Finishing anywhere around .500 next year would be a massive accomplishment. I see no chance of the playoffs.

I do like that the kids have a better attitude than the 'every man for himself' ship up in Buffalo but if results don't improve in the next year or two you might see that start to creep in here too.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Fix the special teams. Fire Butcher Johnsson Wedgewood Dell into the sun, sign a stop gap streaky D or two . Try to kick the tires on any elite talent via trade , draft one of the three stud D in the draft and chill out until next year.
Is that before or after we steal the underwear?

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009

They can 100% make the playoffs next season. I expect them to be right there until the end and possibly get in. You do realize they played the entire stretch run with guys like Tennyson, White, Butcher, Bahl, etc. on defense right?

Smith, Subban, Kulikov all out of the lineup. That is absolutely massive.

Camille the Eel

Yeah I'm going to miss the games. Watching this young team even though we mostly lost a lot was a lot of fun.

The Flyers put in by far their best effort tonight of the 4 or 5 games we had with them at the end of the season. When you consider our depleted roster and the high class talent they have at the top of their lineup at least, the result shouldn't exactly be a surprise. Our D was especially disorganized, they were catching us deep and counterattacking through the neutral zone all night it seemed.

I thought their rookie D from Michigan was impressively strong on the puck. He won a lot of tough pucks from us, from Nico and Shango and others. We really exposed Wedgewood to a lot of tough chances. Siegenthaler and Butcher were so disorganized. Except for the rebound, their goals were tap ins and not on Wedgewood at all. Just plays we let develop that ended in fancy finishes.

I hope Wedgewood sticks in the league. He's been a really pleasant surprise this year. He's the kind of guy you want to see succeed.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
What’s the alternative though? They are going about things the right way. No stupid panic moves have been made , we have cap room and are building through the draft . We are set at C which is more than the majority of teams can say. Some teams have 0 true 1c’s . We have two.
Patience man . It will be worth it .

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I do like the kids have a better attitude than the 'every man for himself' ship up in Buffalo but if results don't improve in the next year or two you might see that creep in here too.

There certainly seems to be a lot of camaraderie here with the players and that is super important. As much as I have complained about the loser mentality, I think it's actually not really the case. I think they want to win as much for their teammates as for themselves. I'm not so concerned about that. I'm more concerned about the ability to play at the level required to win more often than lose.

Reactions: My3Sons

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
They can 100% make the playoffs next season. I expect them to be right there until the end and possibly get in. You do realize they played the entire stretch run with guys like Tennyson, White, Butcher, Bahl, etc. on defense right?

Our D next year is currently what...Smith, a declining Subban (on an expiring contract, mind you), Severson and ??? Bahl may or may not be ready for the full regular season ride, I don't think there are any other realistic answers on the roster unless we re-sign Murray and we'd still need an addition or two. Sieg had a tough break getting his audition interrupted but he really didn't show much before that anyway.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Feel 50/50 on where we go from here.

Optimistic about all the stuff you could be optimistic about but I still don't feel there's a good system or style in place. Ruff's a placeholder so maybe the next coach gives the team an identity. I want to see things gel as a whole more.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

They should be closer to the bubble and win more games, but I think the kids are going to need another year before they are really ready to do damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->