Confirmed with Link: Devils trade Reilly Walsh to Boston for Shane Bowers

TF1970

May 9, 2021
jesus, i would have thought he would have more value than basically a contract dump for a guy who has zero chance of playing in the NHL. assumed you could get a 3rd or 4th. im not gonna harp on it too much but i would have almost rather just lost him on waivers. at least walsh has some potential NHL upside.

Reactions: HBK27

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
jesus, i would have thought he would have more value than basically a contract dump for a guy who has zero chance of playing in the NHL. assumed you could get a 3rd or 4th. im not gonna harp on it too much but i would have almost rather just lost him on waivers. at least walsh has some potential NHL upside.
He sucks, he had a resurgence with fans the last yr or so but he's extremely one dimensional and 6 yrs removed from his draft yr. fodder

Reactions: Forge

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Not entirely sure what Boston is doing over there.

Move out Hall for two NHL/AHL defenders and then add another in Walsh.

Was hoping Walsh brought back someone closer to potentially having an NHL impact like him. Bowers seems like he hasn’t developed too well so far. More of a move to get Utica another center it seems.

Reactions: My3Sons

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
What this trade may be telling is that the NHL possibly doesn’t think Walsh has NHL upside.

The Devils certainly treated him like a prospect without an NHL future.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Nemec pretty much blocked out any chance he would suit up for the Devils this year. Sucks we lost him for an AHLer but that's what this deal probably ultimately will be. An AHLer for AHLer. I hope Walsh gets a bigger chance with the Bruins. Can't blame him for possibly asking to be moved and now he will be playing for his hometown organization.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
Walsh is a dime a dozen prospect.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
It is odd that in theory he'd get a better chance with the Bruins though? To me this says that the league pretty much valued both guys as AHL depth at this point.

Devils arguably have the best RHD situation in the league, it's not a slight on Walsh but it obviously doesn't help his case that no one has seen him play at the NHL level.

Reactions: Bad Goalie

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Not entirely sure what Boston is doing over there.

Move out Hall for two NHL/AHL defenders and then add another in Walsh.

Was hoping Walsh brought back someone closer to potentially having an NHL impact like him. Bowers seems like he hasn’t developed too well so far. More of a move to get Utica another center it seems.

They're probably hoping one of the Mitchell/Regula/Walsh can stick as a 3rd pairing RD for under a million.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Devils arguably have the best RHD situation in the league, it's not a slight on Walsh but it obviously doesn't help his case that no one has seen him play at the NHL level.
And Casey clearly passed him as a prospect...but how do the Bruins wind up being the landing spot if he was gonna get NHL minutes anywhere? The team that was so loaded they just set a points record?

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
And Casey clearly passed him as a prospect...but how do the Bruins wind up being the landing spot if he was gonna get NHL minutes? The team that was so loaded they just set a points record?

They're going to look very different next year. Team could legit have Zacha as their 1C with the center retirements, Ullmark could be dumped for Swayman, a few dmen could be out too. First year of the Pasta and Zacha deals too.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
kinda crazy how loaded the D backlog was

Severson was traded, they are going to let Graves walk, Muk was traded, and now Walsh was basically given away

and yet we're all still completely fine with it

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Honest question: Does this trade do more to help Uticas center depth or hurt their defensive depth?

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
And Casey clearly passed him as a prospect...but how do the Bruins wind up being the landing spot if he was gonna get NHL minutes anywhere? The team that was so loaded they just set a points record?
And they also received Mitchell and Regula from the Blackhawks for the Hall trade. Both of them are like 24 and 22 years old , right around the same age as Walsh with less games in the AHL. Makes him competing for a spot in the NHL lineup a little harder even with the Bruins having a good blue line. Walsh looked alright the 1 game he played in the NHL. I still think he can be a 3rd pairing Dman , hopefully Boston offers him more opportunity. If it was the Devils of 2015 to 2021he probably would of gotten more games. Atleast our system can weed out players like this and not have huge expectations for finge talents.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad