Devils Team Discussion (team/player news and notes) ‎2015/16 II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
I would guess that either tomorrow or Thurs we get word if they plan to name a Captain for this team or hold off. It will be interesting to see what why they go with this.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't understand why they didn't just keep Paul Thompson up?
Maybe because Thompson isn't any good?

Gimme a break. The overhype of this Thompson guy is so bizarre. Joe Whitney didn't even receive this kind of hype after years of lighting up the AHL and only in his mid 20s. Thompson has ONE season where he lights up the AHL at 26-27 years old, while being meh before this, and so many people were clamoring for us to sign him to a two way contract last year.

At least O'Neill has just come up with two good AHL seasons in a row.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Not sure if this was posted. His line went on a tear last year and scored 27 points in three games. He looks like a pretty solid playmaker, especially on the PP. I don't see him doing anything in a 4th line role, but if he were to be paired with some skilled forwards he could definitely produce. He is a very good passer.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
I would guess that either tomorrow or Thurs we get word if they plan to name a Captain for this team or hold off. It will be interesting to see what why they go with this.

I had a strong feeling with all the positives that have been stated by Shero and Hynes that Elias might have been selected. Now that he will be out longer I don't have the same feelings.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Not sure if this was posted. His line went on a tear last year and scored 27 points in three games. He looks like a pretty solid playmaker, especially on the PP. I don't see him doing anything in a 4th line role, but if he were to be paired with some skilled forwards he could definitely produce. He is a very good passer.

Oh my, he played on a line with Andy Andreoff in the AHL? My buddy's second favorite team is the Kings, his favorite is the Devils. Oddly enough, he adopted the Kings as a second favorite team in 2010-2011 when he moved to California, though he no longer lives there. He's about 4 hours north of me in Jacksonville Florida.

He HATES Andy Andreoff, often compares him to Mike Sislo. He says the guy is like the Kings Sislo, I believe he even made their NHL team this year. :laugh:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I had a strong feeling with all the positives that have been stated by Shero and Hynes that Elias might have been selected. Now that he will be out longer I don't have the same feelings.

I've been leaning towards Henrique for the last week or two, it seems a few others on here have as well.

I'm 51% or 52% sure that Henrique will be the next captain. Then in the neighborhood of about 45% chance or so that it will be Greene.

So roughly less than a 5% chance that I feel someone else other than those two will get it. Cammalleri would be my dark horse if I had to guess. A VERY dark horse.

I actually don't think Elias will even be an A this year, unless it's rotated or one of the other guys with a letter becomes injured. I think starting the year with an injury might very well cause him to miss out on a letter. I wonder if he would have had one from the start anyway. I had a feeling for most of the offseason and that they might not give an Elias a letter anyway, due to this in all likelihood being his last season with us. And maybe wanting to go in a different direction with Greene and then a couple of the younger guys getting a letter. Josefson and Larsson both got A's for a preseason game.

I really don't think we'll see a letter on Elias this year, unless the A's are rotated. The only other older guy other than Greene I see with a letter is Cammy, as he's locked up for a while. Zajac is kind of an older guy I guess. He's 30 now. Zajac, Greene and maybe Cammalleri to a lesser extent are the only 30+ guys I see wearing letter's this year. I don't think all 3 will wear one obviously, but those are the only three 30+ year olds that I can see wearing one.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I'd kind of be surprised if it was anyone other than Henrique or Elias at this point, they've been pumping Henrique hard as the face of the team this offseason. Actually my top vote is probably they have no C, then Henrique, then Elias if I had to rank my prediction of what they'll do in weighted form. Of course if it's no C period we won't know that for sure till Patty comes back.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
I have a feeling its going to be Henrique and Im not sure why. I can see rotated A's all season between Elias, Greene, Zajac, and Cammy.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Brooks has the Devils at 29th. I just don't see it with Cory and the defense. Maybe we're better off for the Matthews lottery. However, I still think we'll finish about where we finished last year.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Brooks has the Devils at 29th. I just don't see it with Cory and the defense. Maybe we're better off for the Matthews lottery. However, I still think we'll finish about where we finished last year.

I honestly think this team is better than last year's team...

Palmieri and Stepniak will produce more than Ryder and Havlat.

The offensive black hole of Zubrus is gone, Josefson looks like he will contribute more, and our D are collectively a year older and more experienced.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Todd Cordell ‏@ToddCordell 3m3 minutes ago
The average age of players on New Jersey's opening night roster is 26.6. Only Buffalo & Edmonton (26.5) are younger, according to Sportsnet.

RIP stereotype

mainboard will still call us an old team though

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
I would have thought for sure Greene would be named captain, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Henrique named. Like NJDevs said it seems like they've been really making him the face of the organization this offseason.

I wonder why they don't allow players to just vote on their captains, like they do in the NFL and college football.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA

I'm with you.

Want to see something pretty scary?
http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...amid=18&type=individual&sort=toi&sortdir=DESC

Dainius Zubrus had the 4th most ES minutes of our forwards last year.

Replacing him with a Stempniak type will go a long way.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
So what are we thinking the opening night lineup looks like?

Cammalleri-Zajac-Palmieri
Henrique-Josefson-Tlusty
Boucher-Kalinin-Stempniak
Matteau-O'Neill-Ruutu

Greene-Larsson
Moore-Severson
Merrill-Gelinas

Schneider

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey

Henrique-Josefson-Tlusty
Matteau-O'Neill-Ruutu

Greene-Larsson
Moore-Severson
Merrill-Gelinas

Schneider

Switch Palmieri and Tlusty and that seems about right to me. Seems like they wanted to pair him with Henrique.

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia

Henrique-Josefson-Tlusty
Matteau-O'Neill-Ruutu

Greene-Larsson
Moore-Severson
Merrill-Gelinas

Schneider

As much as I love seeing Gionta left off...TG stated on his blog O'Neill arrives Thursday for practice and that isn't much time to get adjusted to the system and what the Devils are doing. Earliest he gets in is the following game or so.

Other than that, looks good minus maybe swapping Moore and Merrill.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Yeah I just wanted to leave Gionta off. I didn't know when O'Neill would be available. At least speed-wise this lineup looks like it will be able to keep up with the Jets.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
I'm with you.

Want to see something pretty scary?
http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...amid=18&type=individual&sort=toi&sortdir=DESC

Dainius Zubrus had the 4th most ES minutes of our forwards last year.

Replacing him with a Stempniak type will go a long way.

For those of you who care about such things, Vegas puts us in 26th with an O/U of 75.5 points, or basically almost identical to how last year finished points and teams wise.

http://www.vegasinsider.com/nhl/story.cfm/story/1707766

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Todd Cordell ‏@ToddCordell 3m3 minutes ago
The average age of players on New Jersey's opening night roster is 26.6. Only Buffalo & Edmonton (26.5) are younger, according to Sportsnet.

RIP stereotype

mainboard will still call us an old team though

It's insane how quickly that average age dropped within only a few months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad