GDT: Devils v. Panthers! (Red Wings Edition)

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
And something needs to be done about this defense we iced tonight. That's 2 games in a row now and 3 of the last 5 games where we've allowed 39 or 40 shots on goal. That's Ottawa levels of incompetence.

40 shots on goal is completely unacceptable, I wonder if Cory's conditioning is in the right place if he has to face 40 shots the next game?

Get Warsofsky and Helgeson outta there ASAP. Put Mozik and Schlemko back in. I'm not a Jon Merrill fan at all, but we weren't allowing close to 40 shots on goal at all when the defense was healthy for the first 4 or 5 months of the season. If anybody thinks Helgeson is still good (because I know there's not too many that disagree on Warsofsky) you need to watch the replay of this game and count how many times we couldn't move the puck up the ice or leave our zone with these two grenade handlers. And they were even playing on different pairings most of the night. Larsson and Greene were literally the only competent pairing. Severson and Moore (Moore was terrible too) were each saddled with one of them and were useless too.

Helgeson reminds me of the grenade handlers that couldn't skate, the ones Lou and Stevens used to love around here. I'd take Peter Harrold over either of these guys. Helgeson and Warsofsky are like when we had Harrold and Fraser both in the same games last year and that's why we look like the Devils of last year in some of these games. Warsofsky and Helgeson are better than Fraser, but both are worse than Harrold for my money. So it negates things.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I would've liked to have seen any of these guys get a look over Warsofsky... Scarlett, Burlon, Hrarabenka (sp?)

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I would've liked to have seen any of these guys get a look over Warsofsky... Scarlett, Burlon, Hrarabenka (sp?)

I like Hrabrabenka (or however his name is spelled) better than Waiver Wire, and it would be nice to see what Scarlett or Burlon could do instead of seeing Waiver Wire getting too much time to prove that he is indeed a dud as an NHL defenseman.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
part of me was pissed warsofsky tried to dangle jagr, but after thinking for a while i totally get what he was trying to do, it's just more of a testament to how good jagr is, not how bad warsofsky is. had that been anyone else, he prob would've been able to make that move around the panther. sevo knew he was to blame as well for not lifting the stick of whomever it was that scored

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
It's not one move that's turned me against Waiver Wire. It's the fact that most of the time he's on the ice we're trapped in our own zone, and he's gifted for some reason incomprehensible to anyone except Hynes PP time, which he proceeds to kill any momentum in. Watching Waiver Wire it just strikes me how much opportunity has been given to someone who has done almost nothing except squander it. If he's on our defense next season, it's going to be a rough year for sure.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
It's not one move that's turned me against Waiver Wire. It's the fact that most of the time he's on the ice we're trapped in our own zone, and he's gifted for some reason incomprehensible to anyone except Hynes PP time, which he proceeds to kill any momentum in. Watching Waiver Wire it just strikes me how much opportunity has been given to someone who has done almost nothing except squander it. If he's on our defense next season, it's going to be a rough year for sure.

You need to save some hate for Helgy too.
Neither belong in the NHL.

I want Warsofsky out of the organization altogether.
He's awful and soft.

Helgy is a grenade handler and also in poor condition.
He's gassed after 20 seconds.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
You need to save some hate for Helgy too.
Neither belong in the NHL.

I want Warsofsky out of the organization altogether.
He's awful and soft.

Helgy is a grenade handler and also in poor condition.
He's gassed after 20 seconds.

Helgeson has been awful as well, and Moore has been having mental breakdowns. These last few games, we've had three defensemen in the lineup who couldn't defend at the NHL level, and I don't think we need three guesses to figure out who they were.

Last game was just embarrassing to watch, and I fear Tampa might be even more of a fiasco. Just hope we can pull it together at the Prudential Center for home fans and end on somewhat of a high note.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Helgeson has been awful as well, and Moore has been having mental breakdowns. These last few games, we've had three defensemen in the lineup who couldn't defend at the NHL level, and I don't think we need three guesses to figure out who they were.

Last game was just embarrassing to watch, and I fear Tampa might be even more of a fiasco. Just hope we can pull it together at the Prudential Center for home fans and end on somewhat of a high note.

Yep, agree with all points.

Moore should be converted to forward, he's only been effective in OT.

They can easily get run out of TB if Cory doesn't stand on his head.

They have played well in the last 4 home games and hope it continues next week.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Yep, agree with all points.

Moore should be converted to forward, he's only been effective in OT.

They can easily get run out of TB if Cory doesn't stand on his head.

They have played well in the last 4 home games and hope it continues next week.

Interesting suggestion to try to convert Moore to a forward. The main problem with him seems to be his hockey IQ isn't very good (as we were warned by fans of other teams he had played for), so he just makes bad decisions at horrible times. Being a forward might compensate for some of those issues and let him play a bit simpler a game where he might be less prone to mental lapses.

At home, I really hope they play well in front of our fans. Don't want anything close to the last home game against the Rangers last season. That was a horror show.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'd add Helgeson too

Agreed.

He's a 7th NHL defenseman on a good day, and I'm not even sure that he's an average one of those. My buddy who I was with last night is the one who has had the eagle eye for how awful Helgeson is, long before I did. He happened to be at the LA game last month, as he was visiting the LA area to play a show and his fiance's mother lives out there. I was telling him how they were praising the almost 4 minute shift from them on the broadcast, and he went on a rant about how much he sucks.

Helgeson reminds me of 2013 Salvador, not quite as bad as the last we saw Salvador, but the lockout season Salvador and maybe parts of the 13-14 season.

These are the types of grenade handlers/mediocre skaters that old fashioned GM's like Lou and Dean Lombardi love having on the roster. But it was Shero who gave him the one way for next year. Shero also was the one that signed Scuderi a couple years ago, so maybe he likes them too.

I don't think any of those other defensemen like Hrabarenka and Scarlett are probably any better than Warsofsky and Helgeson. But that doesn't mean those two are good. I did think Mozik looked better, but he's only played a few games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad