GDT: Devils vs. Blue Jackets - They Like Pizza - 7:00 PM - MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
I’m ready to put this season on auto play until the trade deadline and then again until the lottery announcement.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I do think if we have another good goalie here and started the season that way, things could have been different.

But it's still troubling just how bad our offense is, even when Hall was in the lineup and still here. Offense was something Shero talked up as he walked into the door, yet we haven't even improved in that category.

Last year's team (before Hall went down) was averaging more goals than this year's team by quite a bit. I'm pretty sure last year's team was 15th or somewhere around there in scoring at the time Hall went down, which was right around this day last year.

Our offense has been garbage because our dmen have been posting shit numbers offensively.

Greene (4) - Subban (6)
Butcher (11) - Vatanen (15)
Mueller (1) - Severson (8)

I mean, seriously??? How do we expect to generate any type of offense if our supposedly "puck moving defensemen" can’t move the puck or do anything with in when we’re in the offensive zone?

We have talent up front but you can’t play 3 on 5 hockey and expect to get results.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Watching this team play actually makes me angry. It’s dumb, low percentage hockey on constant display. I’d say 40% of the time they can’t make it out of their own zone. Another 40% of the time when they do, they can’t make it through the neutral zone. They try to make high risk low reward passes or skate through the opposition and it literally never ever works. The 20% of the time they make it into the offensive zone, they have no clue how to cycle effectively. They don’t win board battles. They don’t put themselves in the slot or other positions to have a scoring chance.

Its just giving the puck away to the opponent in all three zones, all game long. Some posters have pointed out that advanced status say they aren’t as bad at the possession game as we insist...I think that is complete BS. This team does not possess and control the puck in any meaningful way for most of the time and most games.

With the coaching staff minus Hynes still in place it’s really tough to judge how much of it is lack of structure versus players who just don’t have any kind of hockey IQ. I think that’s the most frustrating part...not knowing who or what the source of this beer league crap is. All I know is that I literally get disgusted watching it. It’s not something anyone should see from an NHL team especially with today’s parity.

Reactions: NJ07102

oxman44

Dec 1, 2015
Hunterdon
Watching this team play actually makes me angry. It’s dumb, low percentage hockey on constant display. I’d say 40% of the time they can’t make it out of their own zone. Another 40% of the time when they do, they can’t make it through the neutral zone. They try to make high risk low reward passes or skate through the opposition and it literally never ever works. The 20% of the time they make it into the offensive zone, they have no clue how to cycle effectively. They don’t win board battles. They don’t put themselves in the slot or other positions to have a scoring chance.

Its just giving the puck away to the opponent in all three zones, all game long. Some posters have pointed out that advanced status say they aren’t as bad at the possession game as we insist...I think that is complete BS. This team does not possess and control the puck in any meaningful way for most of the time and most games.

With the coaching staff minus Hynes still in place it’s really tough to judge how much of it is lack of structure versus players who just don’t have any kind of hockey IQ. I think that’s the most frustrating part...not knowing who or what the source of this beer league crap is. All I know is that I literally get disgusted watching it. It’s not something anyone should see from an NHL team especially with today’s parity.

I agree. I and Im sure the rest of us are all disguted. In regards to what the root of the problem is, my opinion is its coaching all the way. In my eyes, these players are talented and smart. I may be wrong, but I will withold judgment on the individuals until I see a Competent , respected coaching staff brought in here. This team is a fundamental abomination. Like you brought up , they cant cycle, they dont win enough wall battles. they also cant pass, or kill a play with physicality in any way defensively. they bobble pucks constantly. these are all simple fundamentals that cant be overlooked just because these guys are now pros, and "they should know this". You need to practice to keep sharp on the basics of the game. You could Look at the Washington game and the way they never make fundamental errors, but the argument can be made that they are the best team in the league. So then look at Columbus last night. that right there is a perfect example of coaching. that team was missing 8 starters yet the replacements all played exactly the same way and destroyed us all over the ice. Because Torts wont stand for guys not playing the right way and not executing the fundamentals.
The entire staff should have gone with Hynes, as well as the AHL staff since they are probably worse. but so be it this season. The next coaching Hire is going to make or break everything for this club. We desperately need a respected coach that can enforce and practice basic hockey and install a competent system at the NHL level. Some European influence would be great too, with all the young euros we have, they really need some good coaching to bring out their full potential.

Reactions: NJ07102

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Johnnys version is great, esp the video, but Trent wrote it, it's his song, I like em both
(remember when there was a channel on cable TV that played music videos all day and night!)
At some point there was an interview with Trent Reznor about Johnny Cash covering his song. Reznor basically said it's Cash's song now, saying something like: it's like when you break up with a girl and years later you see her married to someone else. I'm paraphrasing, but that's what I remember him saying.

Azathoth

May 25, 2017
Centre of Chaos

Yea I think the problem is they are still playing a watered down version of baldy’s “system”. I don’t think the forwards are flying the d zone as much anymore and I think they greatly reduced the frequency of the long, low percentage Hail Mary passes they were doing early in the season. But I still can’t figure out what their actual game plan is once they do gain the offensive zone.

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
At some point there was an interview with Trent Reznor about Johnny Cash covering his song. Reznor basically said it's Cash's song now, saying something like: it's like when you break up with a girl and years later you see her married to someone else. I'm paraphrasing, but that's what I remember him saying.
yeah I've read stuff too, Trent thought Johnny went through all of those things for a much longer time, it really "fit" Johnny Cash, and I'll admit, the video gives me chills its so "real"

Reactions: Nubmer6

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
I agree. I and Im sure the rest of us are all disguted. In regards to what the root of the problem is, my opinion is its coaching all the way. In my eyes, these players are talented and smart. I may be wrong, but I will withold judgment on the individuals until I see a Competent , respected coaching staff brought in here. This team is a fundamental abomination. Like you brought up , they cant cycle, they dont win enough wall battles. they also cant pass, or kill a play with physicality in any way defensively. they bobble pucks constantly. these are all simple fundamentals that cant be overlooked just because these guys are now pros, and "they should know this". You need to practice to keep sharp on the basics of the game. You could Look at the Washington game and the way they never make fundamental errors, but the argument can be made that they are the best team in the league. So then look at Columbus last night. that right there is a perfect example of coaching. that team was missing 8 starters yet the replacements all played exactly the same way and destroyed us all over the ice. Because Torts wont stand for guys not playing the right way and not executing the fundamentals.
The entire staff should have gone with Hynes, as well as the AHL staff since they are probably worse. but so be it this season. The next coaching Hire is going to make or break everything for this club. We desperately need a respected coach that can enforce and practice basic hockey and install a competent system at the NHL level. Some European influence would be great too, with all the young euros we have, they really need some good coaching to bring out their full potential.

I don’t know...on the one hand, it’s hard to imagine that Nas just allows them to make stupid boneheaded decisions with the puck in practice. At the same time...could it really be so many of our players lack NHL level IQ?

I’ve honestly never seen anything like this...well except when we played Detroit...they are the only other team I’ve seen that repeatedly gives the puck away in all three zones for 60 minutes.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Maybe a lot of these guys just aren't that good. Take a long look up and down the lineup, I don't see much other than maybe a handful of guys that could be but even thats reaching.
I’m starting to give this more credence too. Is Bratt really a top 6 guy? Is Nico really anything more than a good two way 2nd line center? Is zacha anything more than a good PKer who can chip in occasionally in a bottom 6 role (but who also tends to make boneheaded decisions with the puck 5v5)? Is Gusev something other than the typical KHL transplant who can’t translate his offensive skills to North American ice?

I’m not going to comment on Hughes because he’s an 18 year old. But these other guys are all older and with the exception of Gusev have already had several years of AHL/NHL experience.

I think the coaching is not great either but watching these guys now even after some small changes in the system have been put in place...they still look like they are not very good individually and collectively.

Reactions: deflowd

Auto Pilot

Sep 7, 2019
I'll echo Bleed in that if Shero is fired after this season, I won't shed a tear for him. His coaching decisions are baffling. The Hayden and Wood obsessions are nauseating.

And I'll agree with Eddy that he shouldn't be fired after this year. His next coaching hire has to be a home run. If we get another AHL/college hail mary, I and most of this board are going to melt down.

If they get off to this bad of a start next year, Shero has to be fired. Fans need to be intolerant of the losing. But I'm sure most of the lower bowl money burners will continue to sit on their hands.

the only college coaches I’d be willing to actually look at would be Minnesota Duluth’s given his success and Providence College’s coach.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
I’m starting to give this more credence too. Is Bratt really a top 6 guy? Is Nico really anything more than a good two way 2nd line center? Is zacha anything more than a good PKer who can chip in occasionally in a bottom 6 role (but who also tends to make boneheaded decisions with the puck 5v5)? Is Gusev something other than the typical KHL transplant who can’t translate his offensive skills to North American ice?

I’m not going to comment on Hughes because he’s an 18 year old. But these other guys are all older and with the exception of Gusev have already had several years of AHL/NHL experience.

I think the coaching is not great either but watching these guys now even after some small changes in the system have been put in place...they still look like they are not very good individually and collectively.

The only thing keeping me from totally lambasting them (totally unfair) is they're still very young. Coaching is an issue sure but having a back end that's a total disaster is a huge problem. You need some stability back there so these kids can get there feet under them, how can you ever expect them to develop when they're pinned in the zone constantly, can't break the puck out and any miscue turns into an adventure. Hall mentioned early on that they spend so much time in their own end that by the time they get possession they're tired, dump the puck in and their shift is over.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
The only thing keeping me from totally lambasting them (totally unfair) is they're still very young. Coaching is an issue sure but having a back end that's a total disaster is a huge problem. You need some stability back there so these kids can get there feet under them, how can you ever expect them to develop when they're pinned in the zone constantly, can't break the puck out and any miscue turns into an adventure. Hall mentioned early on that they spend so much time in their own end that by the time they get possession they're tired, dump the puck in and their shift is over.
Yeah I see that...but I also see them not dumping it in but trying to skate and pass through the opposition, or make the kind of plays in the neutral zone that should only be reserved for deep in the offensive zone. In this game I saw them do a drop pass in the neutral zone, not once but twice. Of course it was easily picked up by Columbus for a quick transition attack the other way. Incredibly stupid play to make in the neutral zone and they did it twice. Another thing they did twice was pass backwards from the neutral zone. One of those led to a great scoring chance for Columbus if I remember correctly. Those are just a few examples of really incredibly low percentage baffling plays they make that I don’t see other teams do. And that’s the forwards that do it just as much as the d-men.

NJ07102

Apr 15, 2012
Germany
I don’t know...on the one hand, it’s hard to imagine that Nas just allows them to make stupid boneheaded decisions with the puck in practice. At the same time...could it really be so many of our players lack NHL level IQ?

I’ve honestly never seen anything like this...well except when we played Detroit...they are the only other team I’ve seen that repeatedly gives the puck away in all three zones for 60 minutes.

And then there is the power play which is so slow, everybody is defending this easily. They pass around the perimeter, defensemen faking shots, then seam passes through 3 opponents that are intercepted every f***g time. Nobody taking the goalies sight away, nothing even remotely surprising or even creative. This goes on and on and on game after game for years by now. Just terrible.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Yeah I see that...but I also see them not dumping it in but trying to skate and pass through the opposition, or make the kind of plays in the neutral zone that should only be reserved for deep in the offensive zone. In this game I saw them do a drop pass in the neutral zone, not once but twice. Of course it was easily picked up by Columbus for a quick transition attack the other way. Incredibly stupid play to make in the neutral zone and they did it twice. Another thing they did twice was pass backwards from the neutral zone. One of those led to a great scoring chance for Columbus if I remember correctly. Those are just a few examples of really incredibly low percentage baffling plays they make that I don’t see other teams do. And that’s the forwards that do it just as much as the d-men.

If theres nothing there they should be dumping it in and using their speed on the forecheck, forcing passes or dangling through the NZ isn't going to cut it especially against a Torts team but I don't know what they're being told to do. That drop pass by Simmonds was a real head scratcher just terrible lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad