Confirmed with Link: Devils trade Reilly Walsh to Boston for Shane Bowers

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
jesus, i would have thought he would have more value than basically a contract dump for a guy who has zero chance of playing in the NHL. assumed you could get a 3rd or 4th. im not gonna harp on it too much but i would have almost rather just lost him on waivers. at least walsh has some potential NHL upside.
A 3rd or 4th isn’t realistic whatsoever. Probably a 6th at best. Does Wash really have much if any NHL upside at this point?

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
dominos-falling.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Cheddabombs

Maritime Hockey

Aug 14, 2021
NB,NS,PEI
Been following Bowers since he's made the jump to pro and i think this is a great fit for him.

He's had some good stints in the AHL but has never had the opportunity to play top AHL minutes, mostly due to how deep Colorado and Boston are. He did play one game for Colorado last season but got hurt pretty early in the game.

His numbers are never going to wow anybody but he still does have potential to be a 3rd line guy in the NHL that can play on the PK. (That's best case scenario).

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
IMG_1794.jpeg

Two very huge blunders by RayFitz

You would think Fitz would have learned after he saw Ray throw MacDonald away several years ago. Walsh is a PPG player in the NHL.

MacDonald was a 0.5 PPG player in the NHL the next season.

Both moves are much more indefensible than the time Lou waived Urbom, who was then picked up by Oates and WSH.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
If people have examples of 24 year olds who have ~140 AHL GP and 1 NHL GP getting a 4th round pick as a return I would love to see them. (Bonus points if that 24 year old was picked in the 3rd round originally like Walsh.)

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
View attachment 721835
Two very huge blunders by RayFitz

You would think Fitz would have learned after he saw Ray throw MacDonald away several years ago. Walsh is a PPG player in the NHL.

MacDonald was a 0.5 PPG player in the NHL the next season.

Both moves are much more indefensible than the time Lou waived Urbom, who was then picked up by Oates and WSH.
So when I made that I knew you'd react to it this way bc of his mini meltdown over losing MacDonald. (I was a little miffed too though)

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
It was never going to happen for Walsh here. I’m glad he might get chance somewhere else.

Bowers is exclusively AHL forward depth.
"DEPTH" is the word. As long as he isn't being considered as key center in the top 4.

Nemec pretty much blocked out any chance he would suit up for the Devils this year. Sucks we lost him for an AHLer but that's what this deal probably ultimately will be. An AHLer for AHLer. I hope Walsh gets a bigger chance with the Bruins. Can't blame him for possibly asking to be moved and now he will be playing for his hometown organization.
In AHL Providence.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Yeah league viewed him as AHL fodder, which he probably is.

So we got better positional fit AHL fodder in return.

You can dump on Reilly all you want, but he was not "AHL fodderr". This past season he wqas #2 in scoring for the Comets. #2 doesn't make him "fodder". The previous year he finished #5 behind a foursome of outstanding players at the AHL level - Chase DeLeo, Fabian Zetterlund, A. J. Greer, and Alex Holtz. Those 4 are definitely not "fodder".

Your take that Utica received better positional fodder is flat out wrong. Shane Bowers has never been among the top scorers on his AHL teams. He has 4 seasons behind him and has put up, on average, .33 PPG or 1 point every 3 games. His numbers were lower than all of the Utica centers last season other than offense starved Aarne Talvitie (.28 PPG over 3 seasons, but that's not far behind Shane's .33 PPG) and their numbers were not nearly AHL top center numbers. However, it looks like Shane didn't even play center in his 20 games with Providence last season. He was a wing.

In contrast, Reilly has produced a .6 PPG the past 2 seasons. as a D-man.

Boston received nothing less than a top AHL D-man who can be a big help to their AHL farm in Providence.
The Comets received as you state an "AHL fodder" depth forward and not even a true AHL level center which they and the NJ prospect forwards are desperate for.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
When I say AHL fodder, I just mean a guy who isn’t going to make it in the NHL. That’s it. I don’t mean disrespect to career AHL guys, I love minor league hockey and respect its importance developmentally.

If you think this is a meaningful downgrade, I’ll take your word for it. You definitely watch more of these guys than I do.

But ultimately, I’m an NHL fan, so this is of muted importance to me because neither one of these guys is ever getting a Devils spot.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
he's not a center?
He has played center in Colorado, but Providence used him at a wing. H'e's listed as a C/RW. His numbers, whether at center or wing, are .33 PPG over the course of 4 seasons. Aarne Talvitie, who was Utica's #4C while switching out to RW for some games here and there, has recorded .28 PPG over his 2+ AHL seasons. Aarne was also a regualr on the PK and played a defensive center role. I doubt from what info I'm getting that Shane is actually more valuable than Talvitie, whom most fans hoped would be moved or released. So, when he opted to go back to Europe when the season ended, it was not a heartbreak to the Utica faithful if it meant he would be replaced by a more productive center. It appears that Bowers is not. and Aarne would have been a better choice at this time..

• Wow
Reactions: OmNomNom

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Honest question: Does this trade do more to help Uticas center depth or hurt their defensive depth?
It does not help their center depth on paper at this time. They have an adequate number of D-men, but whether any of them can handle the PP QB assignment is unknown.

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Vilen and Misyul inbound, so our D depth down there is fine, although very LD heavy.
"although very LD heavy"

Very doesn't describe it.

9 D-listed. Counting Nemec only 2 are RD and 7 LD.

If Nemec sticks in NJ, it's 1 RD and 7 LD.

Even more work for those constructing the AHL roster.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
You'd think that Nemec will be force fed those minutes if he isn't with NJ.
That makes perfect sense. However, when it comes to running the farm, a lot of perfect sense has been ignored. There is no way of figuring that Nemec will be back in Utica.

I believe he needs another season so he can play at least 70 games in NJ. He should be in a top 2 pairing. He should be the PP QB. He should be on the PK. He should be the go to guy on D.

If he makes the roster and gets ice time here and there, that's not the way to develop a future star at 19. He needs to be a regular defender at 19. If that isn't how he will be used in NJ, then Utica is where he belongs doing just what I detailed above.

Reactions: Nubmer6 and My3Sons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad