Devils Team Discussion (team/player news and notes) ‎2015 offseason IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I'm glad Shero is not panicking and came out and said he has no interest in 30+ year old players.
Lou would try to plug holes with whatever UFA scraps are out there with the hope of somehow squeezing into the playoffs.

I would however try Semin out on a one year deal. He is talented but is only motivated when he needs to be for $$$$ He is the new Kovalev. However I still think if on a one year "show me" deal , he can be a 20-20 guy at the least.

Would love Frolik as well , but appears he will be highly sought after and take an overpayment that I would not be comfortable with.

I would hope Shero kicks the tires on players like Oshie Skinner Yakapov even Drouin (Drouin rumoured to be upset that he was only one in top of his draft year to be sent down his first year , and now seeing limited ice time )

If we need to give up Merrill and or Gelinas , Shero said he would like to give Hulk and other young D from Albany a shot this year. Also could look at signing Oduya Martin or Beauchemin to replace any D we trade.

I also would love to toss out an offer sheet or threaten to offer one to players like Huberdeau Nyquivst Galchenyuk :naughty:

Last edited:

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I wouldn't mind Semin on a 1 yr deal. I don't see how it could hurt. If he sucks, oh well cut him. If he's good, great. We have like 1 or 2 legit RWs, I think he fills a need and would be one of our most talented players.

This.
If he sucks...it's only one year and we currently only have two NHL quality RW's on the roster.
If he does good , and we are out of a playoff picture , we can flip him for an asset.

We have lots of cap space , I would be totally fine with one year deal for Semin , even though it would take $$$ to outbid other teams , hopefully nobody else offers a two year deal .

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Not sure if it was mentioned yet, but Johan Hedberg got hired as the goalie coach for the Sharks apparently. Wilson wouldn't confirm it, but Elliotte Friedman and a couple other guys tweeted that's what they'd heard.

And Shero said there might be a job in the organization for Foligno.

The only job he deserves, is maybe a custodian or a guy who cleans the bathroom's at the rock.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
The more I look at the team, the more I notice a few things.

1. It seems like Boucher or Matteau will get a serious opportunity at RW in the top nine. That being said I'm interested to see how a Cammalleri - Zajac - Matteau line would look.

2. We absolutely need to sign a quality top nine RW. I would love Frolik for this maybe somewhere around 5 years 5 million per, but for next year, we need another guy to play those minutes. Someone like Semin could be a placeholder. Frolik, Palmieri, and one of Boucher and Matteau would be ideal, nice mix of infusing youth while staying somewhat competitive.

3. If we're committing to Zacha/Josefson at center in the top nine, we need to have a back-up plan. Either invite a guy to camp like Gomez or take a shot on a guy like Hodgson on a cheap deal. We need to have a fall back option. Not necessarily Hodgson but a center that can play second or third line minutes well enough to take the weight off a guy like JJ or Zacha if they struggle.

4. I still think we need a veteran D man to stabilize one of the pairings with Greene -- Oduya, Beauchemin, and Martin are my top three choices -- hopefully on three year deals.

YouMyBoyBlue

Jul 19, 2013
He will never play again so it doesn't matter, and don't get your hopes up on a busy day. Odds are we will mostly be quiet.

Shero has no intention it seems to give out bad contracts to older guys.

Might be just a smokescreen. We have plenty of space. I'm feeling at least 2 tomorrow.

New Jack City

Dec 28, 2011
Can definitely get behind a Frolik and Beachemin day tomorrow, but Im expecting a 1 year deal on someone like Semin and thats it.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
been saying all along that Matteau or Boucher will play RW. ya'll doubted me! :laugh:

I posted it in that line-up above:

Cammalleri - Zajac - Matteau/Kalinin
Henrique - Josefson - Palmieri
Elias - Zacha - Frolik
Ruutu - Coleman - Tootoo
Zubrus - Gionta

I really like that for next year. Realistically, we're probably anywhere from fifth to eighth worst in the league with that roster. However, with break out seasons from a few guys, that team could easily be a bubble team. It's a nice mix of staying young and rebuilding while also trying to compete. We could be the Calgary of next year -- they had A LOT of guys break out for them last year which propelled them into a playoff spot.

EDIT: Forgot Kalinin

Last edited:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Well we don't know how much the new administration is going to value handedness playing on the correct side yet, if at all. I think it'd be more likely Matteau moves over than Boucher just cause of the game they both play but it's also possible Boucher doesn't even make the team. Or he makes the team as third line LW and Matteau as fourth line LW, I'm not sure why Matteau needs to be in the top nine yet.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Might be just a smokescreen. We have plenty of space. I'm feeling at least 2 tomorrow.

I think he's telling the truth. I doubt he makes any moves of significance. We have a ton of flexibility under the cap and our team isn't in a position to compete right now. There's literally no reason to tie our hands with a free agent right now who will be an albatross when we're ready to compete. Shero will keep the cap space so that when we're ready to compete, we can retain our own players and make a few big splashes to put us over the top.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
The more I look at the team, the more I notice a few things.

1. It seems like Boucher or Matteau will get a serious opportunity at RW in the top nine. That being said I'm interested to see how a Cammalleri - Zajac - Matteau line would look.

2. We absolutely need to sign a quality top nine RW. I would love Frolik for this maybe somewhere around 5 years 5 million per, but for next year, we need another guy to play those minutes. Someone like Semin could be a placeholder. Frolik, Palmieri, and one of Boucher and Matteau would be ideal, nice mix of infusing youth while staying somewhat competitive.

3. If we're committing to Zacha/Josefson at center in the top nine, we need to have a back-up plan. Either invite a guy to camp like Gomez or take a shot on a guy like Hodgson on a cheap deal. We need to have a fall back option. Not necessarily Hodgson but a center that can play second or third line minutes well enough to take the weight off a guy like JJ or Zacha if they struggle.

4. I still think we need a veteran D man to stabilize one of the pairings with Greene -- Oduya, Beauchemin, and Martin are my top three choices -- hopefully on three year deals.

Agree with UFA D you listed, what about Mike Green ? Is he crappy defensively ? I have not watched him that much recently to know.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Not sure if it was mentioned yet, but Johan Hedberg got hired as the goalie coach for the Sharks apparently. Wilson wouldn't confirm it, but Elliotte Friedman and a couple other guys tweeted that's what they'd heard.

And Shero said there might be a job in the organization for Foligno.

The only job he deserves, is maybe a custodian or a guy who cleans the bathroom's at the rock.

Ah I was wondering why they picked Clemmensen over Moose for the Albany/rover job, but it seems like it was more a case of Moose getting a better gig (with an NHL team).

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Well we don't know how much the new administration is going to value handedness playing on the correct side yet, if at all. I think it'd be more likely Matteau moves over than Boucher just cause of the game they both play but it's also possible Boucher doesn't even make the team. Or he makes the team as third line LW and Matteau as fourth line LW, I'm not sure why Matteau needs to be in the top nine yet.

Not saying he deserves or needs to be, but he's absolutely going to get an opportunity.

Right now, we have Palmieri, Tootoo, Kalinin, and maybe Zubrus on that side. I think there's a solid chance they put him with some guys in the top nine to see if he can mesh well with any of them.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Not saying he deserves or needs to be, but he's absolutely going to get an opportunity.

Right now, we have Palmieri, Tootoo, Kalinin, and maybe Zubrus on that side. I think there's a solid chance they put him with some guys in the top nine to see if he can mesh well with any of them.

Well I think it's too early to say that before July 1, I'm reasonably sure at least one more RW will be brought in - whether in FA or via trade.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

Agree with UFA D you listed, what about Mike Green ? Is he crappy defensively ? I have not watched him that much recently to know.

He's improved apparently, but we don't need his type of game honestly. I feel like if we were to sign someone, we would absolutely want someone to anchor a pairing, Green is not doing that.

Plus, then you run into the problem of who to pair him with. Gelinas-Green is a disaster waiting to happen. Merrill-Green leaves Gelinas-Severson together which I'm not too comfortable about.

TaiMaiShu

Aug 12, 2005
Didn't Cammalleri play RW in Calgary? I like the look of the first line and giving a look at what Josefson between AH and KP.

New Jack City

Dec 28, 2011

Not good defensively, but really wouldn't mind his offensive presence at all, him and Sevs on the PP could be deadly. With that being said, hes likely to get a 5-7 year deal from someone for a nice chunk of change and I'd rather not be the team to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad