GDT: Devils v.s. Coyotes-Gene Wilder Encore Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I don't really see people gushing over him. I think it's more of just a pushback on those who say he isn't very good every single time he makes a mistake.

If you make a stupid mistake or three every game, you aren't very good. He can be good, but he needs to clean it up.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
95% of the Severson overhype on this board comes from Jim.

He is a really good. He is already the best defenseman (in terms of all around game) on the team and he hasn't scratched the surface of what he is going to be.

He certainly needs to cleanup certain areas of his game and I suspect we'll see that as an ongoing process that goes well beyond this year. But he is beautiful skater, has an excellent pass and the vision to match that passing ability. I'd like to see a tad bit more physical play from Damon. At 6'2 - 205 I don't think he uses body as effectively as he should. I think his shot is currently being underutilized. When he came into the league he was shooting machine.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I feel the same way that Jim does on Severson. Still plenty to improve upon, but you can see the talent and potential is there. This is definitely the year he needs to take an extra step.

It's been beaten to death here before, but I'm sure most expectations would be more tempered had he not come out guns blazing in his first professional month.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Severson has been good. He has lapses in judgement, but I'm ok with him projecting to be a Zidlicky type. You take that offence, warts and all, so long as you've got him paired with someone who can recover + shield him in the D-zone until he's matured there.

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
Severson makes too many mistakes to ever be a #1 D. His upside is a 2B defender.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Severson has been good. He has lapses in judgement, but I'm ok with him projecting to be a Zidlicky type. You take that offence, warts and all, so long as you've got him paired with someone who can recover + shield him in the D-zone until he's matured there.

He's a better all around player then Zid's. If he can bring Zid's offense, and clean up his game with maturity? Not to mention getting his man strength. Dude will be a beast.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
If you make a stupid mistake or three every game, you aren't very good. He can be good, but he needs to clean it up.

he certainly needs to clean it up, he makes some bone head plays no doubt, but the writing is on the wall. He's a good player. TOI is really the only way to rid a player of the warts we see from Sev's.

This is in no way a Gelinas situation(I feel I use this comparison too much).

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

His defense is way better than Zidlicky right now. And his offense isn't as good, at least it is not the same. Zidlicky was someone who could lead the rush and also had a very powerful shot. That is not exactly Severson's game. Severson looks to find the open man, his game is more about puck movement and vision.

On the Defensive side of things, Severson's On Ice Shots For/Against% was nearly identical to Adam Larsson's over the last two year...Sure there is competition and zone starts, but we are talking about Severson's 20 and 21 year old years.

His Corsi numbers have been among the best on the team(Defense) over the last two season both For and Against...And again we are talking about a 21 year old with 123 games experience (after last season) who really never had the benefit of a solid partner after his first 30 games.

His On-Ice goals Against are only behind Larsson and Greene over the last 2 years and this is a player who is averaging just shy of 20 minutes so far in his career (19:43 Career)

I think people are missing the many positives about Severson's performance. He is an all around defenseman and he has performing very well for this stage of his career.

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
He is a really good. He is already the best defenseman (in terms of all around game) on the team and he hasn't scratched the surface of what he is going to be.

He certainly needs to cleanup certain areas of his game and I suspect we'll see that as an ongoing process that goes well beyond this year. But he is beautiful skater, has an excellent pass and the vision to match that passing ability. I'd like to see a tad bit more physical play from Damon. At 6'2 - 205 I don't think he uses body as effectively as he should. I think his shot is currently being underutilized. When he came into the league he was shooting machine.

I think the physicality will come with age.

Now since he's playing a decent amount during the game, I'm sure he's learning how much his body can exert energy and where to exert it.

I know some of the plays he makes can be questionable at times, but I like how he's not afraid to take chances and make something happen. That instinct is something we will rely on for years to come to create offense.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Zidlicky was orders of magnitude better than Severson offensively. The comparison shouldn't even be made. This is a guy who put up 10+ goals routinely, career high 14 goals, 40+ points most years, and even 50+ once. Now Severson is better defensively already, but expecting even nearly that kind of production isn't realistic. The guy hasn't proven he can score goals whatsoever, let alone 10+.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Zidlicky was orders of magnitude better than Severson offensively. The comparison shouldn't even be made. This is a guy who put up 10+ goals routinely, career high 14 goals, 40+ points most years, and even 50+ once. Now Severson is better defensively already, but expecting even nearly that kind of production isn't realistic. The guy hasn't proven he can score goals whatsoever, let alone 10+.

He put up 10+ goals 4 times in his 14 year career. Zidlicky didn't start his NHL career until he was 26 years old. Severson is 22 years old, maybe in 4 years we can begin to compare Severson to a retired NHL veteran?

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
He put up 10+ goals 4 times in his 14 year career. Zidlicky didn't start his NHL career until he was 26 years old. Severson is 22 years old, maybe in 4 years we can begin to compare Severson to a retired NHL veteran?

He doesn't have nearly the offensive ability or shot Zids had. Not close. I don't care how old he is. Maybe stop anointing him our best overall dman if he's only 22?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
He doesn't have nearly the offensive ability or shot Zids had. Not close. I don't care how old he is. Maybe stop anointing him our best overall dman if he's only 22?

Again, It is a poor comparison in my view. They are very different types of defensemen.

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
It's laughable how much Devils fans hate on Severson. He's one of our best players already and he's one of the top 4 most valuable players moving forward on this team. Sure he makes a few mistakes almost every defender does that. But if you don't see a top 4 defender by now when watching him or if you don't think he's night and day better than guys like Quincey, Lovejoy, and Moore than I have no idea what games your watching.

And yes he's going to be better than Zidlicky, like much better. Severson is one of the best young defenseman in the game and everyone should recognize that

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Again, It is a poor comparison in my view. They are very different types of defensemen.

Auvitu is far closer in style to Zidlicky than Severson.

A guy like Severson doesn't have the ability to play that shifty offensive game than Auvitu and Zidlicky play. Severson is more along the lines of a lesser Duncan Keith, I'm trying to think of a comparable at the moment but it eludes me. He's the type of defender that gets by using who plays more of a cerebral game.

I do like that the staff seems to be letting him play his game. In order for Severson to develop, he has to be able to make the risky plays and learn what can and can't be done. At the least, he has to learn how to make those plays without having it seriously cost us if he makes a mistake. His spin around move at the blue line against Minnesota could've backfired, but he did it when the Devils couldn't have gotten burned.

Honestly, I think the GA stat has way more to do with Greene than Severson. Greene has looked very poor so far, especially to past years.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
It's laughable how much Devils fans hate on Severson. He's one of our best players already and he's one of the top 4 most valuable players moving forward on this team. Sure he makes a few mistakes almost every defender does that. But if you don't see a top 4 defender by now when watching him or if you don't think he's night and day better than guys like Quincey, Lovejoy, and Moore than I have no idea what games your watching.

And yes he's going to be better than Zidlicky, like much better. Severson is one of the best young defenseman in the game and everyone should recognize that

Yeah! Listen to this guy. :laugh:

In the game? Well I'd hold back on that. Severson is good but there are a lot of very good young defenders in the game right now.

Geeze, just look at Severson's draft year of Lidholm, Rielly, Gostisbehere, Dumba, Trouba, Ceci, Koekkoek, Maatta. Those are some VERY good young defenders.

Severson is currently a top 20 point producer(19th) and 17th in games played from his draft class. But there 8 other D men from 2012 who produced more.

He definitely has the potential to be one of the best of his draft class but we are still a very long way away from knowing.

I Hate Tie DOMI

Jul 2, 2002
Ontario
When's the last time he scored a goal? It feels like it's been a calendar year lol.

He's fine for a 22 year old but I certainly don't understand the gushing either.

Not trying to start things again, but his last 3 goals were on.

December 11, 2015 (49 GP since)
April 11, 2015 (78 GP since)
October 25, 2014 (121 GP since)

Since October 26, 2014
GP 121GP 2G 33A 35PTS -32+/-

Prior to October 25, 2014
GP 8GP 4G 3A 7PTS +6+/-

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Auvitu is far closer in style to Zidlicky than Severson.

A guy like Severson doesn't have the ability to play that shifty offensive game than Auvitu and Zidlicky play. Severson is more along the lines of a lesser Duncan Keith, I'm trying to think of a comparable at the moment but it eludes me. He's the type of defender that gets by using who plays more of a cerebral game.

I do like that the staff seems to be letting him play his game. In order for Severson to develop, he has to be able to make the risky plays and learn what can and can't be done. At the least, he has to learn how to make those plays without having it seriously cost us if he makes a mistake. His spin around move at the blue line against Minnesota could've backfired, but he did it when the Devils couldn't have gotten burned.

Honestly, I think the GA stat has way more to do with Greene than Severson. Greene has looked very poor so far, especially to past years.

I think a Ryan Suter is a good comparable? As far as style is concerned.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Not trying to start things again, but his last 3 goals were on.

December 11, 2015 (49 GP since)
April 11, 2015 (78 GP since)
October 25, 2014 (121 GP since)

Since October 26, 2014
GP 121GP 2G 33A 35PTS -32+/-

Prior to October 25, 2014
GP 8GP 4G 3A 7PTS +6+/-

Not understanding the point?

He's had more primary assist last year than all but 3 other Devils. Only Cammalleri, Zajac and Palmieri had more first assist last season. (Blandisi was tied with Severson)

Last season only 2 players had more 5v5 assist than Severson. Cammalleri and Zajac.

He's obviously driving the offense when he's playing.

https://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/ra...18&type=individual&sort=iassists&sortdir=DESC

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

He's had more primary assist last year than all but 3 other Devils. Only Cammalleri, Zajac and Palmieri had more first assist last season. (Blandisi was tied with Severson)

Last season only 2 players had more 5v5 assist than Severson. Cammalleri and Zajac.

https://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/ra...18&type=individual&sort=iassists&sortdir=DESC

Last year we were the 30th ranked offense in the NHL with particularly horrible depth and 5 on 5 play. Who else on this team was gonna produce offense other than the guys you listed? Everyone else was bottom of the barrel terrible or playing the toughest minutes in the NHL.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Even over just six games Severson is playing more physically and also more calmly and with more confidence handling the puck. He's already our number one defenseman and a key piece for building our future.

I just don't get the doubters about this guy.

I just don't get how you could possibly say he has surpassed Andy Greene as our number one defenseman. I think that's pretty dumb.

I Hate Tie DOMI

Jul 2, 2002
Ontario

I was answering a question that was raised. I answered it. I wasn't talking to your points or anything. Do your advanced stats say he scored more goals than the 2 has he scored in 120+ games? Haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad