GDT: Devils v.s. Wild: Blazing Saddles Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I just don't like being accused of being a Zajac "hater" when I say he shouldn't be with Hall. You don't put a dynamic beast like Hall with a defensive minded guy like Zajac. It's a waste. Zajac is very good at many things and is a huge part of the team. A playmaking C he is not, nor is he a great finisher.

Hall looked way more dynamic tonight than every other game. There's a reason for that. He was with an athletic freak with great offensive instincts.

I think it's okay for Zajac to play with Hall if need be, just because Hall is the kind of winger who has brought out the best offensively in Zajac. It's been a few years now since we've seen Jagr do it, but I don't think Zajac is the worst guy that could be with Hall.

Especially after it was suggested by someone to put Josefson with Hall.:help:

severian

Aug 19, 2007
Westfield
What did he do that was so wrong? Sign in the city he is from for $98 million? So illogical to hate on him for that. The guy might have prioritized family, yet he is villianized for it?

Not only that but $25 million up front. He was my kid, I'd smack him upside the head if he didn't take that money.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
I think we need a true 2nd line RW. PAP, Bennett, DSP, Speers (right now) are not that. Our left side should be fine I would think with JQ, Wood and Blandisi in Albany.

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
What did he do that was so wrong? Sign in the city he is from for $98 million? So illogical to hate on him for that. The guy might have prioritized family, yet he is villianized for it?

I loved him since he was a sophomore in highschool. I watched him live as a freshman and sophomore. He is drafted by us and appointed captain by my favorite team. f him. He can have his best friend, but i want nothing to do with him.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I think we need a true 2nd line RW. PAP, Bennett, DSP, Speers (right now) are not that. Our left side should be fine I would think with JQ, Wood and Blandisi in Albany.

18j59j178vl7ijpg.jpg

Imagine Hall-Zacha-Kovy...Oh my.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

For me personally, I think all his BS on the way out, it's been a while since I've seen a guy that adamant about staying, only to wind up leaving.

Although he's not exactly dead to me, I'm more neutral on him.

But he seemed to go out of his way to tell people he was coming back. Including his two teammates who publicly went to the media and stated they were sure he was coming back, after speaking with him and this happening only a day or two before he signed elsewhere. I really don't think Marty and Salvador would have risked making fools out of themselves by saying all that stuff just to put the fans minds at ease.

A lot of people hated Gomez and Holik and even frickin Johnny Mac and Driver for signing with the Rangers. Although Driver and Johnny Mac had much different reasons. They're families were settled in Jersey and Driver wanted to stay but no-trade clauses weren't exactly standard at the time and Lou wouldn't give him one. MacLean had a messy break up with us, but turned down more money from Toronto to sign with the Rangers, because his kids were in New Jersey still.

Gomez and Holik chased the dollar signs, but they never tried to hide it either. Especially Holik. Holik left and gave us the finger while doing it, which I actually respected because that was Holik for you. I'm over Zach, but I certainly understand people being annoyed.

In his defense though, I will say that at least he played to his potential in his last year with us, even when I would bet that he knew he was outta here after the season ended. Even though he came off as a phony in the end, he still had a right to UFA and didn't back out of a contract, unlike someone else....

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
I feel like we are the only team playing defense so far this year.

Haven't been really impressed with other teams defensively.

Could be we have the only goalie in form.

Our defense corp hasn't been THAT stellar, at least by the visual test to me, but whatever works, we're getting defensive results as a team while looking even not great at it (except for Cory).

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I am wearing that jersey right now, you shut your dirty mouth:cry:

I still have mine too. Actually wearing my Jagr shirt-jersey right now lol.

At this point, I'm more mad that I spent all that money on one of his jersey's, only for him to leave less than a year and a half after I got it.:shakehead

The silver lining is that it's so big on me now, I look like Mike Smith or Patrick Roy when I put it on.

I'd feel really dumb wearing it anyway, only because of the circumstances under the way he left.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Could be we have the only goalie in form.

Our defense corp hasn't been THAT stellar, at least by the visual test to me, but whatever works, we're getting defensive results as a team while looking even not great at it (except for Cory).

I think in this game it was good, in the Anaheim game it was good. It was alright in Tampa, so-so I'd say.

It left a lot to be desired against Florida and Boston though. Particularly because we got pinned for long period's of time in the 3rd period in both of those games. I don't remember getting pinned much at all tonight, not at even strength at least. Maybe once or twice on the PK, and even then it wasn't too bad.

I actually am surprised the Wild were credited with 29 shots tonight. Didn't seem like that many.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
At this point, I'm more mad that I spent all that money on one of his jersey's, only for him to leave less than a year and a half after I got it.:shakehead

The silver lining is that it's so big on me now, I look like Mike Smith or Patrick Roy when I put it on.

I'd feel really dumb wearing it anyway, only because of the circumstances under the way he left.

I don't even have one and now its too late, and I was a mega-fan. Not sure how i didn't get one before that, anyway.. I do have a Thrashers 3rd of his though)....

Don't feel too bad, I was planning on getting a Larsson jersey after the end of last season....and then....

Maybe i should stop committing myself to get a new jersey because they end up going once I make the emotional commitment. I'd imagine a Hall jersey should be safe now...........though.

Will you get a Kalinin Jersey if he pots more points than whatever your bet was?

Not to derail the GDT, the Kovy picture forced me....... what did everyone think of Kalinin?

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I don't even have one and now its too late, and I was a mega-fan. Not sure how i didn't get one before that, anyway.. I do have a Thrashers 3rd of his though)....

Don't feel too bad, I was planning on getting a Larsson jersey after the end of last season....and then....

Maybe i should stop committing myself to get a new jersey because they end up going once I make the emotional commitment. I'd imagine a Hall jersey should be safe now...........though.

Will you get a Kalinin Jersey if he pots more points than whatever your bet was?

Not to derail the GDT, the Kovy picture forced me....... what did everyone think of Kalinin?

He was fine. A bit rusty but that's expected

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Went to the game at the Rock. Happy to attend a win (and make a GDT for a win, ha ha). Devils still need to work on things like passing and breakouts, but any win is a good win, and two points is two points, so I won't complain. Glad to see PA get on the board again since that's what we picked him up off waivers for, and the Hall goal in OT was amazing to watch live. Both our wins this year, Hall has played a big part in, so that's encouraging.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

I'd actually be okay with wearing a Larsson Devils jersey after his departure. I think I'd be okay with wearing a Parise jersey too. It was just the way in which that player who I will not name, personally left the team. I do have a Gomez t-shirt and some Gionta stuff. I wouldn't wear the Gomez stuff for years after he left, just because it was to the Rangers. I'd certainly wear the stuff now, if they weren't so big. I never stopped wearing the Gionta stuff until it got too big for me, just because of the circumstances in which he left. He didn't leave to a rival or even wanna leave our team in the first place. I wore Gionta Devils stuff all the way until 2014 or so. I wore Claude Lemieux apparel in between 95 and 99 when he was gone too. Much different circumstances.

As far as wearing a Kalinin jersey, if someone wanted to buy me one then I'd wear it.:nod:

I thought Kalinin was fine, just keep him on the 4th line. As well as Josefson if the urge comes to re-insert him.

I do like having a 4th line that doesn't consist of Tootoo, Ruutu, O'Neal, Gionta, Farnham (8 goals be damned), etc. I certainly am happy with icing a 4th line that's not full of ''Plumbers'' and bangers or whatever.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
He almost got caught behind on a backcheck, but not sure if it was his fault being late, or someone else missed their coverage and he doubled back instead. I think Lovejoy was caught deep in OZone..... and puck went other way.

But it was a key moment in game i thought wild may score.

mike30

Jul 17, 2014
New York
i had a great view of PAP's goal from my seats but i didnt even know it went in when he scored at first

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
I'd actually be okay with wearing a Larsson Devils jersey after his departure. I think I'd be okay with wearing a Parise jersey too. It was just the way in which that player who I will not name, personally left the team. I do have a Gomez t-shirt and some Gionta stuff. I wouldn't wear the Gomez stuff for years after he left, just because it was to the Rangers. I'd certainly wear the stuff now, if they weren't so big. I never stopped wearing the Gionta stuff until it got too big for me, just because of the circumstances in which he left. He didn't leave to a rival or even wanna leave our team in the first place. I wore Gionta Devils stuff all the way until 2014 or so. I wore Claude Lemieux apparel in between 95 and 99 when he was gone too. Much different circumstances.

As far as wearing a Kalinin jersey, if someone wanted to buy me one then I'd wear it.:nod:

I thought Kalinin was fine, just keep him on the 4th line. As well as Josefson if the urge comes to re-insert him.

I do like having a 4th line that doesn't consist of Tootoo, Ruutu, O'Neal, Gionta, Farnham (8 goals be damned), etc. I certainly am happy with icing a 4th line that's not full of ''Plumbers'' and bangers or whatever.

I see... i still hope Kalinin can see some more special teams time (PK is there with bursts), but just to have a big body occasionally in front of the net on PP. Not as a PP regular, but sometimes to mix it up if things neeed it.

Interesting to note that none of those guys you mention (except for Tootoo) have jobs in NHL this season. Just with that alone should say something about this teams improvement.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I see... i still hope Kalinin can see some more special teams time (PK is there with bursts), but just to have a big body occasionally in front of the net on PP. Not as a PP regular, but sometimes to mix it up if things neeed it.

Interesting to note that none of those guys you mention (except for Tootoo) have jobs in NHL this season. Just with that alone should say something about this teams improvement.

I definitely would be fine with more PK time for Kalinin. I don't like using Hall much there, because I feel we need him for more offensive situations.

But he's done a really good job on the PK, so I can't argue with having Hall on the PK too much. I don't have a strong enough argument there with his performance.

I have a theory that our possession numbers are better because we have better guys in the bottom 6.

Tootoo, Ruutu, Gionta, Farnham, O'Neal, they might have been some of the worst possession players in the league. Or at least Ruutu in his form last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad