Devils Team Discussion (team/player news and notes) ‎2015 offseason IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoonDragn

Mar 28, 2007
Maryland
Good news. Are all of our preseason games being televised?

Mon Sep 21, 2015 Devils Rangers
7:00 PM MSG+
Wed Sep 23, 2015 Devils Islanders
Sat Sep 26, 2015 Rangers Devils
7:00 PM MSG+, NHLN-US

As far as I know those are the games televised...

StnTwnDevil

May 15, 2012
NJ
Yeah, PDB just never really so confident or like he had a definite direction, and he made a lot of mumbling excuses. Hynes just seems so much more assured of himself and what he plans to achieve. He makes you want to trust in him,while PDB never had that kind of presence.

You don't think that way of evaluating coaches is a bit shallow? If this team looks competitive and they're no lower than 5th from the bottom of the league by the end of the season, then the guy at least did a good job. If they are in a playoff race, then he did a great job. To me, that's where the evaluation should really start. Then you look to see how he impacted individuals. Press Conferences are last on the list for me.

Comparing Hynes to Deboer at this stage, just doesn't make sense.

Outside of the fans on this forum who have very specific arbitrary requirements for a coach, Deboer was considered a very good coach.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
PL3 was one of two guys rotating and not having a permanent spot on his scrimmage team. I bet if it was a regular season game against the Rangers or Flyers he would have had a permanent spot though!:sarcasm:

And isn't this the second time in the last two or three seasons that Patty missed time in training camp/preseason games?

I know Jagr did in the 13-14 camp, I think Patty did too. Or maybe it was last year when Patty missed some time in camp? Either way, I seem to remember it being one of these last two years.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
You don't think that way of evaluating coaches is a bit shallow? If this team looks competitive and they're no lower than 5th from the bottom of the league by the end of the season, then the guy at least did a good job. If they are in a playoff race, then he did a great job. To me, that's where the evaluation should really start. Then you look to see how he impacted individuals. Press Conferences are last on the list for me.

Outside of the fans on this forum who have very specific arbitrary requirements for a coach, Deboer was considered a very good coach.

It wasn't meant to be a comprehensive evaluation. Just a simple comparison of interview styles. We still very much don't know how Hynes will turn out. We can only hope for the best.

Devilsgrl35

Feb 15, 2009
New York
Mon Sep 21, 2015 Devils Rangers
Wed Sep 23, 2015 Devils Islanders
Sat Sep 26, 2015 Rangers Devils
7:00 PM MSG+, NHLN-US

As far as I know those are the games televised...

I thought I had read the games vs the Flyers would be televised. I guess I made that up or misread. Thanks

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It wasn't meant to be a comprehensive evaluation. Just a simple comparison of interview styles. We still very much don't know how Hynes will turn out. We can only hope for the best.

Hynes is absolutely a much more inspiring speaker than DeBoer IMO. I don't even think it's close really.

Maybe that's just because Hynes is just a better speaker than DeBoer, I never thought DeBoer instilled amazing confidence in interviews though.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013

It was a quick impression based on their personalities as they present themselves in interviews. So far Hynes projects confidence while PDB never did. Hynes seems like a leader. Time will tell just how effective he is as a coach at the NHL level.

Considering Pete's "success" in the NHL I can't see him as a good coach. You can already tell that Hynes doesn't believe in the country club mentality that PDB apparently bought into. That may change over time as Hynes develops 'his favorites' but for now it's a breath of fresh air.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Hynes is absolutely a much more inspiring speaker than DeBoer IMO. I don't even think it's close really.

Maybe that's just because Hynes is just a better speaker than DeBoer, I never thought DeBoer instilled amazing confidence in interviews though.

Yeah, in my opinion, Hynes is a much better speaker and interview than DeBoer. It is possible that Hynes will ultimately prove that he can't back up his talk (so basically is all flash and no substance), but really Pete hadn't been getting results either and stunting the development of Larsson at least if not other players. He needed to go; we have to hope that his replacement will prove to be better.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It was a quick impression based on their personalities as they present themselves in interviews. So far Hynes projects confidence while PDB never did. Hynes seems like a leader. Time will tell just how effective he is as a coach at the NHL level.

Considering Pete's "success" in the NHL I can't see him as a good coach. You can already tell that Hynes doesn't believe in the country club mentality that PDB apparently bought into. That may change over time as Hynes develops 'his favorites' but for now it's a breath of fresh air.
Not to take this off topic, but Kevin Kurz (or maybe it was Curtis Pashelka of the Mercury Times? I forget which one I read it from) had an article on Pete yesterday. And it had some BS quotes about how he plays whoever gives us the best chance to win, contract length and salary/veteran tenure didn't matter. They even had Corey Stillman who played for him in Florida, vouching for him and saying the same thing.

Whether it's this year or next year, Doug will regret this hiring.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

Darryl Sutter has been mumbling his way through press conferences for years. Being able to talk to the media and being a good coach don't always go hand in hand.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Nobody is arguing that being a good speaker or interview is a sure sign of an excellent coach. We were merely observing that Hynes is a better speaker and interview than Pete. Whether he will be a better NHL coach than Pete remains to be seen, although in all but 2011-2012 Pete didn't establish an insanely high bar in the NHL. I'm excited to see what Hynes can do. He seems to have some great ideas that I'd like to see if he can put into practice and hope that he can.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Not to take this off topic, but Kevin Kurz (or maybe it was Curtis Pashelka of the Mercury Times? I forget which one I read it from) had an article on Pete yesterday. And it had some BS quotes about how he plays whoever gives us the best chance to win, contract length and salary/veteran tenure didn't matter. They even had Corey Stillman who played for him in Florida, vouching for him and saying the same thing.

Whether it's this year or next year, Doug will regret this hiring.

We've seen firsthand just how untrue that is. I hope with Hynes it's more than just lip service.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Little Gio can be sent to Albany regardless. One way/two way contracts adjust how much the player makes in the given league. If it's two way, they make less in the AHL then they do in the NHL. If it's one way, they make their full salary regardless.

If Little Gio is a one way, that just means he gets paid the same in Albany, which isn't very much to begin with. Since Zubrus was bought out to be waived, I doubt they'd care about having Little Gio make less than 1 mill in Albany.

Wonder if Lou would claim him.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
I'm worried some might overreact to Sunday's game. Have to remember Hynes has only started putting the system in. We might look really disorganized against the Bruins.

Bruins sound pretty ****ing disorganized already after the draft and offseason :laugh:

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I'm worried some might overreact to Sunday's game. Have to remember Hynes has only started putting the system in. We might look really disorganized against the Bruins.

Overreaction is always possible with fans, but hopefully we can all remember it's the pre-season and Hynes only had a short time to begin establishing his system.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Overreaction is always possible with fans, but hopefully we can all remember it's the pre-season and Hynes only had a short time to begin establishing his system.

Not only that, but we're still not very good up front. Hynes pretty much has the same crap to work with at forward that Pete did, although as a whole they might be a little quicker than last year. Hopefully he can come up with something to at least help cover our weaknesses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig