Confirmed with Link: Devils trade Reilly Walsh to Boston for Shane Bowers

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
That makes perfect sense. However, when it comes to running the farm, a lot of perfect sense has been ignored. There is no way of figuring that Nemec will be back in Utica.

I believe he needs another season so he can play at least 70 games in NJ. He should be in a top 2 pairing. He should be the PP QB. He should be on the PK. He should be the go to guy on D.

If he makes the roster and gets ice time here and there, that's not the way to develop a future star at 19. He needs to be a regular defender at 19. If that isn't how he will be used in NJ, then Utica is where he belongs doing just what I detailed above.
he wil have his chance in camp and we will have to see if NJ signs a veteran righty to play on a third pair in NJ to let Nemec have a bigger role in Utica this season before he makes the jump to full time duty in NJ.

Reactions: Bad Goalie

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
he wil have his chance in camp and we will have to see if NJ signs a veteran righty to play on a third pair in NJ to let Nemec have a bigger role in Utica this season before he makes the jump to full time duty in NJ.
Agreed.

That is absolutely how it's going to pan out. I hope the decision works out for Simon. He's the guy whose career is in the hands of Fitz and Co. Let's hope they utilize the best options. Last year was handled perfectly. Keep going Fitz! Do the right thing.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Sponsor
Agreed.

That is absolutely how it's going to pan out. I hope the decision works out for Simon. He's the guy whose career is in the hands of Fitz and Co. Let's hope they utilize the best options. Last year was handled perfectly. Keep going Fitz! Do the right thing.
Brodeur gave an interview where he said the organization hopes to not rush prospects anymore. Fingers crossed. It still strikes me as weird that the big club doesn't see the need for centers at Utica. I agree with you that a good Utica club makes for a better incubator for the NJ prospects.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Thank you for the light back slap. LOL

There are not a lot of NHL fans that see it that way.
To be fair, it's something that the NHL does to themselves. The NHL has never had any opinion on clubs putting down roots with their AHL affiliates. Some have long relationships but some teams have bounced around. NJ is one of those teams. Devils fans have had Albany, Utica, Binghamton, and maybe I'm missing another one somewhere in there which breaks continuity and often prevents big club fans from getting too attached. I think a good AHL organization will lay good groundwork for an NHL prospect and continuity and good coaching and a completive team are part of that.

Reactions: Bad Goalie

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I said it in the team thread not realizing this got its own thread lol, but the writing was on the wall even before last season's acquisitions when Fitzgerald emphasized that he wanted guys on defense who had length, could skate and move the puck but also not lose sight of their fundamentals and primary responsibility on the backend. This is very much what lead to them moving on from Ty Smith as quickly as they did.

You knew Walsh didn't stand a chance with that type of mandate. Once Marino was brought in and Nemec was drafted solidifying the right side for years to come, he was destined to get moved sooner than later.

All the best to him, hope he carves out a role somehow.
And in doing so, another Shero d-man bites the dust. Small, poor skating offensive minded d'men were def a thing during his tenure.

I do like taking shots at the d-men (and the lack of d-men) Shero brought in.

Reactions: My3Sons

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I do wish we were able to snag a pick in the 3rd-5th round region for him. Not sure about Bowers. Not even sure if he moves the needle for Utica.
I'm sure if someone was willing to give up a 3rd or a 4th, we would have jumped on that. This indicates no one was.

I do wonder if the Dev's think there is some potential upside to Bowers. The stats don't indicate that there is, but maybe the scouts saw it as being worth a shot.

Reactions: forceten

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
He has played center in Colorado, but Providence used him at a wing. H'e's listed as a C/RW. His numbers, whether at center or wing, are .33 PPG over the course of 4 seasons. Aarne Talvitie, who was Utica's #4C while switching out to RW for some games here and there, has recorded .28 PPG over his 2+ AHL seasons. Aarne was also a regualr on the PK and played a defensive center role. I doubt from what info I'm getting that Shane is actually more valuable than Talvitie, whom most fans hoped would be moved or released. So, when he opted to go back to Europe when the season ended, it was not a heartbreak to the Utica faithful if it meant he would be replaced by a more productive center. It appears that Bowers is not. and Aarne would have been a better choice at this time..
Bowers has always been more of defensive center prospect and he’s not an offensive driver.

He might intrigue the Devils as having 4th line potential, he has some speed and is a smart player. Some of his struggles in the AHL are injury related.

But no, he’s not 1 of 2 the top six centers Utica needs and currently do not have.

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Bowers has always been more of defensive center prospect and he’s not an offensive driver.

He might intrigue the Devils as having 4th line potential, he has some speed and is smart player. Some of his struggles in the AHL are injury related.

But no, he’s not 1 of 2 the top six centers Utica needs and currently do not have.
That's the gist I'm picking up on Bowers. He might be an excellent choice at #4 with his defensive abilities. Maybe he becomes more with time or can move up a slot with injuries, but as we both have repeated ad nauseum since last September, "No top 1 or 2 Centers on the roster!"

The top centers are currently free agents. If NJ waits until the time they did last season, it will be Pinho, Stevens, and Hutchison avialable types once again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad