GDT: Devils vs. Flyers 80's RETRO NIGHT 7PM MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Anyone trying to denegrate Ghostisbehere is grasping at straws, the kid's a player and he's going to be a great defenseman in this league.

This was a bad game, and I'm tired of seeing the team underwhelm in the 'built-up' green jersey games.. just let it go already.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Anyone trying to denegrate Ghostisbehere is grasping at straws, the kid's a player and he's going to be a great defenseman in this league.

This was a bad game, and I'm tired of seeing the team underwhelm in the 'built-up' green jersey games.. just let it go already.

i dont see that, meaning people trying to put down his game…….

that said, del zero is still my guy to **** on

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
i dont see that, meaning people trying to put down his game…….

that said, del zero is still my guy to **** on

I just feel the same way about him as I do McDavid. The hype they get. I feel he gets talked about more than Ekblad, and I don't feel he's on Ekblad's level.

Which I don't think is a put down.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
I think it's more than fair to say this was our worst game of the year.

We were terrible in every facet of the game, the coach was spot on.

Considering the Flyers were playing with 5 defensemen for well over 50 minutes, this was pretty bad that they still outshot us.

I think that failed 5 on 3 was where the game really turned.

Our worst game was the first loss in Barclay's Center, and it's not close.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Bleed is right in that it was a lousy/weak effort in the 1st period.
Philly was the hungrier team and that can't happen at home vs a rival when every point is a premium.

From there on, they just didn't play well, but the effort should have been better early on.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Not sure why I even bothered reading the main board thread on Blender's dive. That was a mistake.

I think many of us, myself included, could tell it wasn't going to be a good night from the start. The first powerplay was all over the place and we couldn't control the puck. Passes were misfired, rebound chances were lost, we were missing the net like it was our job. Then the 5 minute major powerplay rolls around, Rico's goal is disallowed, Stempniak hits two posts before Kennedy pots one, Blandisi's embellishment. So much went wrong in that first 20 minutes when we could have taken advantage of so much more.

Then in the 2nd and 3rd, the 5 on 3 was a disaster, Palmieri takes a bad penalty that leads to a goal, we miraculously tie it with a 5 on 5 goal and then kill all momentum with our best penalty killer taking a penalty in the offensive zone.

We beat ourselves in this one. Hynes said it best, we got exactly what we deserved.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
Not sure why I even bothered reading the main board thread on Blender's dive. That was a mistake.

I think many of us, myself included, could tell it wasn't going to be a good night from the start. The first powerplay was all over the place and we couldn't control the puck. Passes were misfired, rebound chances were lost, we were missing the net like it was our job. Then the 5 minute major powerplay rolls around, Rico's goal is disallowed, Stempniak hits two posts before Kennedy pots one, Blandisi's embellishment. So much went wrong in that first 20 minutes when we could have taken advantage of so much more.

Then in the 2nd and 3rd, the 5 on 3 was a disaster, Palmieri takes a bad penalty that leads to a goal, we miraculously tie it with a 5 on 5 goal and then kill all momentum with our best penalty killer taking a penalty in the offensive zone.

We beat ourselves in this one. Hynes said it best, we got exactly what we deserved.

That can be said for so many things :laugh:

Glad to see Blandisi owning up to it though, takes some guts to do that I think

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I'm going to call him Ghost instead of misspelling his name a thousand times.

Does his play lower the value of a guy like Severson?

Severson- 1g, 12a, 13p, 54gp

Ghost- 11g, 21a, 32p, 38gp

He's also a +2 on a non playoff team. We are sitting here patiently waiting for guys like Larsson, Gelinas, and Severson to put up some offensive numbers and then this guy comes out of nowhere and blows them away.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I am not sure why people are still hung up on Larsson's point totals when he has been used in a strictly defensive way this year. no PP time and some of the least offensive zone starts in the NHL. couple that with having terrible forwards overall and its not surprising he hasn't put up big point totals.

Gelinas just stinks

Severson has been so "meh" to me outside of his hot start last year.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I am not sure why people are still hung up on Larsson's point totals when he has been used in a strictly defensive way this year. no PP time and some of the least offensive zone starts in the NHL. couple that with having terrible forwards overall and its not surprising he hasn't put up big point totals.

Gelinas just stinks

I feel like outside of Schlemko's goals, our D has scaled bag significantly on offense.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I'm going to call him Ghost instead of misspelling his name a thousand times.

Does his play lower the value of a guy like Severson?

Severson- 1g, 12a, 13p, 54gp

Ghost- 11g, 21a, 32p, 38gp

He's also a +2 on a non playoff team. We are sitting here patiently waiting for guys like Larsson, Gelinas, and Severson to put up some offensive numbers and then this guy comes out of nowhere and blows them away.

Their scouts nailed it with him.
He's a Norris candidate next season IMO.
Much better player than Sevs.

You would think Conte and our scouts would be familiar wit Union College since we scouted Kinkaid there a few years prior.

Philly also nailed it with proverov and konecny in the same draft.

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia

Gelinas just stinks

He has been my biggest disappointment this year. He really hasn't done anything and I hope it is just the 2nd year slump. As you said, what has the guy done outside of his hot start last year? Everyone rips on Gelinas(rightfully so) and Larrson's point totals, but why isn't Severson getting some blame too? He's constantly flubbering the puck and can't really get his shot on net. I think Severson is still behind the net after that horrible play last night.

He looks scared out there and lacks confidence and I wouldn't be surprised if he either got sent down to the minors to work on his game or in the press box when Merrill comes back/rotating in with Hulk from time to time and Gelinas.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Their scouts nailed it with him.
He's a Norris candidate next season IMO.
Much better player than Sevs.

You would think Conte and our scouts would be familiar wit Union College since we scouted Kinkaid there a few years prior.

Philly also nailed it with proverov and konecny in the same draft.

They certainly did an excellent job with their defensive drafting lately I will give them that.

We have to hope that Santini and Jacobs are good and that Severson bounces back from his sophomore sag. Also, we need Merrill to start trending upward consistently. I think Gelinas is a lost cause at this point. Moore is a perfect 4, 5, 6, guy. Who knows, maybe Shero will have to find a Palmieri-esque trade for a D-man.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
[/B]

He has been my biggest disappointment this year. He really hasn't done anything and I hope it is just the 2nd year slump. As you said, what has the guy done outside of his hot start last year? Everyone rips on Gelinas(rightfully so) and Larrson's point totals, but why isn't Severson getting some blame too? He's constantly flubbering the puck and can't really get his shot on net. I think Severson is still behind the net after that horrible play last night.

He looks scared out there and lacks confidence and I wouldn't be surprised if he either got sent down to the minors to work on his game or in the press box when Merrill comes back/rotating in with Hulk from time to time and Gelinas.

Right after his injury he fell back down to earth. Larsson did the same thing after almost being murdered by Subban. It took him a long time to get his confidence back up. Maybe DS is going through something similar.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
lol if you guys want to get in a tizzy every time a bubble team in the middle of a rebuild has a tough night, I don't know what to tell you other than you probably need to lower your expectations.

Dylan9z9

May 16, 2012
Rockaway, NJ
Tired of the hype this ghost pepper gobstopper guy is getting.

He gets more hype than Ekblad right now, which is a damn shame. Ekblad actually deserves more hype than he gets, but this other guy is getting too much.

I'm sure most would agree that Ekblad is certainly more of a stud out of the two, even Flyers fans themselves, unless they're braindead. But because Ekblad plays in Florida and the other guy plays in Philadelphia, he gets all the hype.

Guess what Dano seems to be his biggest fan ... kissing his ass all night everytime he touched the puck....embarrassing!

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
I was at that 4-0 loss and I can tell you it was definitely our worst game. The ice was as tilted in that one as I've ever seen, but maybe it was just the gravitational pull of the off-center scoreboard :sarcasm: In all seriousness, that one beats this game by a mile. We never had a chance in that game from the moment the team got off the bus.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
lol if you guys want to get in a tizzy every time a bubble team in the middle of a rebuild has a tough night, I don't know what to tell you other than you probably need to lower your expectations.

My thoughts exactly. I've enjoyed our run of success this season but this team is still going to have their fair share of rough games like last night. This team absolutely needs to give 100% effort to win there's not enough talent to be coasting out there but over a long season that kind of effort is impossible to keep up.

theoptimist

Trade Siegenthaler
Apr 22, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
I do not mind when Cangy and Dano pump up the opposing team or talk about the individual performances of players on other teams. I'll even go as far as to say that they do not know enough about other team's players.

I am a Devils fan and know a lot about the team, therefore it doesn't hurt to hear about other players who are doing well on other teams.

Camille the Eel

I think it's more than fair to say this was our worst game of the year.

We were terrible in every facet of the game, the coach was spot on.

Considering the Flyers were playing with 5 defensemen for well over 50 minutes, this was pretty bad that they still outshot us.

I think that failed 5 on 3 was where the game really turned.

What makes it our worst loss of the year is that it was our biggest game to date. Division rival, chasing us, chance to knock them out really. We are chasing the Islanders and have played so many more games and need to bank the points. And we lay an egg. Undisciplined, unprepared.

Okay I am not mourning it. This team has given me more than enough this year already. But don't gild the lilly, yes this was one game but it hurt. This puts a serious dent in the playoff hunt. We can't afford many more games like this.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I don't like Deb at all in our broadcasts.

Cangy is learning the game on the fly.

I love Dano and Mac because they give very good players insight and Dano bleeds red & black.
Mac too, but not as much.

Though, I hate it when Dano tries to be politically correct.

I would like to see him rip into the officials if he feels they are wrong, call guys like Gudas dirty when they dish out cheap shots and also say when the Devils are dogging it.

Speaking of Gudas, how many games will he get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad