GDT: Devils vs. Avalanche - 9:00 PM MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
He doesn't turn the puck over much because he doesn't have the puck that much to turn it over.

Ok my point still stands. Larsson is awesome and he's gone, so idk why that poster is just making up ******** about a player who's gone.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
Saying Severson's the best defenseman on the team is incorrect and shows an over reliance on using offense and certain advanced stats to judge a defenseman.

Saying Severson's the worst defenseman on the team is also incorrect and a clear over reliance on plus minus. I have said his plus minus is a concern especially given his scoring would ostensibly help that but I'd still say Moore is worse at actual defending and Lovejoy has played worse without the scarlet number to show for it.

Almost everything here is just extremism for the sake of being extremist.

If you're referring to me I never said Lovejoy was a better defender than Severson. I said he was a better defensive defensman. That's not an extreme opinion, just and unpopular one. Saying Severson has been our best defensman this year is just...yeah extreme, also insane.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
Most valuable? yep 90%.

'Best' 0%.

The guy has maybe the 2nd best hands, one of the best shots, one of the best outlet passes, perhaps the best vision, and is one of our top two puck luggers.

He has perhaps the worst stick-checking ability (outside of Prout/Stollery/Hulk and such smegma), is perhaps the worst in front of the net, plays odd-men rushes fairly terribly, makes bad pinches, takes some ridiculous chances in trying to break up plays, gets lost in his zone. As a 22 year old he is regularly outbattled. Not nearly physical enough (or even as he has been in the past). Regularly loses his check and gives up on plays. Routinely leaves the crease to chase behind and in the corners. Occasionally loses his poise.

In all of the 1st paragraph, Santini and Merrill are WAY behind him. In all of the second paragraph, he trails Santini and Merrill.

I would say all of the above description of Severson could have been said about Zidlicky a few years ago as well.

A valuable defenseman - you bet. Maybe our most valuable.

Our best defenseman? That's laughable and ridiculous. Andy Greene is our best defenseman because he has both sides of the coin and poise galore.

To be the best you need to be complete. I fully believe Sevs could clean up his game and be that guy with the right help and right situations. The reason behind almost that entire 2nd paragraph is: He is 22 and playing on a top pairing.

I think you gave his offense to much credit. I think he's a great passer, but he has no shot, lacks vision and has average hockey sense. Which isn't why he doesn't make a great PP QB . He has to work on a shot immensely.

As for him ever being a top pairing defensman I don't see it. Top 4 d man not a bad grab in pretty much the third round of a week draft. I also don't think you can trade him right now his values too low and I really think we have to get away from the idea that's he's the best young defensman we have. Since he first came up his rookie season and them got hurt and hasn't don't jack **** since.

Besides signing Shattenkirk. I'm too impressed with Santini and I think he'll be better in the long run and may even be now. He was more highly touted as a draft pick. I'm gonna stand by what I said I'll quit this site for good is Santini isn't getting more minutes next year.

kiwidevil

We are dead last in shots for per game in the NHL

And, you think we need more Dmen like Larsson and Lovejoy so we can spend more time in our D zone, then chipping it up the boards to the NZ?

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
Get over the fact Damon Severson isn't gonna be a superstar. It's pathetic how some people handle unfortunate truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad