GDT: Devils vs. Avalanche - 9:00 PM MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
Saying Severson's the best defenseman on the team is incorrect and shows an over reliance on using offense and certain advanced stats to judge a defenseman.

Saying Severson's the worst defenseman on the team is also incorrect and a clear over reliance on plus minus. I have said his plus minus is a concern especially given his scoring would ostensibly help that but I'd still say Moore is worse at actual defending and Lovejoy has played worse without the scarlet number to show for it.

Almost everything here is just extremism for the sake of being extremist.

Saying Severson is our best defenseman isn't being extreme lol. It's being logical. And I'd bet your 90% of GMs would agree.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Saying Severson is our best defenseman isn't being extreme lol. It's being logical. And I'd bet your 90% of GMs would agree.

Absolutely no way 90% of GMs would agree, and thank god they wouldn't.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
There's a difference between best right now and most valuable in a trade. That's all GM's care about. Coaches care about playing the best players.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
wat. Severson is on pace for almost 35 points as a 22 year old on one of the worst offenses in the NHL. Shattenkirk is a consistent 40-50 point guy. If he was on this team, his point totals would undoubtedly take a hit. As would his +/-. And oh look, he's a -12 this year and was a -14 last year. He must stink.

You read and take in what you want to see I said plus minus is only a good or bad barometer for a player if there's a major difference. My example was the caps they should all have good +/- but they're not all great two way player becuase, but if someone had a+/ on the caps that's 150% better than the next player is bet that players a good two way player. Same goes for bad +/- like Severson and all the other reason I listed that make him below average defensivly. Also more than 50% of Damon's points came in the first 23 games he's not hitting 35 points this year. I'll live with Shatty if he can put up 50 points on this team.

As for your other post yes people said he was are best defensman this year in this thread, is that a number 1 defensman, idk semantics, but I've seen other people say he can be number one. I thought he could be a number 2 but I was wrong.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010

Most valuable? yep 90%.

'Best' 0%.

The guy has maybe the 2nd best hands, one of the best shots, one of the best outlet passes, perhaps the best vision, and is one of our top two puck luggers.

He has perhaps the worst stick-checking ability (outside of Prout/Stollery/Hulk and such smegma), is perhaps the worst in front of the net, plays odd-men rushes fairly terribly, makes bad pinches, takes some ridiculous chances in trying to break up plays, gets lost in his zone. As a 22 year old he is regularly outbattled. Not nearly physical enough (or even as he has been in the past). Regularly loses his check and gives up on plays. Routinely leaves the crease to chase behind and in the corners. Occasionally loses his poise.

In all of the 1st paragraph, Santini and Merrill are WAY behind him. In all of the second paragraph, he trails Santini and Merrill.

I would say all of the above description of Severson could have been said about Zidlicky a few years ago as well.

A valuable defenseman - you bet. Maybe our most valuable.

Our best defenseman? That's laughable and ridiculous. Andy Greene is our best defenseman because he has both sides of the coin and poise galore.

To be the best you need to be complete. I fully believe Sevs could clean up his game and be that guy with the right help and right situations. The reason behind almost that entire 2nd paragraph is: He is 22 and playing on a top pairing.

I Hate Tie DOMI

Jul 2, 2002
Ontario
Hockey 101 is dead. You cannot win in this league having 6 defensemen who play Hockey 101. It's arguable whether you ever could, but you certainly cannot do it now.

Ah yes, Ryan Ellis, that classic #3/#4 D man who plays 24 minutes a night.

Ryan Ellis is behind Subban and Josi there. You can't doubt that. That makes him a #3 there and what he should be. Not my fault that the Predators #3 Ellis and #4 Ekholm are better than anything NJ can ice so they don't play the likes of Yannick Weber and Matt Irwin more than 17 minutes a game. They have options and have 4 dmen I'd take over anybody on the Devils in a heartbeat.

Josi 25:12
Subban 24:24
Ellis 24:08
Ekholm 23:41
Irwin 17:03
Weber 11:00

Last edited:

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Forget the wins, we're better off without those anyway. The disturbing part is that other than Greene and the rotting carcass of Mike Cammalleri, without players not in the organization currently that could easily be our opening night roster next year.

If this is our opening night roster next year, Shero had a very bad offseason and it can't be emphasized enough. That would be a complete failure of an offseason.

Half of last night's forwards don't belong in the NHL and have no business playing in it full time.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Most valuable? yep 90%.

'Best' 0%.

The guy has maybe the 2nd best hands, one of the best shots, one of the best outlet passes, perhaps the best vision, and is one of our top two puck luggers.

He has perhaps the worst stick-checking ability (outside of Prout/Stollery/Hulk and such smegma), is perhaps the worst in front of the net, plays odd-men rushes fairly terribly, makes bad pinches, takes some ridiculous chances in trying to break up plays, gets lost in his zone. As a 22 year old he is regularly outbattled. Not nearly physical enough (or even as he has been in the past). Regularly loses his check and gives up on plays. Routinely leaves the crease to chase behind and in the corners. Occasionally loses his poise.

In all of the 1st paragraph, Santini and Merrill are WAY behind him. In all of the second paragraph, he trails Santini and Merrill.

I would say all of the above description of Severson could have been said about Zidlicky a few years ago as well.

Our best defenseman? That's laughable and ridiculous. Andy Greene is our best defenseman because he has both sides of the coin and poise galore.

To be the best you need to be complete. I fully believe Sevs could clean up his game and be that guy with the right help and right situations. The reason behind almost that entire 2nd paragraph is: He is 22 and playing on a top pairing.

I think this is a balanced, fair post.

I Hate Tie DOMI

Jul 2, 2002
Ontario
Most valuable? yep 90%.

'Best' 0%.

I agree with all this, except his shot. Zidlicky had a bomb, Severson doesn't even have a peashooter. I'd give John Moore best of team for shot right now.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I agree with all this, except his shot. Zidlicky had a bomb, Severson doesn't even have a peashooter. I'd give John Moore best of team for shot right now.

Most of the defense struggles at getting shots to the net. I think Quincey was actually the best at it for a while there, which should say something. Severson tries the Rafalski wrister a lot, but it isn't all that effective. Although that might be as much on the forwards not deflecting/redirecting it very well.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Billington's post spot on.

My biggest disappointment in Severson is how weak he is. He need a big offseason in the gym. I wish Scott Stevens was still on our coaching staff for Severson to learn from.

You look at Larsson's development with Stevens and how he developed the toughness and implemented physicality in his game. Severson need that badly.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I certainly haven't been that happy with Severson defensively...But we need to realize the kind of player he'd be if he was good defensively and putting up 35 points (on this team) at age 22...That's like on track to be a franchise dman...I never expected him to be a star, just a good player. He's likely gonna be average defensively and above average offensively when it's all said and done. Fine with me.

kiwidevil

People look at Larsson and think he is a good Dman, because he bodies ppl off pucks and uses a good stick. What ppl refuse to see is when he get's the puck he usually gives it back, or get's caught with it because he can't skate and is slow at making decisions.

So in one shift, Larsson may make 3 good D plays, of which he creates, by keeping the opposition in the zone the whole shift by handing the puck back 3 times.

He's like the guy at work who always looks busier than everyone else because he spends most of his time fixing his own mistakes.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Billington's post spot on.

My biggest disappointment in Severson is how weak he is. He need a big offseason in the gym. I wish Scott Stevens was still on our coaching staff for Severson to learn from.

You look at Larsson's development with Stevens and how he developed the toughness and implemented physicality in his game. Severson need that badly.

The negative with Stevens was unfortunately his ties to the previous management here, otherwise he may still be here. He was always praised here and has since been so in Minny.

Even as a player he was very astute and understood the game well, especially the little nuances that one doesn't think of but make the world of a difference if done properly as displayed so well in this clip. I hate to laugh, but most of what he talks about in the clip are things we struggle with on defense too :laugh:

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
People look at Larsson and think he is a good Dman, because he bodies ppl off pucks and uses a good stick. What ppl refuse to see is when he get's the puck he usually gives it back, or get's caught with it because he can't skate and is slow at making decisions.

So in one shift, Larsson may make 3 good D plays, of which he creates, by keeping the opposition in the zone the whole shift by handing the puck back 3 times.

He's like the guy at work who always looks busier than everyone else because he spends most of his time fixing his own mistakes.

Handing the puck back? Turnovers? Go look up how many turnovers he has. None of this is true and if he was on our team he'd be our best defensman by far.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Handing the puck back? Turnovers? Go look up how many turnovers he has. None of this is true and if he was on our team he'd be our best defensman by far.

He doesn't turn the puck over much because he doesn't have the puck that much to turn it over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad