GDT: Devils vs. Bruins - 7:00PM MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
You're absolutely all over the place

Not really. I said that our reputation around the league is that we're boring. You flew off the handle and found it beyond comprehension that a player (elite offensive player to boot) would be frustrated with being on a boring team. I said we're boring (and not winning) precisely because we aren't scoring or generating much offense. I don't get what you're objecting to? I would hope that guys are frustrated, particularly our star player. I'm not saying that it's a bad thing.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
This team obviously needs an adjustment period. It doesn't surprise me at all that some things look awful right now.

Hall is going to need to take a little while to get into gear. Remember, he's not pure goalscorer like Ovechkin or Kovalchuk. We can't expect him to be a one-man offense. He's two steps ahead of everyone on the ice, we need to give him and the rest of the team enough time to become familiar and anticipate.

I think Hall has been good - him and Zajac are the least of my concerns right now on offense...it's the other top guys that need to step it up.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
Not really. I said that our reputation around the league is that we're boring. You flew off the handle and found it beyond comprehension that a player (elite offensive player to boot) would be frustrated with being on a boring team. I said we're boring (and not winning) precisely because we aren't scoring or generating much offense. I don't get what you're objecting to? I would hope that guys are frustrated, particularly our star player. I'm not saying that it's a bad thing.

image.php

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Did people actually have expectations that our offense would be flying out of the gate?? :laugh::laugh:

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
None Shall Pass and Steve might want to try reading, one I said above earlier today Chara made a great play and two my last post didn't suggest he missed the empty net but didn't score on it, which is true.

None Shall Post if your snippy post wasn't directed at me then you can exclude yourself here.

It wasn't directed at you at all!

It's just torture here sometimes with the homer glasses turning into an echo chamber. Like the game the other night where Boucher (?) high-sticked a dude and people legitimately thought it never happened, then this **** where Chara blocked Hall's shot attempt.

Sometimes you just gotta yell into the void. The internet equivalent of a primal scream. :thumbu:

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey

This is probably the three things a UFA is looking for:

1) $$$$$$$$
2) Does a team have enough to win a cup
3) Is the city/state where he would want to live and raise a family

I'm not even sure what you're contending is in their top ten. And I'm not flying off the hamdle, I'm just totally incredulous at your logic.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I think Hall has been good - him and Zajac are the least of my concerns right now on offense...it's the other top guys that need to step it up.

Oh I agree, if my post made it sound like I'm bashing Hall that wasn't my intent.

He has 2 points but he could easily have 6 with the way he's played, the thing that's prevented that is lack of chemistry. Timing, positioning, etc. No one on either team knows how to keep up with him, which is great for blowing past the defense but bad when you're trying to set up on offense.

With familiar linemates he's probably picking up much more points, and that's a symptom that's being seen in many of our forwards right now.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
It wasn't directed at you at all!

It's just torture here sometimes with the homer glasses turning into an echo chamber. Like the game the other night where Boucher (?) high-sticked a dude and people legitimately thought it never happened, then this **** where Chara blocked Hall's shot attempt.

Sometimes you just gotta yell into the void. The internet equivalent of a primal scream. :thumbu:

Ohhhhhh I hear ya, in fact I'm kinda doing that right now lol

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
This is probably the three things a UFA is looking for:

1) $$$$$$$$
2) Does a team have enough to win a cup
3) Is the city/state where he would want to live and raise a family

I'm not even sure what you're contending is in their top ten. And I'm not flying off the hamdle, I'm just totally incredulous at your logic.

Nothing I said had a thing to do with UFA. If we're in the cellar offensively again and Hall finishes the season well below his career averages, you think he'll be happy? Maybe you don't realize this, but scoring goals tends to be related to wins and losses.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I can see it now. Speers looks good the next ~10 games, sticks with the team, then tapers off hard and gets stuck in the pressbox the rest of the season. Development year, gone.

That would be so Devils.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Better than what we've seen so far.

It's 4 games in which our three best offensive players from last season haven't been very good. Plus Hall, Bennett, Zacha, Fiddler, Parenteau, Lovejoy, Quincey, and Auvitu weren't with the team last year. It's not going to all come together in just a few weeks.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Nothing I said had a thing to do with UFA. If we're in the cellar offensively again and Hall finishes the season well below his career averages, you think he'll be happy? Maybe you don't realize this, but scoring goals tends to be related to wins and losses.

You do remember he played in Edmonton, right?

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It's 4 games in which our three best offensive players from last season haven't been very good. Plus Hall, Bennett, Zacha, Fiddler, Parenteau, Lovejoy, Quincey, and Auvitu weren't with the team last year. It's not going to all come together in just a few weeks.

Offense is like a light switch. They should just be able to turn it on at a whim...duh.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Am I alone in thinking that they haven't been nearly that bad? And that there was even a lot to like about the way we've played in these first four games?

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Am I alone in thinking that they haven't been nearly that bad? And that there was even a lot to like about the way we've played in these first four games?

Honestly, I think the Hall trade has created unrealistic expectations for some. One player wasn't going to fix our scoring woes, and most of our improved depth had question marks coming into the season. They still look very much like a team trying to figure each other out.

I will say though that I wish Hynes would pick a forward lineup and run with it for 5 games. It's hard to get anything going when guys are in or out, and line combos are getting juggled. But that's something a lot of coaches are guilty of these days.

oxman44

Dec 1, 2015
Hunterdon

No not at all! They have done lots of things the right way so far. The defense has been a pleasant surprise for me. Effort has been good. you can see that plays are there to be made but they aren't making them.
I think its really combo of what people are saying, new faces, early season, personnel etc... But, to me, They are just making things soooo hard on themselves. The fundamentals are a bit off, passes in the skates or too far out, iffy desicsions that end up as turnovers. Ricos lines have been outplayed. But all things that should be able to get cleaned, up just how long is it gonna take?

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I can see it now. Speers looks good the next ~10 games, sticks with the team, then tapers off hard and gets stuck in the pressbox the rest of the season. Development year, gone.

That would be so Devils.

You can send players back to junior at any time.

MNDevilsfan

Jan 9, 2015
St. Paul, MN
I have definitely seen plenty I liked. Very happy with the play of Hall, Zacha, and Severson. Henrique and Camm have been disappointing but I am sure they'll get going. Auvitu has been a pleasant surprise, and Quincey looks decent enough.

Really the only big issue for me so far is zone exits. They've been real bad. I am sick of these stretch passes out into the neutral zone already. I don't know if this is a systems thing or if the coaches don't trust any of their D to carry the puck out of the zone, but it is just wrecking them possession wise. Once they actually get in the zone I feel like they've been fairly threatening, but haven't looked at any stats to actually back that up.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Don't forget guys, it takes Hall about ten games to really get going. He is a slow starter, and he's been that way every year he played for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad