Devils Team Discussion (team/player news and notes) ‎2015 offseason IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I think he's telling the truth. I doubt he makes any moves of significance. We have a ton of flexibility under the cap and our team isn't in a position to compete right now. There's literally no reason to tie our hands with a free agent right now who will be an albatross when we're ready to compete. Shero will keep the cap space so that when we're ready to compete, we can retain our own players and make a few big splashes to put us over the top.

Semin on a one year is not handcuffing us at all.
Frolik is a very versatile player that can play on the wing or C , very good on the PK , can be put on the PP , has decent wheels , can put the puck in the net , has good size and is not afraid to hit.

I would be more than fine with Frolik on a long term deal , if it is reasonable term and $$
Say 5 mil / 5 years max.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Well I think it's too early to say that before July 1, I'm reasonably sure at least one more RW will be brought in - whether in FA or via trade.

Let's say we add a capable top nine guy via trade or free agency. To keep it simple let's assume it's Frolik.

Our RW depth would look something like Frolik - Palmieri - Kalinin - Tootoo - Zubrus - Thompson. I would rather Tootoo and Zubrus stay away from the top nine, ideally that's the case if this team is going to be somewhat competitive. I'm not sold on Thompson yet either and we still have to wait and see on Kalinin.

Regardless, Matteau and Boucher will definitely be tested their in training camp to see how it works and to see if they gel with any of the guys on the left side. It's essentially their chance to run away with the job. Same goes for Kalinin.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Rather give Semin a 1 year ~5 million deal vs Frolik over 4 years.

Zajac, Elias, Camm
Henrique, Ruutu, Zubrus
Palmieri, Gionta, Tootoo
Josefson, Matteau, Boucher/Kalinin

Not sure we would even have room for Semin or another Forward until next offseason when we drop Ruutu and Zubrus.

I am worried that Pitt may be the ones that goes for Semin. And I do not want to see how good of a line SEmin/Malkin or Semin/Crosby is next season.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Semin on a one year is not handcuffing us at all.
Frolik is a very versatile player that can play on the wing or C , very good on the PK , can be put on the PP , has decent wheels , can put the puck in the net , has good size and is not afraid to hit.

I would be more than fine with Frolik on a long term deal , if it is reasonable term and $$
Say 5 mil / 5 years max.

Frolik will have better offers from more competitive teams anyway, so it doesn't matter. We would still regret giving him 5 years.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice 3m3 minutes ago

Tom Gulitti retweeted Talking Red

He might,

Tom Gulitti added,
Talking Red @TalkingRed
@TGfireandice if Ray Shero has time, do you think he'll use it?

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Rather give Semin a 1 year ~5 million deal vs Frolik over 4 years.

Frolik is 27. Plays a Zubrus-esque game where he's still valuable even when he's not producing.

He is at the prime age where he can be a factor now and still find a spot on a team three or four years down the road. He could move to 3LW or 3RW or he can compliment two guys on the first line down the road. Just think about how Zubrus/Ponikarovsky where on the Stanley Cup team. They weren't amazing players but they were solid, reliable, and could be moved around in a bunch of different roles.

Frolik is practically the only free agent I'm interested in giving five years in this market.

New Jack City

Dec 28, 2011
Frolik is going to get some ridiculous coin tomorrow I think. I mean, hes the only relatively young attractive option available.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I'd be okay with Frolik at 5 years, as long as the salary isn't ridiculous. But I also agree that he's probably going to get offers from better teams. I'm not sure he'd want to sign with the Devils. Unless he wants to play with fellow Czechs.

Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey
No Kalinin? Josefson on the 2nd line?

Kalinin could play in the AHL next season and he said he wouldn't complain. Shero said Josefson will have a chance to play second line consistently throughout the season.

I want Josefson to succeed and I think he has all the tools, he just hasn't put it all together yet. Playing the same role continuously and maybe even with consistent line mates will help him a ton.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Josefson on the second line scares me. It's one thing to give a kid an opportunity. It's another to ask him to be something he's not, and Josefson is not a top 6 forward.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I'd be okay with Frolik at 5 years, as long as the salary isn't ridiculous. But I also agree that he's probably going to get offers from better teams. I'm not sure he'd want to sign with the Devils. Unless he wants to play with fellow Czechs.

I would pay five years 5.5 million per for Frolik.

I would probably also do six years at 5 million per.

Regardless, I would not hesitate to add Frolik to a long-term deal because of how versatile he is. You're looking at a guy that can play any position in your top nine and do it well. You don't have to worry about him fitting in a specific spot; you can test our prospects and young guys in different roles and move him around the line-up. Think Zubrus during his first contract with the Devils.

If you sign a guy like Semin, you absolutely have to put him in the top six and with talented linemates or he's not going to be effective.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
Josefson on the second line scares me. It's one thing to give a kid an opportunity. It's another to ask him to be something he's not, and Josefson is not a top 6 forward.

He's not had the chance to prove that he isn't. There's no harm in going into the season with him penciled in as 2C. If he sucks, he gets moved down the line up.

It's pointless and presumptuous to even be considering line combinations 24 hours before free agency and almost 4 months before opening night anyway. If Josefson is the 2C on opening night, he'll have earned the opportunity in camp and pre-season. I personally wouldn't expect it, but this is his make or break year and he needs to be thrown into the fire, especially considering the team as its likely to be composed. We have nothing to lose.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Frolik is 27. Plays a Zubrus-esque game where he's still valuable even when he's not producing.

He is at the prime age where he can be a factor now and still find a spot on a team three or four years down the road. He could move to 3LW or 3RW or he can compliment two guys on the first line down the road. Just think about how Zubrus/Ponikarovsky where on the Stanley Cup team. They weren't amazing players but they were solid, reliable, and could be moved around in a bunch of different roles.

Frolik is practically the only free agent I'm interested in giving five years in this market.

Frolik isn't nearly as good defensively as Zubrus was early 30s. I think it is an unnecessary risk to give a 40 PTS defensive winger a 5 year contract. We still need find core pieces upfront.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

We aren't trying to win the cup next year, and he has never been given a long fair chance.

Time to see what the kid can do.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Frolik isn't nearly as good defensively as Zubrus was early 30s. I think it is an unnecessary risk to give a 40 PTS defensive winger a 5 year contract. We still need find core pieces upfront.

We're not going to find core pieces through free agency. We have to develop those players, however, we still need quality NHL players.

Even then, you still need guys like Frolik when the team starts winning again. We gave Zubrus a six year contract when he was 29. That initial contract worked out very well for us, in my opinion.

I can see the same thing happening with Frolik. The rest of the guys in the free agency market are either short term fills or going to get contracts that I don't want the Devils offering.

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
The more I look at the team, the more I notice a few things.

1. It seems like Boucher or Matteau will get a serious opportunity at RW in the top nine. That being said I'm interested to see how a Cammalleri - Zajac - Matteau line would look.

2. We absolutely need to sign a quality top nine RW. I would love Frolik for this maybe somewhere around 5 years 5 million per, but for next year, we need another guy to play those minutes. Someone like Semin could be a placeholder. Frolik, Palmieri, and one of Boucher and Matteau would be ideal, nice mix of infusing youth while staying somewhat competitive.

3. If we're committing to Zacha/Josefson at center in the top nine, we need to have a back-up plan. Either invite a guy to camp like Gomez or take a shot on a guy like Hodgson on a cheap deal. We need to have a fall back option. Not necessarily Hodgson but a center that can play second or third line minutes well enough to take the weight off a guy like JJ or Zacha if they struggle.

4. I still think we need a veteran D man to stabilize one of the pairings with Greene -- Oduya, Beauchemin, and Martin are my top three choices -- hopefully on three year deals.

1) Matteau would be a great fit on the top line with his size. I liked what I saw last year and am happy he is appearing to be getting a shot. I have concerns about whether Boucher will translate to the NHL

2) Heck no to Semin and Frolik will price himself out for what he is. He apparently turned down 4.5 mil from Winnepeg. It is insane that a secondary scorer is going to get over 5 mil on the market.

3) I don't see Zacha sticking and any centermen who isn't a strong skater scares me. I know people don't agree with me but I want to see Henrique as the 2nd line center.

4) If we do get a vet, I am hoping its a LHD. We are jammed on the right side

On a side note, I was doing research and players that are in free agency and found 2 that I could see us going after (no they aren't sexy players)

- Devin Setoguchi
Only 28 years old and has scored more than 20 goals twice and 30 goals once. I know his game has fallen off lately but it wouldn't take much to get him and see if he sticks as a 3rd line RW. Still young enough to take a look

- Scott Glennie
Former top 10 pick in 2009 that has clearly been a bust so far. He has been productive in the AHL though and is only 24.

I don't expect any big signings tomorrow and am ok with that. Still players out there though that can be productive.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I would pay five years 5.5 million per for Frolik.

I would probably also do six years at 5 million per.

Regardless, I would not hesitate to add Frolik to a long-term deal because of how versatile he is. You're looking at a guy that can play any position in your top nine and do it well. You don't have to worry about him fitting in a specific spot; you can test our prospects and young guys in different roles and move him around the line-up. Think Zubrus during his first contract with the Devils.

If you sign a guy like Semin, you absolutely have to put him in the top six and with talented linemates or he's not going to be effective.

A Frolik deal would probably wind up like Zubrus's first contract with us...scary long (and like Zubrus, Frolik would be asked to do too much his first year or two here) but surprisingly the contract gets justified by the end of the deal.

I think that horse might be out of the barn though if he really does have a preference for Montreal.

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Frolik is going to get some ridiculous coin tomorrow I think. I mean, hes the only relatively young attractive option available.

I originally said that Frolik is the flavor of the week and some dumb team will pay him close to 6 mil per year and got laughed at. I might not be to far off...hope to god its not us paying it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad