GDT: Devils vs. Flyers - Season Finale - 7:00 PM - MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
they can definitely use a veteran defender or two and maybe a wing they think will mesh with Jack. I’d sign Zjac as a 13th forward if he was open to it. Just be judicious on term
yeah we dont have to abandon the master plan, just get this team back to respectability, people in the Jersey area want to root for a winner, theres too much competition here in Jersey and hockey isnt the "big" sport

MauDevils

Jan 11, 2009
New Jersey
Playoff talk for next year seems crazy barring some type of Dougie Hamilton signing. We're probably 2-3 years away.

Whoever we take in the draft isn't even going to make the team next year unless we win the lottery.

We still have nobody breaking 60 points and no other elite talent coming or hitting free agency next year.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Playoff talk for next year seems crazy barring some type of Dougie Hamilton signing. We're probably 2-3 years away.

Whoever we take in the draft isn't even going to make the team next year unless we win the lottery.

We still have nobody breaking 60 points and no other elite talent coming or hitting free agency next year.

Disagree. The young players should progress, we’ll add one or two high end pieces in the system who aren’t here this year, and we should add on defense. In the event we can fix the goaltending and special teams, it can absolutely be a playoff team next year. The 5v5 numbers are already there.

RNCDevil

Jun 21, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Thanks all for sharing your thoughts, humor and rants this season. Obviously, it was terrible on many fronts, but it was nice to have hockey and banter. See you all for another season Hughes highlights, Shara celebrations, Bratt-handles...maybe MORE Hughes or Clarke highlights (brother power!).

Best wishes all. See you all for the draft.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
While I love our kids we are a little too light. In managing and developing the roster, if we can become a heavier team, and retain and develop the players who help us be that, while still playing with the speed we displayed this year, that would be nice evolution.
I'm not sure it is that much of an issue. McLeod Bastian(I do hope he is back) Shara all big strong guys. Zacha and Wood may not play as physical as we'd like but they are not getting pushed around either. Nico is fine. Kuok is fine.

Hughes and Bratt? Sure, but they will get stronger in time.

D? I do think we want to make sure we have physical guys there. Smith and Sev's are the only real definites, neither is overly physical though I think Sev's is not a pushover. Either Sieg's or Bahl will likely be one spot, and I do wonder what type of player you play them with on that 3rd pair. Subban is a probably. Is Murray back.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
if he’s playing with a torn ligament in these meaningless games I’ll be disappointed
I doubt it's that serious, and given that, I'm glad he fought through it. In general guys need to battle through injuries when they can.

Reactions: My3Sons

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I'm not sure it is that much of an issue. McLeod Bastian(I do hope he is back) Shara all big strong guys. Zacha and Wood may not play as physical as we'd like but they are not getting pushed around either. Nico is fine. Kuok is fine.

Hughes and Bratt? Sure, but they will get stronger in time.

D? I do think we want to make sure we have physical guys there. Smith and Sev's are the only real definites, neither is overly physical though I think Sev's is not a pushover. Either Sieg's or Bahl will likely be one spot, and I do wonder what type of player you play them with on that 3rd pair. Subban is a probably. Is Murray back.

All our LD prospects are on the bigger side so they all bring some of that. Luke and Clarke don't seem like little guys either.

I imagine down the road when we add more win now players they could bring some of that too

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
All our LD prospects are on the bigger side so they all bring some of that. Luke and Clarke don't seem like little guys either.

I imagine down the road when we add more win now players they could bring some of that too
Ya for sure, I was looking shorter term, but there was definitely a concerted effort to bring big bodies into the organization via the draft.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Yeah I'm going to miss the games. Watching this young team even though we mostly lost a lot was a lot of fun.

The Flyers put in by far their best effort tonight of the 4 or 5 games we had with them at the end of the season. When you consider our depleted roster and the high class talent they have at the top of their lineup at least, the result shouldn't exactly be a surprise. Our D was especially disorganized, they were catching us deep and counterattacking through the neutral zone all night it seemed.

I thought their rookie D from Michigan was impressively strong on the puck. He won a lot of tough pucks from us, from Nico and Shango and others. We really exposed Wedgewood to a lot of tough chances. Siegenthaler and Butcher were so disorganized. Except for the rebound, their goals were tap ins and not on Wedgewood at all. Just plays we let develop that ended in fancy finishes.

I hope Wedgewood sticks in the league. He's been a really pleasant surprise this year. He's the kind of guy you want to see succeed.
I’m glad you like Wedgewood’s pluckiness but if he’s on this team next year I would be livid. He may be technically better than some goalies in the NHL but every team should want something better in a back-up. He can be a 3rd goalie in a system.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
The Flyers might be in a worse position considering that Giroux and Voracek are both long in the tooth and they have no one to replace them.

They still don't have any D and their goalie situation is still unknown.

But we are NJ Devils fans. Making the playoffs and contend probably 2 or 3 more years away.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Any hope Kulikov comes back....

Some combination of Kulikov, Murray, Smith, Subban and Bahl with Siegenthaler, Tennyson and perhaps one or two of the kids or another acquisition fighting for the 6, 7, 8 and first call up spots is definitely an upgrade over where the Devils were this year.

Reactions: Whaddagoal

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Some combination of Kulikov, Murray, Smith, Subban and Bahl with Siegenthaler, Tennyson and perhaps one or two of the kids or another acquisition fighting for the 6, 7, 8 and first call up spots is definitely an upgrade over where the Devils were this year.

Yep, I would be fine with that, if we get Kulikov back (1 or 2 seasons), we definitely need some upgrades back there. If not Kulikov, then we must go higher caliber in D market. Same with finding a solid 1b to work with Blackwood.

I think Bahl will make the team out of camp, and I don't see why we won't keep him up at the big club at least, as one of the 6/7th D-man, if there is no upgrades acquired over offseason.. Bahl is looking pretty decent his these first set of NHL games he's ever played, seems like he can only get stronger/smarter/better.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Yep, I would be fine with that, if we get Kulikov back (1 or 2 seasons), we definitely need some upgrades back there. If not Kulikov, then we must go higher caliber in D market. Same with finding a solid 1b to work with Blackwood.

I think Bahl will make the team out of camp, and I don't see why we won't keep him up at the big club at least, as one of the 6/7th D-man, if there is no upgrades acquired over offseason.. Bahl is looking pretty decent his these first set of NHL games he's ever played, seems like he can only get stronger/smarter/better.

Not a popular opinion on here, but a third pairing of Bahl and a veteran like Tennyson and then Bahl and Smith together on the PP would work well.

Camille the Eel

I’m glad you like Wedgewood’s pluckiness but if he’s on this team next year I would be livid. He may be technically better than some goalies in the NHL but every team should want something better in a back-up. He can be a 3rd goalie in a system.
Yes indeed we need a proven NHL goalie as our 2d, equal to what we thought we had set for this year. It’s the top item on our off season punch list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad