GDT: Devils v.s. Coyotes-Gene Wilder Encore Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

MNDevilsfan

Jan 9, 2015
St. Paul, MN
Severson's shooting percentage was like 1.1% last season. He generated a decent amount of offense, but suffered from some horrible luck.

I think he's been pretty solid so far this year. Big step up in quality of competition he's facing and his possession numbers haven't taken a nosedive, so that's encouraging. 4 assists in 6 games isn't too shabby either.

I Hate Tie DOMI

Jul 2, 2002
Ontario
Severson's shooting percentage was like 1.1% last season. He generated a decent amount of offense, but suffered from some horrible luck.

I think he's been pretty solid so far this year. Big step up in quality of competition he's facing and his possession numbers haven't taken a nosedive, so that's encouraging. 4 assists in 6 games isn't too shabby either.

You can call it luck. I say his shot isn't very good and unless it's a wide open net, he's not scoring with it. I can't recall if any of his goals were ever scored from the point (it's been awhile since I've seen one go in mind you)

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
You can call it luck. I say his shot isn't very good and unless it's a wide open net, he's not scoring with it. I can't recall if any of his goals were ever scored from the point (it's been awhile since I've seen one go in mind you)

Most of them were scored from the point. I don't even remember his only goal last season or who it came against, so I'm not sure on that one.

His first goal was against Florida and from the point in 14-15. He also scored two from the point in a game against Washington a couple games later. I think his first goal against Florida deflected off a Florida player.

So I guess at least half his goals. He had the one against Ottawa and another against Florida in the 14-15 finale. Neither from the point. I think the one in Ottawa was beyond the circles though.

Hockey reference has his only goal of last year being against Detroit on December 11th. I remember the game, Palmieri scored on a breakaway in OT. I don't remember his goal much. It was assisted by Tootoo and Gionta though LOL.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
We don't get to complain that Greene's underrated around the league when WE underrate him. Saying Severson's better/more well-rounded/whatever than Greene is being reactionary and going too far one way to people going too far the other way on Severson.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Severson got absolutely DESTROYED in OT during the first game, I don't know where this "physical" praise is coming from. Yeah, he's been playing well, and I'm a big fan, but physical he is NOT. He has a looooooong way to go before physicality is a positive in describing his game.

MNDevilsfan

Jan 9, 2015
St. Paul, MN

I'm not saying I think he's necessarily going to become an amazing goal scorer, but I doubt shooting at a rate that's akin to 1 goal per 100 shots is sustainable for any NHL player. If he keeps generating chances he'll chip in a few. Anyway, if he keeps piling up assists near the rate he's established early on I wont be complaining if he doesn't score many himself at all.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Severson got absolutely DESTROYED in OT during the first game, I don't know where this "physical" praise is coming from. Yeah, he's been playing well, and I'm a big fan, but physical he is NOT. He has a looooooong way to go before physicality is a positive in describing his game.

I don't think there was any physical praise? Unless I missed it....I was saying the exact opposite. That he has to use his large frame more effectively.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I think a Ryan Suter is a good comparable? As far as style is concerned.

Suter/Keith all play that similar style. Simple, effective, and they can play tons of minutes because of it.

I don't think there was any physical praise? Unless I missed it....I was saying the exact opposite. That he has to use his large frame more effectively.

I agree. He's never going to be physical, because that's not his game, but he has to learn how to use his size and reach to make plays -- defensively, offensively, and in transition.

But in order to get there, he has to be given the freedom to play his game and make mistakes. He's not going to learn any other way. There's been a few bad moments so far, but I think the good have outweighed the bad.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Zidlicky - who for every positive offensive play made 4 horrendous defensive ones and took way too many penalties for not playing good D at all.

His last year that was the case, but before that I think the positive outweighed the negative.

I'm not sure why he's being brought up with Severson though. I don't think they're that similar in playing style. Zidlicky was way more aggressive offensively and was always up in the play.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
I will never say a bad word about Zidlicky I loved that man. I got more excited seeing Zids jump in the play and skate around the net protecting the puck with one hand on his stick than I did when Kovy scored. Dude was an absolute wild card.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
His last year that was the case, but before that I think the positive outweighed the negative.

I'm not sure why he's being brought up with Severson though. I don't think they're that similar in playing style. Zidlicky was way more aggressive offensively and was always up in the play.

He seemed to take those penalties every year he was here, but I do think he did more good than bad.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Zidlicky also had a cannon of a shot, probably the best on our back end aside from Gelinas in quite some time

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Zidlicky - who for every positive offensive play made 4 horrendous defensive ones and took way too many penalties for not playing good D at all.

Didn't know an NHL coach posts here - given how much you hate excitement, that's the only thing I can infer. Very cool. Anyway, scoring goals and creating things as an offensive player is going to result in mistakes that result in goals against sometimes.

Zidlicky did take too many penalties but he was a very skilled offensive player.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
ahem.

rolston on the point PP……a cannon big time right into the glas high and wide

He had one of the hardest shots in Devils history, but I was more so just talking about from a defensemen standpoint.

:laugh: I "see" what you did there

remember in 2000 when Arnott would play the left point on the umbrella PP setup and one-time them?

*drool*

Sykora - Rafalski - Arnott

Elias - Holik

Arnott had a cannon too and I love referring to this particular goal of his that displays it so eloquently

The ringing of the pipe is music to the ears

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Didn't know an NHL coach posts here - given how much you hate excitement, that's the only thing I can infer. Very cool. Anyway, scoring goals and creating things as an offensive player is going to result in mistakes that result in goals against sometimes.

Zidlicky did take too many penalties but he was a very skilled offensive player.
I didn't know you drank heavily? I do too. We should get together and have a few one night.

Last edited:

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
He seemed to take those penalties every year he was here, but I do think he did more good than bad.

True on the penalties. He did seem to get a hooking call every couple games, usually after getting caught pinching. But given that we had zero creativity on defense he did what he was asked to. We could actually use that kind of aggressiveness now. Auvitu has a bit of it in him, but I think he plays a little safer of a game.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
True on the penalties. He did seem to get a hooking call every couple games, usually after getting caught pinching. But given that we had zero creativity on defense he did what he was asked to. We could actually use that kind of aggressiveness now. Auvitu has a bit of it in him, but I think he plays a little safer of a game.

Auvitu has been lucky not to be burned yet, but he certainly does pinch aggressively. On Henrique's goal the other night he was below the opponent's goal line which is what caused the play to go awry for Arizona.

Jim: Haha, just having some fun, plenty sober.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad