GDT: Devils vs. Blues - STAR WARS NIGHT - 7:30PM MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Shots do not always equal effort level. If they were truly lazy when trailing they wouldn't have nearly as many wins when trailing.

Maybe I used a bad word for what I meant, though... my vocabulary in English is quite limited.

Most team when trailing fire as many shots as possible, they keep the play in the offensive zone... but the Devils is kind the oppose. They let the opp team dominate the pace of the game...

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
I'd love to see a breakdown of this. I'm at a bar and can't do that leg work.

If it bears out the way you say, I'll take it on the chin. My memory doesn't comport with what you're saying.

Also, my contention had nothing to do with our wins. I was saying when we're behind we generate very little pressure.

Devils' CF% when down by 1: 43.52. Worst in the league. 51.06 when tied, 11th best in the league.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Wow is Moore terrible. Constantly pinching at the wrong times, coughs up the puck in his own end constantly, not physical, can't clear the puck from the crease. He needs to go but it feels like Hynes just keeps trotting him out there to get scored against.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
NYR is a very strong team with offensive weapons, they better be ready for them or it's going to be ugly.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Maybe I used a bad word for what I meant, though... my vocabulary in English is quite limited.

Most team when trailing fire as many shots as possible, they keep the play in the offensive zone... but the Devils is kind the oppose. They let the opp team dominate the pace of the game...

It also probably has something to do with a **** ton of turnovers because of bad passes, hanging onto the puck too long and not being able to handle the puck when it comes to them.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Nothing. Kalinin is Bleed's current whipping boy so gen is beating that dead horse.

Why does it have to be a whipping boy though?

He's not a very good player. I guess I just don't understand what half this board sees in him.

I was never high on him and always thought his ceiling was a 4th line center. I really have no problem with him playing on the 4th line.

I just don't think he's very good. I think a lot of this board really likes him and I just don't understand why. I don't see anything great about this player? Is he better than Ruutu of the last few years, Farnham, Gio, O'Neill, don't even wanna remember who else, etc? Yeah. But who isn't?

My buddy doesn't much care for him either and was surprised when I told him that a lot of people on this board seem to like him. He's pretty interchangeable if you ask me. He's not completely useless, but he's not all that useful either. Let's just say this, there's a lot of guys that can do what he can do. All in all, I think Josefson is the better player slightly but neither have any business on a 3rd line.

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
Time for a players only meeting. Although they'd probably let everyone in at some point. Man does this team stink defensively.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Yeah there has to be some roster moves if you're going to shake anything up. I wouldn't send Wood or Lappin down, they've been good. Inserting JJ for Kalinin isn't going to matter. Maybe sit Moore and give Merrill a shot. Get Zacha back in if he can go.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Why does it have to be a whipping boy though?

He's not a very good player. I guess I just don't understand what half this board sees in him.

I was never high on him and always thought his ceiling was a 4th line center. I really have no problem with him playing on the 4th line.

I just don't think he's very good. I think a lot of this board really likes him and I just don't understand why. I don't see anything great about this player? Is he better than Ruutu of the last few years, Farnham, Gio, O'Neill, don't even wanna remember who else, etc? Yeah. But who isn't?

My buddy doesn't much care for him either and was surprised when I told him that a lot of people on this board seem to like him. He's pretty interchangeable if you ask me. He's not completely useless, but he's not all that useful either. Let's just say this, there's a lot of guys that can do what he can do. All in all, I think Josefson is the better player slightly but neither have any business on a 3rd line.

Come on you know you get hung up on one guy a lot. Switching Kalinin for JJ isn't going to change anything.

We need Zacha back to push someone down back to the 4th line.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Yeah there has to be some roster moves if you're going to shake anything up. I wouldn't send Wood or Lappin down, they've been good. Inserting JJ for Kalinin isn't going to matter. Maybe sit Moore and give Merrill a shot. Get Zacha back in if he can go.

Moore is a dumpster fire. His occasional offense isn't worth it. JJ for Kalinin is deck chairs. They need Zacha back, or should try someone new in that spot like JQ or Blender.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
They desperately need a few days off and a mandatory practice or two, but there is literally no let up until Christmas.

I wonder if all those OT games are already catching up with them as well. They aren't skating with speed like there were a couple of weeks ago.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Come on you know you get hung up on one guy a lot. Switching Kalinin for JJ isn't going to change anything.

We need Zacha back to push someone down back to the 4th line.

I know it's not his fault that this team has to use him as a 3rd liner but he's not very good. He's pretty much a body to me. Now I never considered guys like Sestito a body, I considered them AHL scrubs. Kalinin isn't an AHL scrub, just a run of the mill NHL 4th liner.

Some people say he reminds them of Brylin or something, but the only similarities I see to Brylin are maybe Brylin's last season in 07-08, when a lot of people wanted him gone.

Bottom line is we're not gonna score many goals from our 3rd line as long as we have players like Kalinin, Josefson, Fiddler, etc, on the 3rd line. DSP is kind of borderline. Bennett would be a solid 3rd liner if he could finish more than one of his I don't even know how many shots. He's like a high rolling tycoon's Josefson. Good posession player, gets a ton of more shots than Josefson but barely scores more goals than him. His assist number is more than good but needs more goals.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Josefson shouldn't play another game in the league, he's garbage.
Ya know, I don't disagree. I really hope he's jettisoned after this year. I think it's a straight up crime if he's not. The way he's been scratched so frequently, you would think it's coming and that's the inevitable after this season. But at the same time, I do think he's better than Kalinin. At least he's no worse. I'd be happy if both were either permanently 4th line players or not played at all/not on the team.
They desperately need a few days off and a mandatory practice or two, but there is literally no let up until Christmas.

I wonder if all those OT games are already catching up with them as well. They aren't skating with speed like there were a couple of weeks ago.

I try not to look at the schedule too much but I think we don't play again until Thursday after Sunday's game. So we should be able to get a few practices in.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
They desperately need to gut out a win Sunday so they can go into the next road trip with some semblance of confidence.

We had a good record against the Rags last year I think.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Most of them probably left early. It's what I would've done.

I even left early and I maybe leave early 2% of the time. The last time I left early was when we got destroyed by Tampa late last year. But mostly I left cause my friends were leaving too so I'd rather walk out with them than watch the last five minutes of a curbstomping that the Devils stopped competing in after the second period. Plus with the late start time, I'd rather get home earlier when there's an opportunity.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I'd love to see a breakdown of this. I'm at a bar and can't do that leg work.

If it bears out the way you say, I'll take it on the chin. My memory doesn't comport with what you're saying.

Also, my contention had nothing to do with our wins. I was saying when we're behind we generate very little pressure on the aggregate.

Honestly Eddy's right...they've had stupid comeback wins against Toronto and Nashville just to name a couple. They were down 3-1 against Florida and came back to get a point. Came back to tie the Blackhawks in the third period.

It's recency bias on your part cause the last two games are among the few where they actually just up and quit. And that's troubling, as is the horrendous starts. If anything that's where they're far more guilty of being lazy - bad first period after bad first period and tonight was another one of those too.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
That sucked and I'm sick of these free ****ing ticket nights. Stupid drunk morons all over the building tonight because of it. You shouldn't get a free pair of tickets for bringing canned food and jackets and toys for tots. If you can afford it you should be bringing them because it's the right thing to do.

and **** that game, waste of time and money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad