Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Minors > College

Professionals > Amateurs

I dunno, Lately i feel like i have seen a bunch of 3 or 4 year college players come in and be good players into the NHL.

Wrong side of 30. Shero would have zero interest from his comments unless he took a one year deal and that it is.

I think if its for a year im fine. I would be shocked if Semin gets more then a year from anyone.

For a year and being just 30 y/o's for year its not bad.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Minors > College

Professionals > Amateurs

There is plenty of very good NHL players who played 4 years in college in didn't get their start until 23, 24 or 25. We've had plenty of them in the past like Pandolfo, Madden, Rafalski, and most recently Mark Fayne.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
There is plenty of very good NHL players who played 4 years in college in didn't get their start until 23, 24 or 25. We've had plenty of them in the past like Pandolfo, Madden, Rafalski, and most recently Mark Fayne.

Greene is another, for a good example of one who still plays here. I'm definitely not expecting big things from Coleman, but it also wouldn't surprise me if he can cut it in a bottom 6 role.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Greene is another, for a good example of one who still plays here. I'm definitely not expecting big things from Coleman, but it also wouldn't surprise me if he can cut it in a bottom 6 role.
I can't believe I forgot Greene... but for Coleman, having an NHL career is success.

blink

Mar 6, 2002
Ontario
Absolutely intrigued by Cody Hodgson. Potential for a bounce back is big. If we could get him for a moderate contract it could turn out to be an absolute steal. Has had some attitude problems in the past but I'm thinking this ordeal may have humbled him. If he works hard on his D and pots 20 goals that would be amazing. Young, fast, and skilled and plays C or RW

Except he's not fast...

blink

Mar 6, 2002
Ontario
Although general manager Ray Shero said today it was “hard to sayâ€, it appears unlikely the Devils will be among the teams making a big splash when the unrestricted free agent market opens at noon on Wednesday.

The Devils have plenty of room under the $71.4 million salary cap, but the UFA market is thin this year and Shero clearly is going to be picky about any moves involving older players or contracts of more than one year.

“If there is something it will be more in line with what I've talked about before: if there's any term involved, it's a player of the right age and they fit in for not just next year,†Shero said.

Shero has talked about adding a player or two, but is not interested in a “a player for term, that is 35 of 36.â€

It sounds as if Shero's plans to wait for the dust to settle after the initial signing frenzy and then see if there are any UFAs left or players available via trade that fit his team.

“If we don't go in for a free agent of a certain age, then we'll look for a trade or a free agent on a one-year deal or something like that, but with more value and that fits in with what we want to do and how we want to play,†Shero said.

From TG's blog. http://fireandice.northjersey.com/f...inquired-about-saad-whitney-leaving-1.1366023

This is good news. Usually FA signings are a bad idea, especially UFA as we've seen of late. Especially in this market which is mediocre.

I think a trade is a more likely impact move. Shero wants to put his imprint on this roster and I think he will bring in more forward help by moving a Dman.

Does anyone think Merrill is safe? I think him and Gelly are the main trade assets at this point.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
if the worst team in the league buys you out, that tells me something

His dad supposedly demanded that he get a top 2 center spot in Vancouver, so they sent him to Buffalo who gave him that chance, and it was a complete disaster. Nothing about Hodgson screams successful career.

YouMyBoyBlue

Jul 19, 2013
I feel like we will be busy tomorrow. Hope we get some good signings. That said, I'm looking at Spotrac and I forgot Clowe is still in this team til 2018. :shakehead

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I feel like we will be busy tomorrow. Hope we get some good signings. That said, I'm looking at Spotrac and I forgot Clowe is still in this team til 2018. :shakehead

He will never play again so it doesn't matter, and don't get your hopes up on a busy day. Odds are we will mostly be quiet.

Shero has no intention it seems to give out bad contracts to older guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad